• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some training camp notes

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s what stood out from Day 6 of Dallas Cowboys’ training camp practices Tuesday in Oxnard, Calif.

• Following the team’s first day off of training camp, QB Tony Romo didn’t practice Tuesday afternoon. He watched the first part of the evening practice from the sidelines in shorts and a T-shirt before leaving the field after about 30 minutes. Romo did participate in the Cowboys’ morning walk-through practice. That left all the first-team repetitions to QB Brandon Weeden in the evening workout.
  • The Cowboys worked on their two-minute offense install for the first time in training camp Tuesday.
  • Early in team drills, TE Jason Witten delivered a big block on LB Justin Durant near the line of scrimmage to spring RB DeMarco Murray for a big gain on the left side.
  • QB Brandon Weeden hesitated early in team drills after dropping back to pass, eventually handing the ball off to RB DeMarco Murray late who was surrounded by defensive players. Coach Jason Garrett had the offense repeat the play, and Weeden then completed a short pass to the right side on his second attempt at it.
  • RB DeMarco Murray had a good day. He also had a gain of about 15 yards on a run to the right side in team drills.
  • Rookie DE DeMarcus Lawrence stopped RB Lance Dunbar for no gain on a run to the left side against the second-team offensive line. Later, Lawrence had to be helped off the field after he appeared to injure his right ankle in a 1-on-1 drills against LT Tyron Smith.
  • LB Orie Lemon and NT Ken Bishop combined to stuff RB Lance Dunbar on a run wide. Not long afterward, DT Davon Coleman continued his fast start to camp by stopping RB Joseph Randle for no gain on a run up the middle.
  • LB Joe Windsor was quickly into the backfield to knock down a pass from QB Dustin Vaughan in team drills.
  • QB Brandon Weeden completed a slant pass to the left side to WR Dez Bryant in a hurry-up situation. Bryant ran away from the defensive backs and down the left sideline. A fan yelled at Bryant, “$15 million a year!” referring to his next contract that’s on the horizon.
  • RB Lance Dunbar had a gain of more than 10 yards in a two-minute situation. He continues to be impressive.
  • K Dan Bailey was 6-for-6 on field goal attempts, making two from 50-plus yards.
  • LB DeVonte Holloman had a pass breakup against TE James Hanna in 7-on-7 drills.
  • CB Orlando Scandrick came out early before the evening practice to catch passes from the machine. Scandrick has said he wants to make more impact plays this season and really wanted to work on catching the ball better so he could increase his interceptions.
  • WR Jamar Newsome leaped to catch a deep pass over CB Dashaun Phillips in 1-on-1 drills that had WR Dez Bryant pumped up. On a go route down the right seam, Newsome made a nice catch. Bryant screamed several times, “That’s what I’m talking about” before jumping to bump shoulders with Newsome. Later, Newsome ran a go route down the left side and couldn’t pull in a deep pass from QB Caleb Hanie in 7-on-7 drills. CB Tyler Patmon knocked down the pass.
  • QB Caleb Hanie struggled Tuesday. Several passes were off target. Late in team drills, rookie CB Terrance Mitchell intercepted a pass from Hanie intended for WR Dwayne Harris.
  • DE Martez Wilson would have sacked QB Dustin Vaughan late in team drills.
  • CB Morris Claiborne broke up a pass intended for WR Terrance Williams in 1-on-1 drills. Williams cut inside from the left side of the field, and Claiborne arrived just after the ball did to break up the pass.
  • Several Cowboys defensive backs were called for penalties in 1-on-1 drills with receivers, including rookie CB Terrance Mitchell being flagged for defensive holding against rookie WR Devin Street.
  • Injured LG Ron Leary and DE Anthony Spencer worked on the resistance cords with an athletic trainer.
  • Rookie LB Anthony Hitchens had arguably the biggest hit of the day in a LBs vs. RBs tackling drill, putting a lick on RB Joseph Randle.
  • Coach Jason Garrett circled the team around in the middle of the field as LB Bruce Carter went 1-on-1 with RB DeMarco Murray in a hitting drill. Garrett was probably standing too close. The two nearly knocked him over.
  • Even though they’re not supposed to be tackling, S J.J. Wilcox put a nice hit on RB DeMarco Murray during team drills, knocking the running back to the ground. Afterward, Murray gave Wilcox a fist-bump.
  • LB DeVonte Holloman dropped an interception in 7-on-7 drills. LBs coach Matt Eberflus yelled, “Holloman, make the play now! Come on!”
  • Rookie RB Ben Malena (Texas A&M/Cedar Hill) fumbled during team drills.
  • QB Brandon Weeden was 6-of-8 during two-minute team drills. WR Dez Bryant couldn’t pull down a possible touchdown in the end zone. Bryant wasn’t pleased as the first-team was forced to settle for a field goal. Bryant: “I know I should’ve made that one-handed catch. I was close to being out of bounds. If I tried to get it with two [hands], I would’ve been out.”
  • Dallas-based agent Jordan Woy was at Cowboys practice. He visited with his clients after the afternoon practice, including DT Henry Melton and K Dan Bailey.
  • The Cowboys practiced in front of 1,794 fans Tuesday, bringing the five-day total attendance to 12,796.
  • Former Cowboys Vice President of Player Personnel Gil Brandt was at practice. Former NFL and Texas QB Chris Simms and Chris Harrison from ABC’s The Bachelor were also in attendance.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to wonder about Romo. Can't imagine the team would have made it so easy for Orton to leave with his bonus if they felt Romo may not be ready for the season, but it's obvious he isn't ready YET.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today from what I saw on twitter, Romo had a so so day. Mo had a great day until he injured his knee. He thinks its tendinitis. Dunbar and Murray continued to shine. Dez was Dez. TWill had a few drops today, including a TD in the red zone at the end. He also didnt fight for a ball thrown deep that ended in a pick. Beasley had a drop. Of the guys trying to make the team- Byrd was the standout today.

