• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SJ - I'm Officially on the Sammy Gravy Train

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love to see the wr from Clemson as a ram. We need a true #1 not a bunch of role player wrs.

Agreed... except (and SJ, please forgive me, in advance. Lol) I don't know that Watkins is a "true #1" guy. I watched the Orange Bowl and Watkins lit my Buckeyes up! It was a sight to see. I wouldn't be opposed one bit to seeing him in a Rams uni, come next year. But, not if we're gonna spend the #2 overall pick to get him. So, I assume this would be pending a trade of some sort.

Tons of WRs have "lit it up" in college and in bowl games. Hell... we drafted two of them of them last year. But, I just don't see Watkins as this "can't miss" prospect. When I think of top ten draft-worthy WRs, I think 6' 3" to 6' 5" 230+ lbs, big body guys. Your Calvin Johnson/Terrell Owens types.

Plus, with the glut of new receivers we've already got, he might be a bit of overkill. Lol. I'd tend to lean more towards ANGELAKERSRAMS and address the O-line, first. But, honestly... anything to help this stagnant offense will be just fine with me. Now, if Watkins is around at #16 (assuming we haven't traded the picks around) I'd definitely give him a look. But, he doesn't strike me as one of those "once in a generation" kinda guys. At #2, I'd pass. But, that's just me.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on KSU

You can't seriously compare Matthews and his body of work ( not to mention his family pedigree ) with Smith, a converted TE with very little body of work.

And, you can't assume Erving, Kou, Robinson and Lewan will be available at #13. If they take Watkins at #2, and the OT's are gone by #13, Watkins will be of no help because this OL is terrible at pass protection.

True, not really comparing the players ALR, just the spot. And yes, based on EVERY single mock draft I have looked at over the last 6 weeks or more, Kouandjio,Robinson,Lewan or Erving will indeed be there at #13. So I ask you this... would rather have Watkins and, say, Erving or Matthews and another role playing, not a true game changer at WR??

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only issue with skipping on Watkins and hoping for Evans as a plan B is there is much less of a chance he will be there at #13 than one of the FOUR other OT's.

Now would I be opposed to getting Matthews and Evans as a combo...not even one bit. So I think we could not go wrong either way... this is gonna be fun to watch.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I knew the other 3 OT's were going to be as good as Matthews, then I would wait and take one at #13.

Problem is, I don't see it. But I hope I am wrong if that is the direction the Rams decide to go.

But you are probably right about Evans not being there at #13. Guy is the prototypical WR and some team will take him before #13.

But KSU, don't you think the Rams need to fix the OL before taking another WR? They just took Austin at #8 last draft and now everyone wants them to take another at #2? Don't the Rams need to let some of these young WR's develop before throwing in the towel? The best way to do that is to give Sam some freakin' time in the pocket to get them the stinkin' ball. 2-3 seconds is not enough time and Sam is not mobile enough to buy them those extra seconds.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALR, I tend to agree to that an OT is a much safer and solid pick at #2 then a WR. And you've seen post for the past few years on ESPN that I hate how we drafted WRs, I didn't want to trade up for Austin last season! (I was okay with the move after we traded back and still got Ogletree but thats another story). Sammy Watkins is special, I've been watching this kid since he hit it off in the NCAA and I want him! If we can't get Watkins, I DO NOT think we should draft a WR in the first round, the others aren't on the same level, IMO. The argument about Mathews and the OL is solid, but I do not think its in the shambles it once was, its still not great but its better. I still have hope for Long and hope we re-sign Rodger. Even with that, obviously our line need helps, I am all for drafting a OT at #13 and think we can agree that Mathews is clearly the number one OT, but I do not think he is Matt Kalil level prospect, and I think someone like Erving or Robinson or whoever we end up getting will help just as much.

As far as later OL help, I really like Gabe Jackson, I always hear good things about him and think we can help us, but I am hoping that we use our 2nd round selection on FSU FS Lamarcus Joyner, and sure up that position. Free agency will obviously play a major role in a lot of this.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams must take Watkins with the #2 or trade back and hopefully get him at another spot. I agree that the Rams have drafted WRs lately but they are not Sammy Watkins. With Austin in the slot, Bailey as the possession WR and Watkins as the beast, add Cook and Kendricks, the hands and speed is beyond covering. Now the Rams do need O-linemen of course but other than a FS or CB and an future OLB & QB, the draft can be a staple o-line draft. Just my opinion but Sammy Watkins is the match that lights the fire.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Blue. That Orange bowl game was amazing and we really should take this guy. AS much as I want Matthews, I think Kouandijo at 13 will be a value pick. I hope we can get both Watkins and Matthews but I realize that might be more wishful thinking on my part and less reality especially with Fisher's tendency not to take O-lineman in the first as he whiffed last year on Kyle Long.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who watched Oklahoma and Alabama play should want absolutely nothing to do with Cyrus Kouandjio. He'll be a guard at the NFL level, imo. He got absolutely destroyed by Oklahoma.

Greg Robinson is probably the only other tackle on the same level as Matthews but he is more of a run blocker and a bit less tested in the passing game. He also might not declare.

And dropping from Matthews to Lewan is like dropping from a LT prospect to a RT prospect.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then Clayton, if that is the case then we'd better arrange some scenario to select both Watkins and Matthews. I don't know if that is possible at this juncture.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then Clayton, if that is the case then we'd better arrange some scenario to select both Watkins and Matthews. I don't know if that is possible at this juncture.
It isn't. We'll have to pass on Watkins despite his talent. Same with Clowney.

