• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Something No 49ers Fan Expected To See

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I-like-where-this-thread-is-going-2.jpg

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trend over the last decade or longer has been pass friendly, with the rule changes, the offensive philosophies passed down to OC-turned-HCs, and better/stronger QBs, etc. If Smith continues his success and gets a Kolb or someone else to follow suit, we may see a trend of higher variety of approaches. If Smith's approach fails and no one adapts it as their own, then will get (basically) just one approach - get a big passer or replace who you've got.

We've seen weaker QBs with great defenses before, lean on the run, but the QBs are replaced. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't consider Smith to be a weaker QB, (not elite either) but for sake of argument, I will lump him into that category. If he succeeds and the team embraces this approach (while expecting improvement in execution), this may lead to something in the NFL.

I won't say Alex's approach is unique, it's worked here and there, but he's embraced it, for better or worse. It has some sense. 'Taking what the defense gives you' has it's positives.

1. Defenses cannot defend everything.
2. No QB completes every pass.
3. Controlling the clock is great if you can do it.
4. You play to your strengths. (If it doesn't work, replace the player.)

Since defenses cannot defend everything, we will have our opportunities. That may lead to more runs or more plays in general, but that allows us to work the clock. Yes, we can throw to where the defense gives us and fail to execute, but it's not like the other approaches don't have execution problems. Our running game is our strength, so taking what the defense gives you can either make your strength better or open up something for your weaker aspect. No forcing on your weak side. This will most often leave 3rd and shorts.

This doesn't mean an agressive attack the defense doesn't work. It clearly does, but other approaches with the right personnel can work, too.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The trend over the last decade or longer has been pass friendly, with the rule changes, the offensive philosophies passed down to OC-turned-HCs, and better/stronger QBs, etc. If Smith continues his success and gets a Kolb or someone else to follow suit, we may see a trend of higher variety of approaches. If Smith's approach fails and no one adapts it as their own, then will get (basically) just one approach - get a big passer or replace who you've got.

We've seen weaker QBs with great defenses before, lean on the run, but the QBs are replaced. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't consider Smith to be a weaker QB, (not elite either) but for sake of argument, I will lump him into that category. If he succeeds and the team embraces this approach (while expecting improvement in execution), this may lead to something in the NFL.

I won't say Alex's approach is unique, it's worked here and there, but he's embraced it, for better or worse. It has some sense. 'Taking what the defense gives you' has it's positives.

1. Defenses cannot defend everything.
2. No QB completes every pass.
3. Controlling the clock is great if you can do it.
4. You play to your strengths. (If it doesn't work, replace the player.)

Since defenses cannot defend everything, we will have our opportunities. That may lead to more runs or more plays in general, but that allows us to work the clock. Yes, we can throw to where the defense gives us and fail to execute, but it's not like the other approaches don't have execution problems. Our running game is our strength, so taking what the defense gives you can either make your strength better or open up something for your weaker aspect. No forcing on your weak side. This will most often leave 3rd and shorts.

This doesn't mean an agressive attack the defense doesn't work. It clearly does, but other approaches with the right personnel can work, too.

One can also say that since the trend of today's NFL is pass friendly, opposing defenses will try to focus on stopping the pass and build the personnel on their team that way. With the 49ers run first approach, they get a slight advantage of having the opposing defensive personnel geared to stop the pass more than the run

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think '49ers' could be changed to 'NFL'

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a go out on limb and say Peyton Manning gets the MVP award.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the life has been sucked out of this thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thiiiiis close. ANY one of the seven or so dropped catches (of at least 4 yards) would have given Alex the top spot for QB rating. I'm sure that'd also be something no one expected after two or more games. (I suppose a great opener would have been conceivable before.)

Matt Ryan 117.6
Alex Smith 115.9

One 4 yard catch on one drop would have put Alex at 117.7.
A pass interference call (non-attempt) would have Alex at 117.9.

A good to great game next week might do it, though.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOT making a comparison, but Manning was ahead of Alex before this 3 INT game. He's now at 87.7 (18th). Manning will rise up the rankings throughout the season and I expect Alex to eventually be somewhere between 5-12 because it's an efficiency thing.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how flaws ratings can be, I think this qualifies as something else no one expected. Schaub could ruin it tomorrow, so we'll enjoy it while it lasts.

NFL Quarterback Ratings