• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So... how did it go?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Homer didn't trade schenn, couturier, or the 1st round pick. A+

I like the mason acquisition too. A 3rd is a little more than I would've liked, but when you have no farm system you have to risk it on buy low type deals and hope one or two work out.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can not be overstated - Jarmo Kekeleinen ended his first trade deadline day with all three first round picks intact, two redundant players out, Mason out and a pure scorer in.

Unholy Beast - GM style.

Just read that John Davidson personally flew to New Jersey tonight to meet Gabby and accompany him to Nashville for tomorrow's game. That kind of attention looks good to potential free agents...

First stab at lines I've seen once everyone's in (no idea if it's right, and I disagree)
Umberger - Johansen - Foligno
Gaborik - Anisimov - Dubinski
Atkinson - Letestu - Prospal
Comeau - Boll - Calvert

Still not shabby. I'd want to see Atkinson or Prospal and Gabby with Johansen.

Last edited by a moderator:

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave the Sabres a B+, they gave them an A-

Puck Daddy’s 2013 NHL Trade Deadline Report Card for all 30 teams

1322997315.png

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Columbus Blue Jackets: A

You want a fan wants? To know their team is in good hands. To know that management is going to be aggressively pursuing success while steadfastly protecting the future.

President John Davidson and GM Jarmo Kekalainen added Marian Gaborik, a star offensive talent, without surrendering any of their first-round picks – including the one owned by the Rangers. They added Blake Comeau for a fifth and found a taker for former Calder winner Steve Mason in the Philadelphia Flyers, which might be the single most psychologically damaging place to send Steve Mason not named Vancouver.

Gaborik may never find his form again. And the Blue Jackets may not win enough to make the playoffs this season. But their new leadership won something perhaps even more vital: The confidence and excitement of the fans.

Nailed it.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabres - B+

I like what the Sabres got in return for Pommers. (Hackett, Larsson, 1st in 2013, & 2nd in 2014)

Sabres are in rebuild mode, even if Darcy doesn't want to say it. Pommers isn't a leader who should wear the C, and he should really be a player on the 2nd line, not 1st. IMO

The Sabres also managed to trade away Leopold and Regehr for a 2nd in 2013, conditional fifth-round in 2013, 2nd in 2014, and 2nd in 2015.

Trading away those 3 players alone sheds over 12 million from their payroll, which will help with rebuilding.

Pretty bummed they didn't trade away players like Stafford and Hect, but there is always the off-season to look forward to.

Overall, I think they got great return for what they gave up, and should be in a pretty good postion to build off of it. *fingers crossed*

Price on Stafford was probably way too high, especially considering he's still got 2 more years at $4M.

I'm not even remotely surprised that Hecht is still around. They could waive him and I don't think anyone would take him. Best they could have hoped for would probably have been Mr. Future Considerations.

I am glad though that they didn't move Vanek and Miller. They're going to need some experience to guide some of the younger guys that are going to start rolling in.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penguins - A - for the following reasons:

Iginla is obviously exciting, and adds a much needed RHS.
I'm a bit meh on Morrow, but I think we could use his toughness, especially against the Bruins
Murray might be the best trade in terms of needs, as nobody seemed to want to clear out the crease
Jokinen is a great role player

Mostly I like that we didn't give up any roster players, so we have a lot of bodies to work with come playoff time. Just hope DB knows who to use and who to bench, and I'm not sure he does. Glass and Kennedy don't belong in this lineup IMO.

But the Pens will need Crosby and probably both Letang & Martin at or near 100%. They've looked very different without them.

I agree with you. All of the additions that have played have looked good. They have a month to build chemistry (which is what I think the downfall was the last two games). If Crosby, Letang and Martin get back, it may have the feeling of overwhelming pressure on whoever the opponent is.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a little harsh on the flyers IMO.. even though my hopes are up this morning, they're still a long-shot to make the playoffs.. making a big splash just to make it in, especially when kent huskins and bruno gervais make up your second pair, is just a bad idea.

I think it was a dig at Homer for failing to get a quality goalie when so many were supposedly available. Kinda sounds like they had their sights on Bishop and Bishop only and when they lost that they wound up overpaying for Mason.

Rumors around here are that there were three teams interested in Mason and all for basically picks. The Flyers came calling late and offered the roster player too. Mason was headed to Florida, supposedly. Flyers weren't even in the early talks.

Seriously, anyone but Mason could have helped in net in Philly. And there's a chance he could do well, he has been humbled and his attitude has changed. Philly just needs to have patience with him. And he needs to listen to Reese in ways he never did with Clark.

