• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So... how did it go?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, reports in philly are saying ottawa wanted couturier and a 4th for bishop.. which homer laughed at and hung up the phone, as he should have.. no harm in asking if you're ottawa, but if that's youre sticking point, it's not a shock the deal didn't get done

nobody wants luongo unless they get him for like a 3rd round pick, as he stated, his contract is atrocious. vancouver won't accept him as a salary dump (well said in the article), so he stayed in vancouver.

kipper decided to stay with the flames

never really sounded like the kings were interested in moving bernier or quick yesterday

so really, not trading for a quality goalie was the right play IMO.. they overpaid for mason a little bit, but honestly, i think leighton is they reason they had to give up a 3rd instead of a 4th or 5th.. 1. they were at the contract limit, and 2. leighton is a horrible goalie.. so it was kind of a buy-low + salary/contract dump, in the same trade

homer showed patience with the young guys, and didn't sell low on the elite potential they do have (schenn/couturier).. i'm happy about that.

being 15-13-3 with a 2.58 and a .911 in your career (at 26) doesn't exactly make you JC either though

couturier is one of the better defensive forwards in the league. at 20. and if his junior career is any indication, he's going to improve offensively.

Does not compute. Winning record, around 2.5 GAA and over 900 sv % for a backup? Not Horrible.

Oh, that's right. Philly. Have fun with Mason.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does not compute. Winning record, around 2.5 GAA and over 900 sv % for a backup? Not Horrible.

Oh, that's right. Philly. Have fun with Mason.

not saying it is, but is that worth giving up Couturier+ ?

(those are bishop's stats, not leighton's. if that's the 'not computing' part)

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree pretty much with what IPW said but like Bucky Gleason wrote in his article in todays news they NEED to take the one big final step. It's great that he has piled up a bunch of picks but not convinced he's the GM I want using them....

Regier cleaning up his own mess is messed up

Darcy Regier didn’t want to use the R-word while announcing that Jason Pominville had been traded to Minnesota for two prospects and two draft picks Wednesday. The coy general manager didn’t need to get specific. Anyone listening understood he was talking about some derivative of rebuilding.

Reloading, retooling, reworking, reconstructing, take your pick.

If the Sabres were smart, they would reach into their bowl of alphabet soup for a few more R-words. Here are two in particular that carry a nice ring: Replace Regier.

They’re infinitely cleaner and far more sensible than the choice words fans are using – words that begin with other letters. The Sabres have had too few W’s and way too many L’s, which is why so many fans are getting increasingly PO’d. By the sounds of things, it’s going to get worse.

Regier deserves no criticism for the trade itself. He picked up a first-round pick, a second-round pick plus prospects Johan Larsson and Matt Hackett from the Wild. Overall, it’s a pretty good haul for a guy who had one full season remaining on his contract with a team going nowhere.

Larsson is a 20-year-old forward whom the Wild hoped would be a dependable third-line player in the NHL, perhaps a second-liner. They had concerns about Hackett’s mental toughness, but the goaltender showed flashes of brilliance last season.

Draft picks always come with a degree of uncertainty, but Regier figured he would increase his odds for hitting on a few players if he had more opportunities. He’s playing the percentages. By itself, it makes sense.

The real issue is the reason Regier was forced to trade his captain in the first place. He needs a new foundation because the one he built has crumbled under a mountain of his mistakes. The plan now calls for beginning at the bottom. Check the standings, and you’ll see that the Sabres aren’t far from their starting point.

Con't, I know people hate long post but I'm glad he said it...

Regier cleaning up his own mess is messed up - Sports - The Buffalo News

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not saying it is, but is that worth giving up Couturier+ ?

(those are bishop's stats, not leighton's. if that's the 'not computing' part)

Ah. Thought those were Leighton's numbers. Although at 35-41-10 with 2.97 and .901 that's right about where I'd hope a solid backup would be. Mason's at 99-96-27 with 2.90 and .903. And he was a starter.

Tough to say if Bishop would be worth Couturier. A lot of factors into it. The big two being what's the farm system look like and how bad is a future stud goalie needed?

