• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Something That Kind Of Flew Under the Radar

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zajac going to tie Daneyko's consecutive game's record tonight. Per TG's blog.

Ken Daneyko has been retired for nearly eight years now, but the former Devils defenseman still has a little of that competitive fire in him.

That part would like to hold on to his Devils’ record of playing in 388 consecutive regular season games a little longer. But Daneyko knows that once Travis Zajac steps on the ice Tuesday night against Atlanta, he will share the record with Zajac, who would then be in line to break it Thursday night in Ottawa.

“Maybe I’ll wait for him and do a Tonya Harding attack on him before the game,” Daneyko joked.
Getting serious, Daneyko expressed great admiration for the 25-year-old Zajac, who hasn’t missed a game since Oct. 24, 2006 – the first month of his rookie season of 2006-07.

Daneyko’s consecutive games streak began on Nov. 4, 1989 and ended on March 29, 1994 when suffered a shoulder injury in a 5-2 win over Montreal.

“It lasted a long time, almost 20 years,” Danekyo said “All records are going to be broken eventually. I’m just glad it’s a player like Travis who I admire for his dedication and the way he plays the game. There are going to be days when you don’t feel your best. You have to play through injuries and illness, which I’m sure he has. He believes in that, as did I.”

Daneyko will be at Prudential Center Tuesday to do his part in the telecast on MSG Network and said he plans to congratulate Zajac when he sees him – either Tuesday or some time after that.”

“He deserves it,” Daneyko said. “It’s not easy to do that, especially the way the game is played today.”

Daneyko was referring to the increased speed and greater force on collisions with players getting bigger and faster and the elimination of obstruction fouls that used to slow the game down a bit. I told him that Zajac said it was probably harder for Daneyko as a defenseman to play so many games in a row with the hard minutes he used to play and the shots he used to block.

“There might be something to that,” Daneyko admitted. “You look at guys like Doug Jarvis (who holds the NHL record of 964 consecutive games) and Garry Unger (who held the record before Jarvis at 914 games) and some of the others that were forwards. But, Travis still deserves credit. It’s not an easy thing to do. To play almost five years without missing a game is impressive.”

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw that. pretty frigin impressive no matter what way you look at it.

the one thing i saw also was in chere's article about it he quoted dano as saying 'im not happy about it' but then also then didn't put anything implying he was joking, i'd assume he was and chere was just trying to spice up his article.

either way kudos to trav, hopefully this is a streak that continues to grow, and in a devils uni to boot

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonights the night? I know Doc, Chico, and Steve mention him getting close atleast once a game.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They did a classy announcement/post game interview after the game with Travis and Dano both at center ice.

UBDevils22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thursday Zajac gets his name in the books, alone in 1st

Congrats Travis!

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's pretty impressive considering how many seasons back this goes.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty impressive considering how many seasons back this goes.

Yeah, and especially impressive with the way the game is played today. Not to mention, Zajac is a guy that does what needs to be done, so he's not exactly a hands off kind of player.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Travis the interview with Daneyko at the end of the game was A great touch on an impressive streak.