• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So getting ready to take the plunge on a new Kamado Joe

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
got did of my Pit Boss kamado cooker. Poor workmanship on it and had to keep getting replacement parts and way too much wrench time on things that should just work. So getting ready to go big time.

Anyone have any of new 3 series Joes? Just curious if anyone really thinks they are worth that much extra cooking wise vs the two since the 2 doesn’t have the diffuser.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
got did of my Pit Boss kamado cooker. Poor workmanship on it and had to keep getting replacement parts and way too much wrench time on things that should just work. So getting ready to go big time.

Anyone have any of new 3 series Joes? Just curious if anyone really thinks they are worth that much extra cooking wise vs the two since the 2 doesn’t have the diffuser.
Take some photos, so I can live vicariously.

IrishBlooded

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take some photos, so I can live vicariously.
I’m leaning towards the 2. I just can’t justify that price difference. Especially for something I can’t take to a competition. And there is a rim or they are going to make a retro kit for the diffuser to go on the two.

Right now you can get the big joe for about 1500 through Costco until next month. But I could get a pretty sweet deal through Atlanta for a 3 model as well. But still a huge price difference

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pricey fuckers. Hope its worth it.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the green egg thingy.

big-KJIII.jpg

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i bought a dyna-glo charcoal grill a couple weeks ago, back in June. Thing grills like a champ, only cost me $179.

Wunder.Noid

All your trophies are belong to Bama
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when I was thinking about getting into ceramic smokers the Primo was the only one made in the USA. Don't know if that is a concern for you op but it would be for me. :suds:

IrishBlooded

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when I was thinking about getting into ceramic smokers the Primo was the only one made in the USA. Don't know if that is a concern for you op but it would be for me. :suds:

I’m all for American made. If it works. Unfortunately Primo grills don’t hold up. On the BBQ forums tons of people have complained of issues in the lid hinge, cracked, and exterior inferior finish.

In the case of lump charcoal about the only charcoal I use is. B and B. Which is American made. And is a great product.

I can’t justify spending good money on bad products regardless of where it is made.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have kamado Joe, but they look really nice. If I were to get kamado style cooker would either be KJ or Weber summit

The series 3 stands taller, nicer hinge, better top vent, and charcoal divider. I'd spring for the 3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m all for American made. If it works. Unfortunately Primo grills don’t hold up. On the BBQ forums tons of people have complained of issues in the lid hinge, cracked, and exterior inferior finish.

In the case of lump charcoal about the only charcoal I use is. B and B. Which is American made. And is a great product.

I can’t justify spending good money on bad products regardless of where it is made.

Make no mistake...you're getting the best value in the Kamado ceramic grills with the KJ imo and I'm a Primo Oval XL owner.

That said, to date your comment on the Primo does not apply to mine and many other Primo owners that I know. I've only had mine about 2 yrs, but know others with 5 yrs and longer and have none of the issues that I also have seen in BBQ forums seem to be an issue....my biggest complaint about the Primo is the deflector plate holders are a cheaper metal, they will have to be replaced in a yr or two.

Mine is covered when not in use, which I would recommend for any ceramic grill/smoker. I've cooked on all 3...there is no real difference in the food imo...the operating functions (namely the hinge), accessories and price make the KJ the best value.

grill island 3.0.jpg primo recent.JPG primo covered.JPG

I got the Primo Oval XL because I do a lot of 2 zone cooking and it's easier with the Oval than the other ceramics. Being American made was a factor (especially right in my backyard, Tucker GA), but I agree, that wouldn't matter if the product doesn't hold up.

So far for me...that hasn't been a problem....the top pic was new obviously...the middle pic was taken last week...I use it a lot...probably has 50+ cooks on it in this pic.

Regardless, you'll enjoy your KJ...they are awesome at grilling and when equipped they are on par with the better smokers out there.

Wunder.Noid

All your trophies are belong to Bama
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make no mistake...you're getting the best value in the Kamado ceramic grills with the KJ imo and I'm a Primo Oval XL owner.

That said, to date your comment on the Primo does not apply to mine and many other Primo owners that I know. I've only had mine about 2 yrs, but know others with 5 yrs and longer and have none of the issues that I also have seen in BBQ forums seem to be an issue....my biggest complaint about the Primo is the deflector plate holders are a cheaper metal, they will have to be replaced in a yr or two.

Mine is covered when not in use, which I would recommend for any ceramic grill/smoker. I've cooked on all 3...there is no real difference in the food imo...the operating functions (namely the hinge), accessories and price make the KJ the best value.

View attachment 211723 View attachment 211725 View attachment 211726

I got the Primo Oval XL because I do a lot of 2 zone cooking and it's easier with the Oval than the other ceramics. Being American made was a factor (especially right in my backyard, Tucker GA), but I agree, that wouldn't matter if the product doesn't hold up.

So far for me...that hasn't been a problem....the top pic was new obviously...the middle pic was taken last week...I use it a lot...probably has 50+ cooks on it in this pic.

Regardless, you'll enjoy your KJ...they are awesome at grilling and when equipped they are on par with the better smokers out there.
Nice setup!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes a lot of sense. Nice setup you have.

Thanks. One investment that has worked out even better than we thought. We use this set up at least 3 times a week...year round.

The biggest difference is the oval shape allow them to divide the firebox. In this pic, I'm on direct heat on the left side (cast iron) and deflector plate and with coals under the right side...perfect for this cook where I have seared the steaks on the left and cooking them thru on the right. If I put no coals on the right, and no deflector plate, it's perfect for roasting delicate veggies like tomatoes, peppers, asparagus with ambient heat.

You can do this with a BGE of KJ but it's not as easy.

primo 2 zone.JPG

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have kamado Joe, but they look really nice. If I were to get kamado style cooker would either be KJ or Weber summit

The series 3 stands taller, nicer hinge, better top vent, and charcoal divider. I'd spring for the 3

I'm fine with the Primo Oval XL, but if I were going to get a KJ, I'd get the III as well. The hinge is a difference maker...especially for females...the top vent is better in the 3 but the top vent is just a fine tuner. I like the ash box in the KJ units too, but it fills up rather quickly.