Keep in mind that the team with AJ Green went home yesterday while the team with Keenan Allen is still playing. Teams don't need a flashy WR at the expense of other areas. And we already have a young WR corps with a lot of potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I knew the other 3 OT's were going to be as good as Matthews, then I would wait and take one at #13.

Problem is, I don't see it. But I hope I am wrong if that is the direction the Rams decide to go.

But you are probably right about Evans not being there at #13. Guy is the prototypical WR and some team will take him before #13.

But KSU, don't you think the Rams need to fix the OL before taking another WR? They just took Austin at #8 last draft and now everyone wants them to take another at #2? Don't the Rams need to let some of these young WR's develop before throwing in the towel? The best way to do that is to give Sam some freakin' time in the pocket to get them the stinkin' ball. 2-3 seconds is not enough time and Sam is not mobile enough to buy them those extra seconds.

I wasn't even aware that OT was a huge need for our OL. I thought RG/C/LG were bigger needs? I mean we're talking about cutting Wells and Dahl, not to mention Williams was awful in most games. So why Draft an OT? Barksdale was a top 10 RT and Long a top 5 LT in both run and pass protections according to pro football focus. Sure Long got hurt but they're saying he'll be back at the beginning of the year. Only person with question marks around him is Saffold whom was a monster at RG. So if we retain him we just need to fill LG/C with good starters.

Here is our Oline grades for the 1st and 2nd quarter of the season. NFL.com has our unit @ #8 for the entire season. Sorry But I don't think OL is our main concern. I think finding a couple of guys to fill some shoes will be a bit of a mission but it's just a position that needs to be retooled not rebuilt.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/09/ranking-the-2013-offensive-lines-first-quarter/
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/20/ranking-the-2013-offensive-lines-second-quarter/3/
NFL Stats: by Team Category

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't. We'll have to pass on Watkins despite his talent. Same with Clowney.

Keep in mind that the team with AJ Green went home yesterday while the team with Keenan Allen is still playing. Teams don't need a flashy WR at the expense of other areas. And we already have a young WR corps with a lot of potential.

You don't think Keenan Allen is flashy? He's a monster.... And you can't put that loss on AJ, but you can put it on Dalton.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think Keenan Allen is flashy? He's a monster.... And you can't put that loss on AJ, but you can put it on Dalton.

But he contributed, was like a phantom for most of the game and dropped a td pass. Add in the fumbles from the running back and dalton you have an overall bad game

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it has more to do with the entire team not playing that well. You're right he should of caught that TD pass but you can't put one drop on his shoulders. Maybe he was just having an off day. Really I'm just mad we whiffed on Allen.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a very big difference between Allen and Green. Green was a top 10 pick. Allen wasn't.

Id put it on Dalton, their coaching staff and Green. Dalton threw it 51 times. If you are trying to win a playoff game with a team like the Bengals, Dalton should be throwing it less than 30.

Could you imagine Jeff Fisher throwing it 50 times in a playoff game with our D and Bradford? Its pretty similar

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a very big difference between Allen and Green. Green was a top 10 pick. Allen wasn't.

Id put it on Dalton, their coaching staff and Green. Dalton threw it 51 times. If you are trying to win a playoff game with a team like the Bengals, Dalton should be throwing it less than 30.

Could you imagine Jeff Fisher throwing it 50 times in a playoff game with our D and Bradford? Its pretty similar

I could if we had Keenum :P

I know they aren't built for that type of football.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, I am tired of the Rams trying to fix the offense with all these WR's drafted "to help Sam out", and completely ignore the one thing that would help him most (OL).

Quantity of WRs doesn't mean we've tried to give Sam a Quality #1 WR. You all know about my opinion on Bradford... But I can give him ANOTHER year with a #1 WR. Our Oline can be upgraded with our picks and they should be fine even with Jake Long out.

And Greg Robinson, LT Auburn is nowhere near in LT Matthews category. GR is a road grading run blocker, but isn't great in pass protection. Auburn runs the ball down your throat, hardly ever passes.

There are so many good LTs in this draft. Lewan is the guy I want at 13. And we know about big 10 Olineman.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quantity of WRs doesn't mean we've tried to give Sam a Quality #1 WR. You all know about my opinion on Bradford... But I can give him ANOTHER year with a #1 WR. Our Oline can be upgraded with our picks and they should be fine even with Jake Long out.

And Greg Robinson, LT Auburn is nowhere near in LT Matthews category. GR is a road grading run blocker, but isn't great in pass protection. Auburn runs the ball down your throat, hardly ever passes.

There are so many good LTs in this draft. Lewan is the guy I want at 13. And we know about big 10 Olineman.

+10million

I think everyone assumes because we picked TA @ #8 he's automatically our No. 1 guy. he wasn't even the No. 1 guy when he was in college. He's a utility/slot guy that you create mismatches with. I don't know the last time we actually drafted a true #1 WR. Donnie Avery??? lol. What a joke that was.

As far as LT's go I don't think we even need one. Not in the first round at least. Like I said in another post J Long was rated top 5 in LT's this year and our Oline was rated top 10. Which isn't bad by any means. I don't think we draft a LT in the first. Maybe in the 2nd or 3rd depending on what happens with trades and FA. We'll lose some players this year thats for sure so we'll need to retool our Oline but I don't think we need to go beyond that.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring in Taylor Lewan with Jake Long. Both Michigan studs. Lewan is way more talented than Saffold was. And bigger.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea SJ76, if we take Watkins and we can't work any other scenarios to get both Matthews and Watkins then the best case scenario would be to take Watkins at 2 and Lewan at 13 and re-sign Saffold and then pick up a center and another guard later on.