• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

so preseason is over

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
wish i could say i like what i've seen but i can't since i think only the 1st preseason game was shown.

anyway i haven't heard ryders name mentioned AT ALL what gives?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess, the coaching staff pretty much knows what to expect from Ryder and he probably wasn't used a ton. The names I've heard the most are the guys battling for roster spots and that was probably intentional.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling Ryder is a player you dont even know is in the lineup until he scores a goal.

One of those guys that you look at his stats at the end of the year and think "how the hell did he get 30 goals and 25 assists?"

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a lot more preseason this year then in years past and Ive been pretty impressed. Larsson looks like he's ready to emerge. The game in Philly seemed like a regular season game. Guys blocking shots and getting scrappy. Salvador and A-train have looked fast and ready for bounce back seasons.

I wish I would've noticed Clowe more but his ice time has been limited. Fingers crossed that Jagr is ready for opening night. Brunner looks solid. Expecting big things from him.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How will NJ replace the Kovalchuk hole?

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well Ryder scored that huge empty net goal last night.

I watched a few games. Saw last nights game on the feed from their site, plus the game that was televised in Philly.

I like the team but its only preseason.

Besides Schneider, think Brunner will end up being the biggest key offseason pickup.
The guy sees the ice well. He can setup and knows where to go.

Defensively we have a log jam, but offensively, there is good depth too.
I like what I saw in the younger defensive guys, especially Gelinas. I think we will see Gelinas back in the line up very soon.

As for Schneider, he almost looks too good. The puck just hits him and absorbs into him.

Clowe should make up for Clarkson. He is a better passer than Clarkson ever will be.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How will NJ replace the Kovalchuk hole?

Yea, you don't replace that kind of talent with one guy. He played over half the game, was the go to guy in key situations and was awesome in shootout.

But if anything, team is deeper now on offense I hope.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, obviously it's only preaseason, but I'm coming away from training camp and preseason feeling pretty good about the team. A lot of positives not a ton of negatives. I think we're in pretty good shape and have plenty to work with. We have depth, tradeable pieces, our prospects for the most part seem to be the real deal, giving up the first rounder for Schneider seems to be a solid move. This is top to bottom a very competitive team and the fact everyone is writing us off as bottom feeders is just fine in my book.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, you don't replace that kind of talent with one guy. He played over half the game, was the go to guy in key situations and was awesome in shootout.

But if anything, team is deeper now on offense I hope.

Kovalchuk has great talent, no doubt about it. But to be honest, Devils may be better without him. He had a tendency to be lazy.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, obviously it's only preaseason, but I'm coming away from training camp and preseason feeling pretty good about the team. A lot of positives not a ton of negatives. I think we're in pretty good shape and have plenty to work with. We have depth, tradeable pieces, our prospects for the most part seem to be the real deal, giving up the first rounder for Schneider seems to be a solid move. This is top to bottom a very competitive team and the fact everyone is writing us off as bottom feeders is just fine in my book.

I think I started writing off the Devils when Parise left. That's just a big time player that's hard to replace. I do like the Schneider move though.

If it helps, I was pulling for you guys against the Kings.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kovalchuk has great talent, no doubt about it. But to be honest, Devils may be better without him. He had a tendency to be lazy.

Defensively lazy yes. But that seemed to get better as he played with the Devils and he was one of the more effective penalty killers on the team.
I think with Atlanta, they told him to stay on the other side of the ice and not worry about defense.
Otherwise, what I saw, he was not a lazy player at all.
He played half the game and double and triple shifted every game.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Agree with this. Nobody believes this team will make the playoffs.
Its a no pressure season which is good.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agree with this. Nobody believes this team will make the playoffs.
Its a no pressure season which is good.

sure there is "no pressure" since we arent suppose to make the playoffs. but in all honesty there is HUGE pressure. if this team doesn't make the playoffs let alone tank it that lost draft pick is going to hang over this team and be mentioned by EVERYONE with every passing loss.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Damn Cup. you ruined it.

forgot about that draft pick.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Kovy can't be replaced by one player, he was that important to the team. We'll likely be better solely because we aren't relying on one person to do everything this year though. Larsson can step up to provide PP help. Ryder can help out a little with the scoring. Jagr can help out with the fans and his superstar presence. It has to be replacement by committee.

The team wont be as good as last year's healthy team, but it doesn't need to. Most people seem to have forgotten that the Devils were a top 3 team in the league for the first 1/3 of the season when Marty and Kovy was healthy. They will surely be better than the marty/kovyless bottom 5 team due to all the additions so it puts them somewhere between elite and bottom feeder. They may be fighting for the bottom playoff spot but if they get in, none of the season matters. If Schnieder can get on a hot streak and repeat his .988 save percentage preseason then this team can beat anyone. Historically hot goalies have led even worse teams teams to success in the playoffs.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah with cory in net last year i believe we make the playoffs last year. that being said he should be good for stealing some games and hopefully thats enough to get us into the playoffs.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
look at it this way

this balanced somewhat aging team is either going to be really bad or at best fighting for the 8th seed. def should be interesting thats for sure. the one thing is if we are clearly out of come deadline trade some pieces off lou! get a 2nd for jagr. move some d men to get anything

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like we've said it countless times but the season really comes down to Zajac/Henrique and the D. If they can play like the 2012 versions of themselves and not the 2013 version we should be in good shape.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henrique's going to be a good player.

I wish you guys luck this season, as long as you don't meet up with my Hawks.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In spite of the losses to Kovalchuk and Clarkson I think the Devils might actually have a pretty good team this year. Lots of depth and Scheider looks like he could be an ELITE level goalie for them.