• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

so who's 'starting' week 1?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Crabtree starts opposite Jenkins. I admit my view is based on clips, but this kid Jenkins catches with his hands everytime. I haven't seen one highlight with him "bodying" the ball. His quicks and route running seem to be the focus, I highlight his hands. The way the staff spoke about Morgan makes me think that they are really high on Jenkins.

I think Moss will be more of a redzone target at this point in his career, I think Manningham will play the outside, with Jenkins slliding to the slot on select plays.I think Ginn gets in on 4 wr sets to keep the reverse in play.

We're pretty dangerous now on offense. I really like the fact that we have a real third down back now in James. One that can catch out of the backfield, as well as hit the homerun on screens.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Crabtree starts opposite Jenkins. I admit my view is based on clips, but this kid Jenkins catches with his hands everytime. I haven't seen one highlight with him "bodying" the ball. His quicks and route running seem to be the focus, I highlight his hands. The way the staff spoke about Morgan makes me think that they are really high on Jenkins.

I think Moss will be more of a redzone target at this point in his career, I think Manningham will play the outside, with Jenkins slliding to the slot on select plays.I think Ginn gets in on 4 wr sets to keep the reverse in play.

We're pretty dangerous now on offense. I really like the fact that we have a real third down back now in James. One that can catch out of the backfield, as well as hit the homerun on screens.

we certainly upgraded the WR spot, have no doubt Jenkins has the physical tools, so its a matter of intangibles. intangibles is the difference between good and great.

oh yeah, Moss would also be a good red zone target too. to now been thinking of him as the 'situational' long ball receiver, ie obvious passing downs.

but all this offense comes down to the operator, the driver, the facilitator.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and thats fine, agree we'll mix it up on offense despite who starts. we'll mix it up more and more as the season progresses.

just IMO, Moss doesn't 'start' because of who he is, cause i sort see it as who he WAS? anyways, no big deal if its him or Crabtree, they'll use the strengths of each.

also, after now adding a 1st round WR as opposed to 4th or 5th rounder, not so sure Moss even stays? if AJ shows he can handle the 'underneath' and medium routes (this season to start), Manningham can do more deep routes.

What makes our WR situation interesting this year was our WR strategy last year. In 2011 we carried only 5 WR's on the 53 and activated only 4 on game day.

Currently we have 9 or 10 WR's* on the roster of which the top 6 are: Crabtree, Ginn, Jenkins, Manningham, Moss & Williams. Of those 6, Jenkins & Manningham have secure roster spots. That leaves Crabtree, Ginn, Moss & Williams competing with the other 3 or 4 WR's for 3 roster spots?

If I were to bet on a guess I would bet we are going to keep 6 WR's on the 53 this year. If we keep our top 6 then our deep threats would be Ginn, Jenkins & Moss, with Crabtree, Manningham, Williams and even Jenkins filling in the medium range, move-the-chains, possession type role.

Thus if I were to post a beginning of TC depth chart for our WR's it would look like this:

WR: Moss, Ginn, Jenkins, Others
WR: Manningham, Crabtree, Williams, Others

* Kyle Nelson is listed on our site at a WR while on others he is listed as a TE/LS

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com news: Randy Moss shows up to 49ers with roster spot in doubt

This story doesn't directly apply, because it is just another clueless idiot trying to make a big deal out of Randy Moss showing up exactly when he and the coaching staff agreed on him showing up.

The one thing that caught my curiosity was this guy saying that Crabtree had a starting position locked up. When did this happen?? I haven't seen anything from Crabtree over the years that locks up a starting spot...

Could the NFL at least get people that pay attention to the 49ers to write stories about them please?? And for the love of all that is holy, stop asking JLC what he thinks... we already know he trolls like TobyTyler... imagining that a perfect storm happened to allow a team that really should have been 4-12 in their opinions stumble and catch every break to reach 13-3 and a few mistakes away from a Super Bowl...

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes our WR situation interesting this year was our WR strategy last year. In 2011 we carried only 5 WR's on the 53 and activated only 4 on game day.

Currently we have 9 or 10 WR's* on the roster of which the top 6 are: Crabtree, Ginn, Jenkins, Manningham, Moss & Williams. Of those 6, Jenkins & Manningham have secure roster spots. That leaves Crabtree, Ginn, Moss & Williams competing with the other 3 or 4 WR's for 3 roster spots?

If I were to bet on a guess I would bet we are going to keep 6 WR's on the 53 this year. If we keep our top 6 then our deep threats would be Ginn, Jenkins & Moss, with Crabtree, Manningham, Williams and even Jenkins filling in the medium range, move-the-chains, possession type role.

Thus if I were to post a beginning of TC depth chart for our WR's it would look like this:

WR: Moss, Ginn, Jenkins, Others
WR: Manningham, Crabtree, Williams, Others

* Kyle Nelson is listed on our site at a WR while on others he is listed as a TE/LS

You are quite mistaken if you don't think Crabtree has a roster spot secured with this team.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are quite mistaken if you don't think Crabtree has a roster spot secured with this team.

What part of my post led to this response?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com news: Randy Moss shows up to 49ers with roster spot in doubt

This story doesn't directly apply, because it is just another clueless idiot trying to make a big deal out of Randy Moss showing up exactly when he and the coaching staff agreed on him showing up.

The one thing that caught my curiosity was this guy saying that Crabtree had a starting position locked up. When did this happen?? I haven't seen anything from Crabtree over the years that locks up a starting spot...

Could the NFL at least get people that pay attention to the 49ers to write stories about them please?? And for the love of all that is holy, stop asking JLC what he thinks... we already know he trolls like TobyTyler... imagining that a perfect storm happened to allow a team that really should have been 4-12 in their opinions stumble and catch every break to reach 13-3 and a few mistakes away from a Super Bowl...
I'm sure Crabtree does have a starting spot locked up, and I've been a Niners fan my whole life.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bemular- you clearly state Crabtree is fighting for a roster spot with Ginn, Moss, etc.
All mem was saying is Crabs got a roster spot locked down, as for a starting role that's up for debate/competition.

Its way too early, but I'd like to see Moss and Crabtree, if Moss commands double coverage. That way we can see what Crabs is made of, and decide if MM has a better future with us...

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bemular- you clearly state Crabtree is fighting for a roster spot with Ginn, Moss, etc.
All mem was saying is Crabs got a roster spot locked down, as for a starting role that's up for debate/competition.

Its way too early, but I'd like to see Moss and Crabtree, if Moss commands double coverage. That way we can see what Crabs is made of, and decide if MM has a better future with us...

Yeah, there is some confusing language so I'll try and clear up any confusion here.

There are 4 levels of "roster spots" on an NFL team: the 61, the 53, the 46 and the 11. I expect (hope) we keep 6 WR's on the 53 and I project those 6 to be: Crabtree, Ginn, Jenkins, Manningham, Moss & Williams.

Of those six obviously Jenkins is a lock and I cannot think of any team presenting an opportunity for us to even consider trading Manningham. As for the rest - nothing is guaranteed.

That said, I expect Crabtree will make the 46 but he will be competing to make the 11. I hope that clears up any confusion.