Defensively- Mo was having a great day. McClains name showed up a bunch as well. Patmon and Mitchell are making some noise at CB. The starting OLINE dominates the Dline. Selvie and Crawford had good days. Wilber did beat the T. Smith once. The guys Im not seeing show up are the safeties. I follow 20 different people watching and the only safety mentioned is Wilcox and that was because of a PI.

If I knew nothing about this team except from the tweets during TC. I would think our best players besides QBs were 1. Dez 2. Murray 3. Smith 4. Dunbar 5. Fredrick 6. Scandrick 7. Martin 8. Beasley 9. Mo

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope Mo 's injury isn't serious what is it with this team and injuries. Mo needs to play big this season or he will have been a colossal bust. Off the top of my head for what we gave up for him and his pedigree coming out of LSU he might be if not the biggest Cowboys bust, he's on the short list.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to wonder about Romo. Can't imagine the team would have made it so easy for Orton to leave with his bonus if they felt Romo may not be ready for the season, but it's obvious he isn't ready YET.

Well I asked all 20 media guys yesterday= Broaddus said no concern at all. Laufenberg says major red flags. When I told Broaddus what Babe said- he replied good for him lol. JG mentions feedback in his press conferences. Im thinking Romo is saying he is sore. Wade Wilson mentioned it last week that Romo was feeling a little sore, but said he was way ahead of where he was last year at this time. The problem is you cant believe a damn thing these guys say. He was off today according to Archer until the last couple of sessions when he really dialed it in.

I expect Kitna to be here by Friday lol

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope Mo 's injury isn't serious what is it with this team and injuries. Mo needs to play big this season or he will have been a colossal bust. Off the top of my head for what we gave up for him and his pedigree coming out of LSU he might be if not the biggest Cowboys bust, he's on the short list.

Him and Williams have been going at it every practice. Williams actually left the field once today as well. Mo had a nice pick today and a pass break up. I say both on replay. The break up was a complete mug job and should have been a PI. Of course when he is covering Dez, Dez beats him 90 percent of the time

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well I heard before camp started they weren't planning on overworking Romo during camp.
I looked at it as being good for Weeden to get some time with the 1st string.
I think Romo will be just fine when the season starts.