Kinda wonder if Homer had his focus too narrow across the board. He probably only dangled Briere out there, and maybe put too much focus on landing Yandle. :2cents:

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The author of IPW's article gave Minny an A - I'll give them a solid B for now.

Pominville gives them - hopefully - a touch more offensive depth, which is never a bad thing. I suspect, however, that Cullen or Bouchard are now looking at their last season with the team, which is going to need more $ to keep the youngsters around.

I really don't know anything about Larsson, so I can't comment about what dealing him will 'cost' Minny. I've never been too high on Hacket, so that one doesn't break my heart (But he's young, so there's still time for him to grow into his role). The future draft picks are a price that one has to pay I guess, but I hope that Fletcher doesn't make a habit of giving away too many 1sts & 2nds in the future.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a dig at Homer for failing to get a quality goalie when so many were supposedly available. Kinda sounds like they had their sights on Bishop and Bishop only and when they lost that they wound up overpaying for Mason.

Rumors around here are that there were three teams interested in Mason and all for basically picks. The Flyers came calling late and offered the roster player too. Mason was headed to Florida, supposedly. Flyers weren't even in the early talks.

Seriously, anyone but Mason could have helped in net in Philly. And there's a chance he could do well, he has been humbled and his attitude has changed. Philly just needs to have patience with him. And he needs to listen to Reese in ways he never did with Clark.

Kinda wonder if Homer had his focus too narrow across the board. He probably only dangled Briere out there, and maybe put too much focus on landing Yandle. :2cents:

well, reports in philly are saying ottawa wanted couturier and a 4th for bishop.. which homer laughed at and hung up the phone, as he should have.. no harm in asking if you're ottawa, but if that's youre sticking point, it's not a shock the deal didn't get done

nobody wants luongo unless they get him for like a 3rd round pick, as he stated, his contract is atrocious. vancouver won't accept him as a salary dump (well said in the article), so he stayed in vancouver.

kipper decided to stay with the flames

never really sounded like the kings were interested in moving bernier or quick yesterday

so really, not trading for a quality goalie was the right play IMO.. they overpaid for mason a little bit, but honestly, i think leighton is they reason they had to give up a 3rd instead of a 4th or 5th.. 1. they were at the contract limit, and 2. leighton is a horrible goalie.. so it was kind of a buy-low + salary/contract dump, in the same trade

homer showed patience with the young guys, and didn't sell low on the elite potential they do have (schenn/couturier).. i'm happy about that.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why straight up Couturier for Bishop would be a laugher? Just because a guy was a high first rounder doesn't mean he's the second coming of JC, does it?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's kinda funny that the Flames finally do what the media has been saying they should do for the past two or three years and Puck Daddy still feels the need to pile on. Oh well, quite possibly the most important entry draft in Flames history coming up, hopefully the brain trust can pick some winners.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why straight up Couturier for Bishop would be a laugher? Just because a guy was a high first rounder doesn't mean he's the second coming of JC, does it?

being 15-13-3 with a 2.58 and a .911 in your career (at 26) doesn't exactly make you JC either though

couturier is one of the better defensive forwards in the league. at 20. and if his junior career is any indication, he's going to improve offensively.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's kinda funny that the Flames finally do what the media has been saying they should do for the past two or three years and Puck Daddy still feels the need to pile on. Oh well, quite possibly the most important entry draft in Flames history coming up, hopefully the brain trust can pick some winners.

what I find funny is how lawerence gillman goes on the radio shortly after the roy trade with boasts of all in and making the effort to fill in the holes on our team. then when none of it comes to fruition we get gillis on the standard our holes will be filled by those coming back from injury and the AHL... um they didnt fill them when they were here Gillis... what makes you think I believe they will be fixed on the 2nd go around.

4 and out

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, but when you have a young quality center, you only move him if the return is excellent. That's why I'm hoping that if MacKinnon is available, the Flames take him even if Seth Jones has not been selected. Defensemen can be obtained via trades and free agency, GM's hold onto centers like gold.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but when you have a young quality center, you only move him if the return is excellent. That's why I'm hoping that if MacKinnon is available, the Flames take him even if Seth Jones has not been selected. Defensemen can be obtained via trades and free agency, GM's hold onto centers like gold.

I get it, but that was a thin attempt at a Jeff Carter joke as well.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, Jeff Carter is 20-4 on the season, he's running away with the Cy Young.