• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SO wentz

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be extremely stupid to rush back the guy you view as the future of your franchise for meaningless preseason action after he had a serious knee injury that could threaten to effect his entire career if it doesn't heal properly. Pretty simple decision if you ask me. The preseason is primarily just to get players in the swing of things and sorting out your bench/final cuts before the regular season begins.

I think every Eagle fan agree with your post. Especially since we have a pretty good backup who should be able to hold down the fort until Wentz is ready. Kind of wish we had an early by-week like week 4 so he could get 5 more weeks of rehab while only missing 3 games. Oh well... but they do need to be very cautious.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think every Eagle fan agree with your post. Especially since we have a pretty good backup who should be able to hold down the fort until Wentz is ready. Kind of wish we had an early by-week like week 4 so he could get 5 more weeks of rehab while only missing 3 games. Oh well... but they do need to be very cautious.

Foles being a great backup prior to the return of Wentz is really just a fortunate bit of luck and ultimately besides the point, IMO. I were an Eagles fan, I'd want them to be conservative with Wentz's return whether or not they had Foles. Especially since they just got a Superbowl win, you simply can't risk a young franchise caliber QB's whole career for the sake of rushing him back from a serious knee injury. Being a Vikings fan and knowing all too well what it's like to be deprived of a franchise QB for long periods of time, I'd be irate if they had a guy like Wentz in that situation and threw him back in with even a shadow of a doubt that he was 100% ready. I'd gladly trade what could result in one bad season for the health of the face of my franchise for the next 10-15+ years.

Furthermore, as you mentioned, Foles isn't a bad option either, so they're still able to contend regardless. They might as well role with Foles until they are certain Wentz is ready. For all we know, rushing Wentz back could result in him playing worse than a healthy Foles, nevermind the risk of worsening Wentz's injury. It's not like they have some bum in there who is going to stink it up for the entire team before their starter returns. Philly is in a damn good situation. I'm glad that the Vikings are at least sort of attempting to follow that formula of having a decent backup in place for Kirk Cousins (Trevor Siemian) so the whole season isn't necessarily shot if one guy gets hurt.