• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some will hate the taylor mays pick even more

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Saw that. Brutal. If Trent was so lukewarm on Mays, I'm not sure why he picked him. The GM has to stand up to the coach from time to time.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw that. Brutal. If Trent was so lukewarm on Mays, I'm not sure why he picked him. The GM has to stand up to the coach from time to time.

yea i agree, technically he wasnt the official GM at the time so im not sure what effect that had on anything. I know the GM's will make the final calls, but they also take the coaches input like im sure Baalke did with Harbaugh and as he did with Singletary.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

"time to time"?

then in this case, was it "one of those times"? j/k

this is why people get fired, when they make too many bad decisions. i'm sure Baalke will stick to his guns going forward, and with all that scouting Staff behind him....he should.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baalke should be held accountable for that draft but in typical 49er fashion he was not and was promoted along with personnel guru Marathe.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What a cluster fuck of an organization. I sure hope this is the end of this kind of talk about the 49ers. I hate being a laughing stock.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What a cluster fuck of an organization. I sure hope this is the end of this kind of talk about the 49ers. I hate being a laughing stock.

I am cool with Harbaugh but would like to see Baalke out, Marathe out of personnel decisions and Jed out of football operations.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am cool with Harbaugh but would like to see Baalke out, Marathe out of personnel decisions and Jed out of football operations.

Didn't Bill Parcells give some praise to Baalke or something. I'm seriously asking, not being sarcastic. I thought I heard something about that. Anyway, I am willing to give Baalke a chance. Hopefully he can put together some solid drafts. I am still kinda scratching my head this year. How do we not get 1 starter in the draft?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't Bill Parcells give some praise to Baalke or something. I'm seriously asking, not being sarcastic. I thought I heard something about that. Anyway, I am willing to give Baalke a chance. Hopefully he can put together some solid drafts. I am still kinda scratching my head this year. How do we not get 1 starter in the draft?

I am not sure but the guy has been a part of the 49ers player personnel machine since 1995. He has been a part of a lot of fail.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But wasn't Baalke instrumental in bringing in Harbaugh?

I cannot be sure but assuming he was that doesn't make me feel any better about what he was a part of the previous five years with SF.
I'd like Baalke's boss be someone with some football smarts and complete control over football operations.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot be sure but assuming he was that doesn't make me feel any better about what he was a part of the previous five years with SF.
I'd like Baalke's boss be someone with some football smarts and complete control over football operations.

baalke has been around that long? the drafting has been pretty bad over that stretch

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
baalke has been around that long? the drafting has been pretty bad over that stretch

Here is Baalke's Bio on the 49ers web page.

"...Prior to being named 49ers GM, Baalke served as Vice President of Player Personnel for the team in 2010, as he oversaw all aspects of player personnel, including the team’s draft process. For the first time in his career, he commanded a NFL team’s draft room, and netted eight selections that went on to make the team’s opening-day roster. The class included first rounders T Anthony Davis and G Mike Iupati, who both went on to start every game of their rookie year. That same offseason, Baalke was also instrumental in extending the contracts of All-Pro LB Patrick Willis and Pro Bowl TE Vernon Davis..."

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

"...Prior to being named 49ers GM, Baalke served as Vice President of Player Personnel for the team in 2010, as he oversaw all aspects of player personnel, including the team’s draft process. For the first time in his career, he commanded a NFL team’s draft room, and netted eight selections that went on to make the team’s opening-day roster. The class included first rounders T Anthony Davis and G Mike Iupati, who both went on to start every game of their rookie year. That same offseason, Baalke was also instrumental in extending the contracts of All-Pro LB Patrick Willis and Pro Bowl TE Vernon Davis..."

So, what was Baalke's role the other 5 seasons? Scout?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So, what was Baalke's role the other 5 seasons? Scout?

"...From 2008-09, Baalke served as the 49ers Director of Player Personnel, overseeing both the college and pro personnel departments. He first joined the franchise immediately following the 2005 NFL Draft as the team’s Western Region Scout, a position he held through 2007..."

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

That isn't an answer his question. Baalke has been part of football player personnel and scouting since 2005.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"...From 2008-09, Baalke served as the 49ers Director of Player Personnel, overseeing both the college and pro personnel departments. He first joined the franchise immediately following the 2005 NFL Draft as the team’s Western Region Scout, a position he held through 2007..."

There you go, that is the answer.
Not the most stellar resume IMO but I hope he proves he wasn't part of the problem. There are few bright spots on the personnel side from 2005 to now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baalke should be held accountable for that draft but in typical 49er fashion he was not and was promoted along with personnel guru Marathe.

who said he isn't accountable? as the person named in charge of the draft by Jed, yes Baalke is accountable. we might consider he didn't have control till near draft day? we might consider Singletary has a strong personality and likely gave more input that he should've? but as the person in charge of the 2010 draft, Baalke is accountable.

fans NEED someone to be accountable, else who are we going to point fingers at? :-)

what i don't agree with is...............not surprising, someone is already expanding this blame going back to 2005. similar to blaming Jed for things going all the way back to 2000.