• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So...Who are the real 'Blue Blood' College Football Programs?

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had a discussion on this very topic with some guys. Here is who I came up with (in no order)

Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas, and USC.

We discussed Nebraska, LSU, and the Florida schools, however I didn't agree with Nebraska as they have been mostly irrelevant for 20+ years, and no to LSU because they have only won 3 Nattys.

I think the Florida schools are interesting since they weren't really relevant 40 years ago, but each have had numerous periods where they dominated the game for multiple years.

So I'm curious, what do you think are the true 'Blue Bloods' of CFB?

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had a discussion on this very topic with some guys. Here is who I came up with (in no order)

We discussed Nebraska, LSU, and the Florida schools, however I didn't agree with Nebraska as they have been mostly irrelevant for 20+ years, and no to LSU because they have only won 3 Nattys.

I think the Florida schools are interesting since they weren't really relevant 40 years ago, but each have had numerous periods where they dominated the game for multiple years.

I guess it all depends on your parameters. How long a period? What criteria?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama
Ohio State
Michigan
Notre Dame
USC
Nebraska
Oklahoma

Those are the preeminent Blue Bloods of the nation, in my opinion.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama
Ohio State
Michigan
Notre Dame
USC
Nebraska
Oklahoma

Those are the preeminent Blue Bloods of the nation, in my opinion.

Texas fans gonna be pissed. :thumb:

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it all depends on your parameters. How long a period? What criteria?

Whatever you think the parameters should be.

Just curious as this answers varies person-to-person outside of 4 or so teams which seem consistent across all parameters.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Notre Dame and Michigan have been relevant for the last 20 years?

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ND was in the national championship 5 years ago, and are tied with the highest winning percentage with...Michigan.

While Michigan hasn't won a NC since 1997, they have still been relevant despite their lull they have suffered through since Carr's departure.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Personally, I just don't think Nebraska has the appeal like they did when I was growing up. I don't think it's just a lull, but just an overall lower expectation.

Watching Michigan go through Rich Rod & Hoke, I felt like they were livid because they still (rightfully) carried expectations. I don't personally know the Nebraska fan base well, but I just don't see that same fire.

Plus, Michigan is certainly a Blue Blood program, as they have the most wins in the sport, and are still very relevant.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND was in the national championship 5 years ago, and are tied with the highest winning percentage with...Michigan.

While Michigan hasn't won a NC since 1997, they have still been relevant despite their lull they have suffered through since Carr's departure.

And got their shit pushed in.

I think Nebraska is competitive in the W/L category with both Michigan and ND over the last 20 years if not leading both.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nebraska has won a title and played for another in the last 20 years. That's the exact same as Texas and better than Michigan

Last edited:

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Nebraska is competitive in the W/L category with both Michigan and ND over the last 20 years if not leading both.

Maybe, but ND is right back up there, whereas Michigan was last year until their close loss to OSU.

But since 2000, The AP has ranked Nebraska:
#1 - Once (2000)
#2 - Once (2001)
and then just in the top 10 4 times (2002, 2010, 2011, 2016)

Michigan - Same Time period has going gone unranked twice throughout the whole season, and have reached the top ten 11 different times.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nebraska hasn't competed on a national level since Osborne left though. Both ND and michigan have been close to competing for a NC spot multiple times in that time frame.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I just don't think Nebraska has the appeal like they did when I was growing up. I don't think it's just a lull, but just an overall lower expectation.

Watching Michigan go through Rich Rod & Hoke, I felt like they were livid because they still (rightfully) carried expectations. I don't personally know the Nebraska fan base well, but I just don't see that same fire.

Plus, Michigan is certainly a Blue Blood program, as they have the most wins in the sport, and are still very relevant.

LOL @ the bolded. Pelini won at least 9 games a year for 7 years and even 10 games a few years, yet was fired.

You want to go back 117+ years and use 'all time wins' for Michigan, but not use the same barometer for Nebraska?

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska has won a tip and played for another in the last 20 years. That's the exact same as Texas and better than Michigan

What's a tip?

If you mean National Championship, no, they haven't won one since 1997.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ the bolded. Pelini won at least 9 games a year for 7 years and even 10 games a few years, yet was fired.

You want to go back 117+ years and use 'all time wins' for Michigan, but not use the same barometer for Nebraska?

I'm not against doing anything. I just wonder if/when you take a team off the Blue Blood list?

Nebraska is #5 in most wins, I only mentioned Michigan because the are 1st.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's a tip?

If you mean National Championship, no, they haven't won one since 1997.

He said "played for another"

Pay attention.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio St
Bama
USC
Oklahoma