• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

so who's 'starting' week 1?

vvoland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
out of 6 receivers, who are the starting two, moss and manningham? is kendall hunter still our backup RB? is flemming/cam johnson our primary backups to brooks/aldon/justin smith? trent robinson our 2nd string SS? is slowey the backup RT?

oh yea, i almost forgot, who's starting at rg?

we were incredibly fortuitous that injuries were kind to us last year. in 2012, any of these guys may start 14 games. all of them might.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
out of 6 receivers, who are the starting two, moss and manningham? is kendall hunter still our backup RB? is flemming/cam johnson our primary backups to brooks/aldon/justin smith? trent robinson our 2nd string SS? is slowey the backup RT?

oh yea, i almost forgot, who's starting at rg?

we were incredibly fortuitous that injuries were kind to us last year. in 2012, any of these guys may start 14 games. all of them might.

no harm in guessing right?

WR: Manningham and Crabtree start, but Moss gets his fair share of plays. i see us almost rotating these three guys? when we go to "obvious passing downs", Crabtree comes out more than the other two.

RB: Gore starts and Hunter is the primary back-up. i see it similar to last season for number of carries. recall Gore was injured and didn't get as much as he'd normally get. he'll still get about the same carries as last year even if healthy. James will be used but that much unless Gore is injured again?

OLB: Fleming makes it as the last back-up for BOTH inside and outside, Johnson goes to the P.S. at best case, he has an equal chance of being cut.

S: Robinson goes to the P.S.

C: Slowey likely gets cut, has a less than 50% chance to make the P.S.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DEEP I THINK ALL THE DRAFT PICK MAKE THE TEAM REMEMBER LAST YEAR M.WILLIAMS AND SMITH MADE HE ROSTER ..so robinson should make it
wr 1.Crabby 2.Manningham 3.Moss 4.aj 5.Ginn
G will be interesting because boone wants that spot BAD!!! i read a article where he is working to solidify that spot so him Kilgore Looney will dual for it if boone looses back up OT it is.
RB Hunter is the truth hands down he is the backup to gore jacobs goal line and james trick plays some 3rd downs/redzone remember we had morran Norris on the team all year last year so we had 5 backs on the roster

i think josh Johnson beats out kap for the backup qb job

DB 1.rodgers 2.Brown "for now " 3.Cully 4. Parrish cox 5 Brock
S 1.whitner 2.The Hawk 3. spillmen 4 jones 5. Robinson
LB Willis bowman Brooks Smith PH gooden Grant and imma go with Johnson but it will be one of the rookies may the best man win

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
DEEP I THINK ALL THE DRAFT PICK MAKE THE TEAM REMEMBER LAST YEAR M.WILLIAMS AND SMITH MADE HE ROSTER ..so robinson should make it
wr 1.Crabby 2.Manningham 3.Moss 4.aj 5.Ginn
G will be interesting because boone wants that spot BAD!!! i read a article where he is working to solidify that spot so him Kilgore Looney will dual for it if boone looses back up OT it is.
RB Hunter is the truth hands down he is the backup to gore jacobs goal line and james trick plays some 3rd downs/redzone remember we had morran Norris on the team all year last year so we had 5 backs on the roster

i think josh Johnson beats out kap for the backup qb job

DB 1.rodgers 2.Brown "for now " 3.Cully 4. Parrish cox 5 Brock
S 1.whitner 2.The Hawk 3. spillmen 4 jones 5. Robinson
LB Willis bowman Brooks Smith PH gooden Grant and imma go with Johnson but it will be one of the rookies may the best man win

last year to this year is a BIG difference, not only in the quality of this roster, but the draft slot we're in. we're not bringing in #7 of each round, but #30 type prospects.

really think Boone benefits us (not him) more by being the swing OT. who knows, he may not sit all season as Staley showed last year? let Kilgore and Looney battle for RG.

agree with Hunter and is why i'm not expecting James to get too much reps. not much this season that is. we'll use Gore enough to keep him strong, then use Hunter next.

if Josh Johnson wins out fine, it doesn't have to be Kap. as long both get much better this year. there's no guarantee Alex plays all snaps, so somebody needs to be capable.

lastly, read some more on Trenton Robinson and like his resume. now think he'll make the team, not P.S.. i'm guessing he has a lot of intangibles to go along with his abilities. he was also a CB at first so is likely a good cover guy too......for a safety that is.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess for our starting 11 on 9/9/2012, which is meaningful for all of exactly one play, will be:

WR - Moss/Manningham
TE - Davis
FB/HB - Jacobs/Gore
RT/LT - Davis/Staley
C - Goodwin
RG/LG - Kilgore/Iupati
QB - Smith

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess for our starting 11 on 9/9/2012, which is meaningful for all of exactly one play, will be:

WR - Moss/Manningham
TE - Davis
FB/HB - Jacobs/Gore
RT/LT - Davis/Staley
C - Goodwin
RG/LG - Kilgore/Iupati
QB - Smith

I have a hard time seeing Jacobs get the nod over Bruce Miller. He's done far too well for him to lose his starting spot.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Numone9er & JMedlock5186

My new guesses for our starting 11 on 9/9/2012, which is meaningful for all of exactly one play, will be:

WR - Moss/Jenkins
TE - Davis
FB/HB - Miller/Gore
RT/LT - Davis/Staley
C - Goodwin
RG/LG - Kilgore/Iupati
QB - Smith

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

My new guesses for our starting 11 on 9/9/2012, which is meaningful for all of exactly one play, will be:

WR - Moss/Jenkins
TE - Davis
FB/HB - Miller/Gore
RT/LT - Davis/Staley
C - Goodwin
RG/LG - Kilgore/Iupati
QB - Smith

for one play on 9/9/2012.........i'll say Jenkins doesn't "start", will go with Crabtree for "one play".

also, no guarantee Moss makes the team or wants to remain in football? if he does make it, think they'll they'll keep him fresh by not playing him every down.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't see jenkins beating out manningham.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for one play on 9/9/2012.........i'll say Jenkins doesn't "start", will go with Crabtree for "one play".

also, no guarantee Moss makes the team or wants to remain in football? if he does make it, think they'll they'll keep him fresh by not playing him every down.

