• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So does our trade look worse now with Welker deal?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO, I think this almost makes our trade for Anquan Boldin look like a waste. We did only give up a 6th round pick so not too bad still but it is kind of wasted.

We couldve had a better player in Welker for about the same amount of money and an extra year on the deal instead of a one year rental thats even bigger then the thrown away 6th rounder.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
1 year at 6 million for Boldin > 2 years at 7 million per for Welker IMO. The Niners needed a red zone threat.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thrown away a 6th rounder? Please tell me how the 6th round pick would have been better used.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welker is a product of targets and that is all. He would be lucky to see half the number of targets he saw with Brady with us. For our offense ~ Boldin >>> Welker

IMO, we got the better deal - by far.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Boldin will more closely fill the Delanie Walker role in our offense, minus the crappy hands. We got a downfield blocker, a red zone threat, better hands, toughness, and veteran leadership. My two cents.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand this question here. So good players cant be chosen in the 6th round?

Delanie walker...

Let's not pretend that the 6th rounder had much of a chance to make the roster. Has it happened before? Sure. Could it happen? Sure, but I think you should stick to making a case for Welker being better than Boldin if you want to continue this line of thinking.

I prefer Anquan to Welker just based on versatility/variety of routes. So for me it's easy.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin having only one year on his deal is a good thing. It frees up money after the 13-14 season for extensions to Kap, Crabs, Aldon, ADavis, Iupati.

Plus, Welker and Boldin have two completely different skillsets. Williams and Manningham can be a poor man's Welker. No one on the team (maybe Crabs) can replicate what Boldin brings to the table.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin having only one year on his deal is a good thing. It frees up money after the 13-14 season for extensions to Kap, Crabs, Aldon, ADavis, Iupati.

Plus, Welker and Boldin have two completely different skillsets. Williams and Manningham can be a poor man's Welker. No one on the team (maybe Crabs) can replicate what Boldin brings to the table.

Good point. Especially if Welker is as "system-y" as some believe. Time will tell on that.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let's not pretend that the 6th rounder had much of a chance to make the roster. Has it happened before? Sure. Could it happen? Sure, but I think you should stick to making a case for Welker being better than Boldin if you want to continue this line of thinking.

I prefer Anquan to Welker just based on versatility/variety of routes. So for me it's easy.

Well yeah, like I've said the 6th rounder isn't huge losing but it is still kind of wasted. Couldve maybe found someone good with the pick or possible trade value. My response was to the poster basically implying it's worthless.

And definitely, the main part of the conversation is Boldin vs Welker and who is better.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
welker is a very bad fit in our offense.

Agreed. I wanted a bigger, tough WR who's a pain in the ass to cover because he uses position & jumps high like a basketball player to play in the slot. Boldin fits that bill.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yeah, like I've said the 6th rounder isn't huge losing but it is still kind of wasted. Couldve maybe found someone good with the pick or possible trade value. My response was to the poster basically implying it's worthless.

And definitely, the main part of the conversation is Boldin vs Welker and who is better.

And my response was to remind you that it IS basically worthless on a team like the Niners with the amount of picks this year and 1st & 2nds who weren't seeing the field for vast portions of the season last year.

The "basically" just qualifies for the possibility of a long shot like a Delanie or (and this one is much more grounded in reality) you're able to use it to trade for something you will use. Baalke got more out of that pick than we could have hoped.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont know if Boldin is the red zone threat you guys think he is. He had a phenomenal playoffs but that was not the norm.

During the season, Boldin had 4 Td catches. The year before he had 3 TD catches.

And Welker is great at moving the chains and picking up yards. He can fit in anyones offense. Boldin and Welker would have similar roles.

Additionally, Welker has some value returning punts. We all know its nice to have a reliable guy back there.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I dont know if Boldin is the red zone threat you guys think he is. He had a phenomenal playoffs but that was not the norm.

During the season, Boldin had 4 Td catches. The year before he had 3 TD catches.

And Welker is great at moving the chains and picking up yards. He can fit in anyones offense. Boldin and Welker would have similar roles.

Additionally, Welker has some value returning punts. We all know its nice to have a reliable guy back there.

True, but Boldin is also a great blocking WR. That's what he'll be doing in the red zone most of the time IMO.

I'm hoping the Niners like Armstead as a TE as well because that would be an insanely good run-blocking front.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, agree to disagree on the bold there.

I'm not going to sit here and say that Boldin is gonna be the red zone beast we need but to say that those two WR's arsenals are somewhat interchangeable is WAY off, imo.