• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So when is Kopitar going to be signed?

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem is the salary cap rose like crazy for a couple of years. everyone thought it would continue. Crazy contracts were given out and that became the new normal. Now that the tide has stopped rising it is impossible to meet the new levels.
I think soon after the All Star Break a deal will done.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, you didn't make the all-star game, your offer will be lower

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If Kopi does get $10M a year, Brown for sure has to be gone and some other players will have to be moved to resign Lucic.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...$10 million is a ton of money. My initial thoughts were always in the $9 million range, around $9.5 - 9.75 or so but a double digit million annual salary is insane. Not a fan although I love the guy, not a fan of where this is headed. As we know comps are used to get your new contract and each new player essentially uses a similar player as a stepping stone to get increased bucks. End result over the span of a decade (or even less as we saw) - lock out.

I think with all the long term, big dollar deals the Kings have in Quick, Doughty, Carter, etc. they are going all in the next few years. I think Dumbo will bail out within the next 5 years if he wins another Cup and let another GM deal with the mess.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge If True: Evolution of the Anze Kopitar contract

At this point basically everyone knows that Anze Kopitar is probably going to re-sign with the Kings for eight years and $80 million.

This may sound like a lot of money, but please keep in mind Kopitar is Jonathan Toews with a better scoring record, or Patrice Bergeron with a much better scoring record. If you can play the kind of two-way, Selke-worthy hockey at the center position he does year in and year out, and also put up 70 points with regularity — if he keeps his current pace, this will be the seventh season out of 10 that he's scored at that pace — you are basically the Platonic ideal of a hockey player.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with all the long term, big dollar deals the Kings have in Quick, Doughty, Carter, etc. they are going all in the next few years. I think Dumbo will bail out within the next 5 years if he wins another Cup and let another GM deal with the mess.

I think this is probably going to happen. We all like having our players long term but eventually these contracts kill a team. At this point I do not mind, they found lightning in a bottle and I like going into each year knowing we have a chance. when they all end up on the downward slide it will be business as usual for us King fans.....but what a run

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kopi does get $10M a year, Brown for sure has to be gone and some other players will have to be moved to resign Lucic.

No question but I think Lucic is in the plans for 2016. Read an article last week, may have been the LAT, where Sutter states that Lucic adds an element the Kings have not had for a long time - the power forward who keeps the opposition honest knowing that any liberties taken with the Kopitars, Carters and Toffollis will be dealt with immediately.

Brown is too much of a pansy to do that job, although wearing the C he should be the first one in defending one of his guys. More reason (for me) to move the guy; someone is always coming to his rescue but I don't see it reciprocated. It's not his style, and I know that, but he should get in there when something happens like they do for him.

Just remembered too that seeing these $10+ million deals, we actually saw the biggest one (for the time) back in 2001 when Leonsis signed Jagr to his 8 year/$88 million deal (7 years/$77 million guaranteed, last year was an option year under the 1995-2005 CBA) and Jagr made $11 million per season, while still being under contract for 2 more years after coming over from the Penguins.

Eventually under the 2005 CBA the Capitals and the NY Rangers shared the cap hit. Just not smart giving out these types of dollar deals, and it will come back to bite LA at some point, but like I said, I think Dumbo will be gone and it'll be another man's problems.