None of our 5 (offensive) rotational players will play every down and that was kind of my over-arching point. Which of our 5 rotational players actually start the opening game (or any game for that matter) may or may not be relevant to either the other players on the team or the game plan itself.

As a couple of examples, I think if Moss makes the team, he starts simply because of who he is. Then you have starters determined by both match-up and formation. Last year vs. Washington with both Edwards & Crabtree healthy we started Gore, Crabtree & 3 TE's (Davis, Walker & Peelle).

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

WR - Moss/Jenkins
TE - Davis
FB/HB - Miller/Gore
RT/LT - Davis/Staley
C - Goodwin
RG/LG - Kilgore/Iupati
QB - Smith

If we're looking strictly at the first offensive snap of the season, I would project

WR - Moss/Crabtree
TE - Davis/Walker
RB - Gore
QB - Smith
LT - Staley
RT - Davis
LG - Iupati
RG - Kilgore
C - Goodwin

I think we open with a 2 TE, 1 RB set. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Moss/Davis/Walker/Miller/Gore though.

There's a chance that could open things up down field for Moss with 2 TE and 2 RB on the field.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
None of our 5 (offensive) rotational players will play every down and that was kind of my over-arching point. Which of our 5 rotational players actually start the opening game (or any game for that matter) may or may not be relevant to either the other players on the team or the game plan itself.

As a couple of examples, I think if Moss makes the team, he starts simply because of who he is. Then you have starters determined by both match-up and formation. Last year vs. Washington with both Edwards & Crabtree healthy we started Gore, Crabtree & 3 TE's (Davis, Walker & Peelle).

and thats fine, agree we'll mix it up on offense despite who starts. we'll mix it up more and more as the season progresses.

just IMO, Moss doesn't 'start' because of who he is, cause i sort see it as who he WAS? anyways, no big deal if its him or Crabtree, they'll use the strengths of each.

also, after now adding a 1st round WR as opposed to 4th or 5th rounder, not so sure Moss even stays? if AJ shows he can handle the 'underneath' and medium routes (this season to start), Manningham can do more deep routes.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're looking strictly at the first offensive snap of the season, I would project

WR - Moss/Crabtree
TE - Davis/Walker
RB - Gore
QB - Smith
LT - Staley
RT - Davis
LG - Iupati
RG - Kilgore
C - Goodwin

I think we open with a 2 TE, 1 RB set. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Moss/Davis/Walker/Miller/Gore though.

There's a chance that could open things up down field for Moss with 2 TE and 2 RB on the field.

The line-up you outlined at top is what I would call the "even-money" line-up; but, to your point, starting in a 12 formation or even an 11 is well within the realm of possibility - even probability.

I will say this, if we open the 2012 campaign with a 60+ yard sideline strike to Moss for 6, I'll lose my freaking mind. (Just the thought of that is making me depressed it's still only April!)

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think boone is gonna be the starter at RG. looking at baalke's draft strategy, there's a huge hole at RG and he seems to really draft need. if he didn't believe in boone (kilgore is said to be groomed for c) we would have taken glenn who should be able to start from day 1. or possibly trade up for decastro instead of taking the 'luxery' pick in jenkins.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and thats fine, agree we'll mix it up on offense despite who starts. we'll mix it up more and more as the season progresses.

just IMO, Moss doesn't 'start' because of who he is, cause i sort see it as who he WAS? anyways, no big deal if its him or Crabtree, they'll use the strengths of each.

also, after now adding a 1st round WR as opposed to 4th or 5th rounder, not so sure Moss even stays? if AJ shows he can handle the 'underneath' and medium routes (this season to start), Manningham can do more deep routes.

Interesting points. With regard to Moss, I'm projecting that he makes the team and in that scenario I believe he would start for the aforementioned reasons - but you do raise a valid point about the "was" vs. "is" comparison.

With that said, are you thinking that Moss comes into TC already on the bubble?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Crabtree is beat out for a starting WR job, any chance he'll get cut?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think boone is gonna be the starter at RG. looking at baalke's draft strategy, there's a huge hole at RG and he seems to really draft need. if he didn't believe in boone (kilgore is said to be groomed for c) we would have taken glenn who should be able to start from day 1. or possibly trade up for decastro instead of taking the 'luxery' pick in jenkins.

seems like Baalke's thinking is BPA? if so, i totally agree.

granted, you can't do this every round, so you sway towards need the further in you draft.

btw - it was well reported we had the luxury of taking any position we wanted. so you could call anyone we took round 1 as a luxury pick. in our ideal world, a RG would also be the BPA, but WR wasn't far behind.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Interesting points. With regard to Moss, I'm projecting that he makes the team and in that scenario I believe he would start for the aforementioned reasons - but you do raise a valid point about the "was" vs. "is" comparison.

With that said, are you thinking that Moss comes into TC already on the bubble?

nope, they'll start off 'equal' in TC. to start i'm sure Moss is all fired up again, but at 35 years old he isn't likely to play up to his standards? he might lose a little feeling again as the off season wears on. if he can't beat out these other guys....

anyways, if he makes the team great, cause obviously he can be dangerous on certain routes.