Don't know what the Flyers have in the system and knowing Philadelphia's history of eating goalies, I wouldn't trade Couturier for Bishop if I was them, either.

But I know that I would not have batted an eye if Columbus moved Brassard for him. That's how much I believe Bishop will be a star. And that's knowing that the Jackets have no super Center in the system and three very good goalie prospects, and an NHL goalie who has seemed to come alive. I'd still take Bishop. He is that good.

I am really surprised the Flyers couldn't have landed Miller, Smith or someone. Tough luck that Halak got hurt, because I bet St Lou was ready to part with Elliott.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am nowhere near as sold on 18 year old prospects (especially ones that slid in the draft) as other people are. The caps got a left handed top 6 left winger (a big need) and gave up no roster players.

FF was at least two years away and may be the next Petr Forsberg. He also may be the next Steve Eminger. Give me known products. He was the 11th pick, not the 1st.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price on Stafford was probably way too high, especially considering he's still got 2 more years at $4M.

I'm not even remotely surprised that Hecht is still around. They could waive him and I don't think anyone would take him. Best they could have hoped for would probably have been Mr. Future Considerations.

I am glad though that they didn't move Vanek and Miller. They're going to need some experience to guide some of the younger guys that are going to start rolling in.

They did say that a few teams expressed interest in Stafford, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that his 4 mil price tag was just too high. Maybe he'll get moved in the off-season?

I agree about Hecht, and don't see the Sabres resigning him after this Season.

And with the collection of goalies the Sabres have suddenly stockpiled, I wouldn't be surprised to see Miller traded in the off-season when the return will be more for him. Also Vanek could be gone since he's already stated he doesn't want to be around for a rebuild.

I know a lot of people want him fired, but I honestly don't think he's done as bad of a job as people are making it out to be.

Given his length of time in Buffalo as GM, I imagine he's made a lot of friends around the League, and has some "pull" when making any trades with other GM's. How else is he able to get so much back almost every time when he makes a trade? The guy is like a wizard of negotiations.

While it is true the team has fallen apart, and they are going into "rebuild" mode, can you honestly fault him 100%? The team he put together a couple of years ago looked great on paper, and everyone thought the Sabres were finally ready to challenge for the Cup. Is it his fault that certain players fell short of expectations? Who could have seen that coming?

At least he knows it's time to pull up stakes and move in a different direction, and with all the prospects and picks he's acquired, I believe the Sabres are off on the right foot in their "rebuilding." Besides, this year's draft is supposed to be the 2nd coming of 2003?

Just another look at it is all.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah. Thought those were Leighton's numbers. Although at 35-41-10 with 2.97 and .901 that's right about where I'd hope a solid backup would be. Mason's at 99-96-27 with 2.90 and .903. And he was a starter.

Tough to say if Bishop would be worth Couturier. A lot of factors into it. The big two being what's the farm system look like and how bad is a future stud goalie needed?

Don't know what the Flyers have in the system and knowing Philadelphia's history of eating goalies, I wouldn't trade Couturier for Bishop if I was them, either.

But I know that I would not have batted an eye if Columbus moved Brassard for him. That's how much I believe Bishop will be a star. And that's knowing that the Jackets have no super Center in the system and three very good goalie prospects, and an NHL goalie who has seemed to come alive. I'd still take Bishop. He is that good.

I am really surprised the Flyers couldn't have landed Miller, Smith or someone. Tough luck that Halak got hurt, because I bet St Lou was ready to part with Elliott.

the bold is really what i was getting at with the post you quoted. i'll take mason over leighton as the backup goalie every day of the week though (hence the BJs getting a 3rd as well).. but the real value there is mason's potential. it doesn't look like the BJs need any potential at backup, they've got plenty in their starter

the mason deal is a great deal for the BJs. honestly, it's not all that different from when they traded for Bobrovsky. Both situations were buy low, and hope they can return to form, deals. Bobrovsky cost a little more because his success was a little more recent. Bob looks to have panned out for the BJs, we'll see on the Mason part.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the bold is really what i was getting at with the post you quoted. i'll take mason over leighton as the backup goalie every day of the week though (hence the BJs getting a 3rd as well).. but the real value there is mason's potential. it doesn't look like the BJs need any potential at backup, they've got plenty in their starter

the mason deal is a great deal for the BJs. honestly, it's not all that different from when they traded for Bobrovsky. Both situations were buy low, and hope they can return to form, deals. Bobrovsky cost a little more because his success was a little more recent. Bob looks to have panned out for the BJs, we'll see on the Mason part.