Now if we can just stop Smith from eating all our D-lineman :heh:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Brent to be here soon as well

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today from what I saw on twitter, Romo had a so so day. Mo had a great day until he injured his knee. He thinks its tendinitis. Dunbar and Murray continued to shine. Dez was Dez. TWill had a few drops today, including a TD in the red zone at the end. He also didnt fight for a ball thrown deep that ended in a pick. Beasley had a drop. Of the guys trying to make the team- Byrd was the standout today.

Defensively- Mo was having a great day. McClains name showed up a bunch as well. Patmon and Mitchell are making some noise at CB. The starting OLINE dominates the Dline. Selvie and Crawford had good days. Wilber did beat the T. Smith once. The guys Im not seeing show up are the safeties. I follow 20 different people watching and the only safety mentioned is Wilcox and that was because of a PI.

If I knew nothing about this team except from the tweets during TC. I would think our best players besides QBs were 1. Dez 2. Murray 3. Smith 4. Dunbar 5. Fredrick 6. Scandrick 7. Martin 8. Beasley 9. Mo

well in this article Wilcox name was mentioned but because he put a big hit on Murray (even though they weren't suppose to be tackling)
Murray fist bumped him for the effort.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I heard before camp started they weren't planning on overworking Romo during camp.

With Monday being a day off and him not practicing yesterday, it definitely had me concerned. I think they made a mistake and said they expected him to practice both Wednesday and Thursday. I think if he sits out tomorrow and JG tries to spin it that he got plenty of work today then I will start looking for the bridge.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's kind of crazy to make a statement like that at this point. We had first rounders that never contributed.

I've pretty much said since the beginning that I think once Claiborne has some time to learn a defense and is healthy he will be fine. He was injured both off seasons and has been in two different defenses in his two seasons. Also, he played hurt most of the year. I'll stay with my thoughts that he has a much better season this year if health is on his side and that most people throwing the bust word around are eating a little crow on him after the season. I'm not saying he'll be an elite corner, but I do think he will be pretty good this year and going forward.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well in this article Wilcox name was mentioned but because he put a big hit on Murray (even though they weren't suppose to be tackling)
Murray fist bumped him for the effort.

Yes, he did do that yesterday. I havent heard a thing out of Church, Hamilton, Heath, Dixon

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with that strategy, but working him A LITTLE would be good.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he did do that yesterday. I havent heard a thing out of Church, Hamilton, Heath, Dixon
not hearing about heath is a plus for Heath (if your looking for a bright side)

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did see him - Heath - on a play where Harris caught a pass wide open - Heath was about 10 yards away from him.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's kind of crazy to make a statement like that at this point. We had first rounders that never contributed.

I've pretty much said since the beginning that I think once Claiborne has some time to learn a defense and is healthy he will be fine. He was injured both off seasons and has been in two different defenses in his two seasons. Also, he played hurt most of the year. I'll stay with my thoughts that he has a much better season this year if health is on his side and that most people throwing the bust word around are eating a little crow on him after the season. I'm not saying he'll be an elite corner, but I do think he will be pretty good this year and going forward.

That remains to be seen if he's good or not. I'm hoping he has a break out year though. How is this a crazy statement we payed a stiff price for this kid? That may have set us back like many of the other bone headed trades we've made. To disagree is one thing, but crazy come on.

Explain whats so crazy about this one. It's not is fault with the injuries but it definitely matters. I attribute much of Smiths greatness due to his ability to answer the bell; conversely some guys with great talent become JAG'S cause they can't stay healthy. JMO :suds:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Following the team’s first day off of training camp, QB Tony Romo didn’t practice Tuesday afternoon. He watched the first part of the evening practice from the sidelines in shorts and a T-shirt before leaving the field after about 30 minutes. Romo did participate in the Cowboys’ morning walk-through practice.

This bothered me - he left the field- Im assuming he needed treatment of some sort. I asked Charean Williams about his facial expression when leaving. She didnt respond

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys have been splitting second-year TE Gavin Escobar out wide in training camp practices.

It's part of the Cowboys' ongoing efforts to get Escobar more involved after he played just 207 snaps as a rookie. The 6-foot-6 Escobar has also added five pounds, bulking up from to 249 to 254.

for those curious about Escobar.