• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Something concerning contact (twitter) with recruits....

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple people have asked me questions about the rules concerning twitter and contacting recruits. I am not a professional or expert by any means, so please chime in if you know, but I have gathered some info on it.

It is obviously best NOT to have any contact with recruits that you did not know prior to recruitment over twitter. It can and in some cases has been used to go after teams. The powers that be at the NCAA can make it into an "official contact" in the event that you contribute money in any way to the school....

So, to answer the questions....better to be safe and just don't do it, I guess. Twitter is public and one or two tweets started all of this shit with UNC so...yeah.....

Hope this helps!

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agree 100%.

If anyone donates money to Tech, or buys tickets to the games, they are considered to be a booster. Even those Tech fans with a subscription to Beamerball, Coach Beamer's official website, are technically considered to be boosters. Boosters are not allowed to contact recruits in any way shape or form, especially those recruits who have offers from Tech.

Now, having said that, it's okay to follow recruits, players, or coaches on Twitter or Facebook...it's a very good way to get information on what's going on. But, just don't contact the recruits in any way.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree with you guys on this. I highly recommend this being a sticky. This board is growing so much, people new to the board may eventually miss this vital information.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when Myspace existed, Jason (then Adjepong) Worilds posted some REALLY creepy IM convos between him and desperate Rutgers fans and Notre Dame fans and titled it "THIS IS WHY I CHOSE TECH".

There's always going to be some a-holes, weirdos that follow these kids around on twitter from any school, including Tech, but I choose not to be one of them. I have much better things to do than follow an 17-18 yo kid on Twitter. I do like to hear about potential commits, hear what might be in store us... but it's not going to dominate my life.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just saw this VERY important tweet....everyone take note!

VTComplianceGuy Bert Locklin
RT @BoilerBylaws Two weeks away from Signing Day, a reminder to not contract recruits on Twitter/Facebook/etc.
4 minutes ago

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw this VERY important tweet....everyone take note!

VTComplianceGuy Bert Locklin
RT @BoilerBylaws Two weeks away from Signing Day, a reminder to not contract recruits on Twitter/Facebook/etc.
4 minutes ago

Please retweet that and then I will retweet you as well...

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
USA TODAY College: Posted January 31st, 2012: Schools look to curtail social media ‘recruiting’

QUOTE:

Because of the Internet, fans now have unprecedented access to players.

“It is fairly commonplace for fans of all fanbases to recruit positively for their school or negatively against opponents on Twitter these days,” said Avinash Kunnath, who serves as an editor for the University of California fan site – California Golden Blogs. “I’m aware that Cal fans try to do the same with recruits, although we try to discourage this behavior. But some recruitniks won’t listen to reason.”

On many occasions, these instances can constitute NCAA secondary violations.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This falls under the heading of "What the Heck are They Thinking"???

Maryland Bill Addresses College Athletes’ Social Media Privacy

QUOTE:

A bill introduced Thursday in the Maryland state legislature would stop colleges and universities from keeping digital tabs on student-athletes.

The bill would prohibit schools from requiring students to provide information like user names and passwords or to install monitoring software on their computers. It would also prevent schools from requiring students to allow, say, compliance officers or administrators to be their Facebook friends or have their protected tweets followed.

Wow.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This falls under the heading of "What the Heck are They Thinking"???

Maryland Bill Addresses College Athletes’ Social Media Privacy

QUOTE:

A bill introduced Thursday in the Maryland state legislature would stop colleges and universities from keeping digital tabs on student-athletes.

The bill would prohibit schools from requiring students to provide information like user names and passwords or to install monitoring software on their computers. It would also prevent schools from requiring students to allow, say, compliance officers or administrators to be their Facebook friends or have their protected tweets followed.

Wow.

I dont agree with this. A lot of agencies and companies do it now. The IT guys are real chill as long as you either remain anonymous online or if you don't, don't give them a bad rep.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
another interesting tidbit that i noticed is that some of these recruits' tweets are just fine .. clean, respectful -- but some of their retweets are just crazy .. nasty .. classless -- they must figure that since the tweet didn't actually originate from them that it's ok to do that

slntkilla

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never talk to a recruit unless you personally know them - it usually never ends up well. The people that contact recruits are usually the less intelligent fanatics that end up making the school look bad.

I'd just steer clear of it in general

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
usually the less intelligent fanatics that end up making the school look bad.

I'd just steer clear of it in general

Kinda like that gay ass Cassell Guard. What a bunch of corny tools. Pretty embarrassing IMO...