Just the pick for Mason would have been great, because there is no way he was re-signing here. JD said today that it "just had to be done". He sad that he hopes Mason can regain his form, but there was just no path for Mason here. The only reason he stayed with the big club is because McIlhenny was having a kick ass year in Springfield. The Falcons are a championship contender.

I like Mase (even though he almost ran over me with his pickup once), but he stepped on a lot of toes as a 20 year old and never was able to fix that. I do truly hope he gets it figured out

All the Jackets need out of Leighton is to open the bench door for a year until Dansk, Forsberg and Ouellet are ready to challenge Bob. In his interview today, sounds like he might not have the rosiest of attitudes. He called Bob a "hard working kid".

Last edited by a moderator:

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B-

Didn't do much, other than acquiring a depth D man for a fourth; meh. I think in the case of the Leafs though; Nonews is good news.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B-

Didn't do much, other than acquiring a depth D man for a fourth; meh. I think in the case of the Leafs though; Nonews is good news.

Good call BB. I read this on CBS Sportsline, Winners and Losers...

Toronto Maple Leafs -- This one is easy.

The Maple Leafs are winners for the simple fact that Miikka Kiprusoff isn't coming to Toronto.

Granted, general manager Dave Nonis said they were trying to make it happen, but Kiprusoff didn't want to move and basically saved the Maple Leafs from themselves. Given the way James Reimer and Ben Scrivens have played this season it would have been nonsensical for the Maple Leafs to give up assets for a severely declining goalie. And that's not true for just Kiprusoff, that's true for any veteran goalie they may have acquired.

They have a pretty good break down.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22001230/nhl-trade-deadline-winners-and-losers

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did say that a few teams expressed interest in Stafford, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that his 4 mil price tag was just too high. Maybe he'll get moved in the off-season?

I agree about Hecht, and don't see the Sabres resigning him after this Season.

And with the collection of goalies the Sabres have suddenly stockpiled, I wouldn't be surprised to see Miller traded in the off-season when the return will be more for him. Also Vanek could be gone since he's already stated he doesn't want to be around for a rebuild.

I know a lot of people want him fired, but I honestly don't think he's done as bad of a job as people are making it out to be.

Given his length of time in Buffalo as GM, I imagine he's made a lot of friends around the League, and has some "pull" when making any trades with other GM's. How else is he able to get so much back almost every time when he makes a trade? The guy is like a wizard of negotiations.

While it is true the team has fallen apart, and they are going into "rebuild" mode, can you honestly fault him 100%? The team he put together a couple of years ago looked great on paper, and everyone thought the Sabres were finally ready to challenge for the Cup. Is it his fault that certain players fell short of expectations? Who could have seen that coming?

At least he knows it's time to pull up stakes and move in a different direction, and with all the prospects and picks he's acquired, I believe the Sabres are off on the right foot in their "rebuilding." Besides, this year's draft is supposed to be the 2nd coming of 2003?

Just another look at it is all.

IPW, Do you think they will bring back RR as coach?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just the pick for Mason would have been great, because there is no way he was re-signing here. JD said today that it "just had to be done". He sad that he hopes Mason can regain his form, but there was just no path for Mason here. The only reason he stayed with the big club is because McIlhenny was having a kick ass year in Springfield. The Falcons are a championship contender.

I like Mase (even though he almost ran over me with his pickup once), but he stepped on a lot of toes as a 20 year old and never was able to fix that. I do truly hope he gets it figured out

All the Jackets need out of Leighton is to open the bench door for a year until Dansk, Forsberg and Ouellet are ready to challenge Bob. In his interview today, sounds like he might not have the rosiest of attitudes. He called Bob a "hard working kid".

leighton is a real good door opener, gotta give him that. he's had a lot of time to hone that skill this year. beware of back problems though, it's good to give him a breather every now and then.