• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Something has to change with these divisions

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully realize that luck plays a part. But shouldn't we do whatever we can to minimize how much luck is a factor?

I hate seeing a year like 2011 where the mostly hapless Giants somehow won a Super Bowl based on just about ever bounce going their way.

I don't. They did enough to get into the playoffs. Once the playoffs start every team is 0-0. Its a whole new season. Besides how would you ever stop a "lucky" team from going on a three or four game streak where they just happen to get all the breaks?

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, not so fast...let's explain why there would be a need to reseed after the WC round? I haven't gotten my head around there being a need to do that very often at all.

Just using this as an example.

CIN 13-3, 1 seed
DEN 12-4, 2 seed
NE 10-6, 3 seed
IND 9-7, 4 seed
KC 11-5 WC 5 seed
PIT 11-5 WC 6 seed

In the 2nd round...I'm struggling to find a way a road team will have a better record. I'm not saying it could never happen, but the likelihood of is not strong enough to take action imo.
As flyerhawk pointed out a WC team has had a better record than the 2 seed 3 times in the last 3 seasons. Not exactly a rare occur4nce, yes? I'm sure the 2nd seed team would scream bloody murder over losing a home playoff game, but at least they earned a bye.

I honestly don't mind the current format. Want a home game win your division, plain and simple.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. They did enough to get into the playoffs. Once the playoffs start every team is 0-0. Its a whole new season. Besides how would you ever stop a "lucky" team from going on a three or four game streak where they just happen to get all the breaks?

You can't stop lucky. But you can limit the influence of lucky.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck/chance plays a role, but we shouldn't want it to be the star of the show. A team with a losing record simply shouldn't be hosting a playoff game over a double digit win team. Barely winning a crappy division shouldn't get you more than an invite to the tournament. You know, fairness and stuff.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As flyerhawk pointed out a WC team has had a better record than the 2 seed 3 times in the last 3 seasons. Not exactly a rare occur4nce, yes? I'm sure the 2nd seed team would scream bloody murder over losing a home playoff game, but at least they earned a bye.

I honestly don't mind the current format. Want a home game win your division, plain and simple.

Didn't see Flyerhawk's post...no, then not exactly rare using a 3 yr window, but I still don't see it happening enough to take action.

My battle here is more about defending divisional play than the reseeding the second round.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck/chance plays a role, but we shouldn't want it to be the star of the show. A team with a losing record simply shouldn't be hosting a playoff game over a double digit win team. Barely winning a crappy division shouldn't get you more than an invite to the tournament. You know, fairness and stuff.
If they won their division, they absolutely deserve to host a playoff game.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what's fair? Getting a chance to win your division. Every team in a division plays the same schedule for 14 of the 16 games. They also get to play each other twice. When you look at their records, you're making an apples to apples comparison.

But comparing one division winner to a wild card team from another division is not a straight comparison. Their schedules are drastically different. They might only have 1 or 2 games against the same opponent, and may not have played each other at all. So you can't really say for certainty that an 11 win wild card team is better than a 9 win division winner, for example.

So just leave it as is. Go win your division. And if you're a wild card team that has to go on the road, prove you're better (like the 2013 49ers).

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they won their division, they absolutely deserve to host a playoff game.

It's funny how people take making the playoffs for granted and consider a home game being the reward for winning a division. The reward is an automatic spot in the playoffs. A 7-9 team doesn't need any more reward than that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how people take making the playoffs for granted and consider a home game being the reward for winning a division. The reward is an automatic spot in the playoffs. A 7-9 team doesn't need any more reward than that.

Not matter of taking anything for granted...it's the prize for winning the DIV...a home game in the playoffs.

We would have gone from adding a WC round to potentially giving a WC team an advantage over a DIV winner...I think you're better off dropping DIV play and taking the top 6 in each conference.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not matter of taking anything for granted...it's the prize for winning the DIV...a home game in the playoffs.

We would have gone from adding a WC round to potentially giving a WC team an advantage over a DIV winner...I think you're better off dropping DIV play and taking the top 6 in each conference.

Right...and I'm saying the prize for winning the DIV should be an automatic spot in the playoffs (when any other 7-9 team doesn't sniff the playoffs). Why does a division winner need two prizes? Theoretically, why does a 14-2 team deserve to be penalized and have to play on the road because they have a 16-0 team in their division.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the format they have but I tend to think a few divisions have severe lack of quality teams. The Colts could start my grandma at quarterback and win the AFC South.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the format they have but I tend to think a few divisions have severe lack of quality teams. The Colts could start my grandma at quarterback and win the AFC South.

How's her scrambling skills?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's taking making the playoffs for granted? I'm saying if you win your division, your reward is to host a playoff game.

Why should a team that couldn't even win it's own division be rewarded with a home playoff game? Their reward is to go to the playoffs. A non division winner doesn't need any more reward than that.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right...and I'm saying the prize for winning the DIV should be an automatic spot in the playoffs (when any other 7-9 team doesn't sniff the playoffs). Why does a division winner need two prizes? Theoretically, why does a 14-2 team deserve to be penalized and have to play on the road because they have a 16-0 team in their division.
They aren't getting two prizes, they're getting one: a home playoff game. A wild card team is essentially getting a consolation prize. It's like saying, although you weren't good enough to win your division, you still had a pretty good record, so we'll give you a chance to prove how good you are by letting you into the playoffs.

And your second scenario has never happened in NFL history and is extremely unlikely to ever happen. But if it were to happen, I would expect that 14-2 team to go on the road and make mincemeat of whatever division winner they happened to play.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't getting two prizes, they're getting one: a home playoff game.

That's two prizes.

1. Playoff game
2. It's home

The division structure is important. Division rivalries are great. An automatic spot in the playoffs (no matter how bad your record may be) is an incredible prize for winning your division. I just don't see the need in adding to it by saying they get to also play at home.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what if it's two prizes?

Win a road game! Build your team to win on the road. Simple.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's two prizes.

1. Playoff game
2. It's home

The division structure is important. Division rivalries are great. An automatic spot in the playoffs (no matter how bad your record may be) is an incredible prize for winning your division. I just don't see the need in adding to it by saying they get to also play at home.
Why should a non division winner get two prizes? They couldn't even win their division, so you want to reward them with a home playoff game?

It's pretty easy to win your division, you're only competing with 3 other teams. So just go win it. Otherwise, be grateful you even get an invite to the playoffs.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

false the 5 seed has had the same but not better and only once 2013 car/sf

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should a non division winner get two prizes? They couldn't even win their division, so you want to reward them with a home playoff game?

It's pretty easy to win your division, you're only competing with 3 other teams. So just go win it. Otherwise, be grateful you even get an invite to the playoffs.

Ask Seattle how easy it is to win their division (or GB or Min) and you want to gift wrap a home playoff game to whatever lame ass team comes away with the NFCE title.