• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Something No 49ers Fan Expected To See

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the numbers of Brady and Smith.

Brady and Alex have same amount of TDs, Ints and passes over 40 yards
Brady has 1 more pass over 20 yards
Brady has 47 more attempts than Smith 363 more total passing yards
Smith actually has a higher average than Brady by .1 yards per completion
Same number of times they have been sacked too with 12
Smith and Brady are tied for second in 1st% at 41.6

That is so eerily similar I bet no one would believe you if you said it.

Basically only difference is that the 49ers run the ball a lot more than the Patriots. And the Niners have a better record.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBR ranks: 49ers' Alex Smith leads NFL - NFC West Blog - ESPN

I know over-hyping is obnoxious, so I must place a disclaimer on this. My perspective - I don't think we'll see Alex up there very often if at all again, so I like to enjoy it. Regular season accolades mean nothing, but it's fun and better than the alternative. Winning is all that matters, but the panic from everyone after a 34-0 win didn't feel good last week re: Smith because it was the second game in a row he didn't do much. This evens out a little bit.

Analogy: I didn't like Lost in Translation that much (didn't dislike it either), but since I knew it was Bill Murray's only time he'd ever be nominated for Best Actor, I wanted him to win (Sean Penn got it for playing a mentally challenged man, again). Comedians never receive those type of awards. The best was Robin Williams getting Best Supporting Actor. So this was sort of like that, for Alex. (I know an Oscar is bigger than a mid-season snapshot of ratings, but it's a loose analogy.)

I'm hoping for a 117.2 next week as a tempered hope (average between this game and the Jets game).

Last edited by a moderator:

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
QBR ranks: 49ers' Alex Smith leads NFL - NFC West Blog - ESPN

I know over-hyping is obnoxious, so I must place a disclaimer on this. My perspective - I don't think we'll see Alex up there very often if at all again, so I like to enjoy it. Regular season accolades mean nothing, but it's fun and better than the alternative. Winning is all that matters, but the panic from everyone after a 34-0 win didn't feel good last week re: Smith because it was the second game in a row he didn't do much. This evens out a little bit.

Analogy: I didn't like Lost in Translation that much (didn't dislike it either), but since I knew it was Bill Murray's only time he'd ever be nominated for Best Actor, I wanted him to win (Sean Penn got it for playing a mentally challenged man, again). Comedians never receive those type of awards. The best was Robin Williams getting Best Supporting Actor. So this was sort of like that, for Alex. (I know an Oscar is bigger than a mid-season snapshot of ratings, but it's a loose analogy.)

I'm hoping for a 117.2 next week as a tempered hope (average between this game and the Jets game).

MHSL82... You're forgetting Tom Hanks started out as a comedian

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MHSL82... You're forgetting Tom Hanks started out as a comedian

Touche - perhaps I should have said if you're known as a comedian, you're not getting the Best Actor Award. If Alex Smith ended the season on the top of the ratings and we win the Super Bowl (MVP), it'd be like Jerry Seinfeld getting the Best Actor award. If we win the Super Bowl with him with slightly above last year's numbers, he'd get Best Supporting Actor (in a QB role). Or is it Best Supporting QB (in an acting role). (Just like interrim presidents of a company are called acting presidents.)

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still think our offense has room for improvement as roman figures out more ways to utilize the options we have on offense. we can throw out so many different looks at a defense, they should always be a step behind.

along with the improved play of the offensive line, our offense could become one of the top offenses in the league. now its up to smith to continue playing well.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
along with the improved play of the offensive line, our offense could become one of the top offenses in the league.

In terms of yards & points, that's not going to happen. However, the Niners' O could end up being one of the tops in time of posssession.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we're not gonna put up huge yards and points because of the defense and our mvp andy lee. i just think we'll be able to consistently move the ball on good defenses and more importantly convert more on those 3rd and longs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i still think our offense has room for improvement as roman figures out more ways to utilize the options we have on offense. we can throw out so many different looks at a defense, they should always be a step behind.

along with the improved play of the offensive line, our offense could become one of the top offenses in the league. now its up to smith to continue playing well.

yes, there is always room for improvement. but IMO they already have enough talent and schemes on offense, it is now more execution than options.

more options are ok but don't overdo it, keep close to what your players execute best.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In terms of yards & points, that's not going to happen. However, the Niners' O could end up being one of the tops in time of posssession.

Right now they're 8th with an average of 32:27. I'll show how close it is near the top and it probably will remain that way for much of the year. If the 49ers were averaging just 33 seconds more per game, it would put them at 33:00/game and they would move all the way up to 4th. Houston is first right now with an average of 35:29/game.

Teams ahead of SF right now:

1. Houston - 35:29

2. Pittsburgh - 34:17

3. Kansas City - 33:05 (only averaging 18.8 pts/game, which is by far the worst among the top 8 teams)

4. Detroit - 32:54

5. Chicago - 32:49

6. Atlanta - 32:47

7. San Diego - 32:29

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well we're not gonna put up huge yards and points because of the defense and our mvp andy lee. i just think we'll be able to consistently move the ball on good defenses and more importantly convert more on those 3rd and longs.

With our defense, time of possession, and presumably an improved offense, we could be high in the league in average victory, after the Bills/Jets games. Last year, every game seemed to be really close outside of Tampa Bay. We do have a defensive division, so we may not go that high since we play them all twice. Our offense doesn't seem to be the type where we'll have that high point differential by simply scoring a lot. Defenses and special teams could help greatly. (I know, duh.)

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get a good test this week against the Giants. They are probably the most balanced team we will have faced this year. As for our NFC West opponents I'm still taking a wait and see approach with how good their defenses really are this year. I want to see them do it to us and be able to put up points on our D with their offense.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get a good test this week against the Giants. They are probably the most balanced team we will have faced this year. As for our NFC West opponents I'm still taking a wait and see approach with how good their defenses really are this year. I want to see them do it to us and be able to put up points on our D with their offense.

I want to see them try it on us and not be able to put up points on our D with their offense. ;)

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I-like-where-this-thread-is-going-2.jpg

I love this meme.