• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sixers - Revisionist history

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine if the Sixers had drafted Porzingis instead of Okafor. Had they been able to pull this off, I would have indeed written them up as the "superteam" of the future. The size and versatility of a healthy Simmons/Embiid/Porzingis trio would have been tough to beat.

But, as it stands today, I'm taking the ole "believe it when I see it" approach to Philly as opposed to just blindly assuming their current hotshot prospects will automatically turn into superstars (looking at one poster on here in particular)...Too many turnovers and undisciplined players.

Okafor was an awful selection. He was traded with a pick for Trevor Booker, who they later bought out. Booker is now a Pacer.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it's a bit early to anoint the Sixers as a "superteam of the future." But you have to admit, early returns are favorable.

Imo, the biggest obstacle to this team being a force in the future is health, particularly with Embiid. These guys are young, so you never know how they will handle early success. But just on pure talent and what they've shown so far, they look to have a very bright future.

As for the turnovers and undisciplined play...this is a very young team. They should be able to clean a lot of that up as they gain experience.

End of the day though, this team has talented players, but they haven't proven a thing. So it will be interesting to see how close they can come to fulfilling their potential.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embiid/Simmons/Saric/Covington is a hell of a young core. If Fultz lives up to his potential that makes it even more scary. Sure Okafor sucks, but you can miss on a player when the Sixers built up as many assets as they had. Also, let's not forget what Michael Carter Williams' trade turned into. I remember when everyone was laughing at the Sixers for trading "the rookie of the year" Dude is a G-League level talent.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure what your point is here other than generic downplaying of the Sixers. What is this revisionism you speak of?

Yes, they should have drafted Porzingas or Booker or Winslow. That was a whiff, which can definitely happen.

But the Sixers starting 5 is statistically one of the best starting 5 unites in basketball. IIRC, their starting 5 has the best net rating(21.9) of any starting lineup in basketball and by quite a large margin.

Their current team has a rookie doing historically unique things, a guy with half a season under his belt prior to this season and a 2nd year man as 3 of their 5 starters.

And that ignores that they had the No. 1 overall pick miss essentially the entire season and the will likely have the No 10 or so pick in next year's draft.

The future is unpredictable so who knows how things will play out but it is hard to argue that the Sixers aren't one of the most promising teams in basketball.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The positive about the Sixers, all that young talent has a history of durability and good health.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure what your point is here other than generic downplaying of the Sixers. What is this revisionism you speak of?

Yes, they should have drafted Porzingas or Booker or Winslow. That was a whiff, which can definitely happen.

But the Sixers starting 5 is statistically one of the best starting 5 unites in basketball. IIRC, their starting 5 has the best net rating(21.9) of any starting lineup in basketball and by quite a large margin.

Their current team has a rookie doing historically unique things, a guy with half a season under his belt prior to this season and a 2nd year man as 3 of their 5 starters.

And that ignores that they had the No. 1 overall pick miss essentially the entire season and the will likely have the No 10 or so pick in next year's draft.

The future is unpredictable so who knows how things will play out but it is hard to argue that the Sixers aren't one of the most promising teams in basketball.

He is attempting to take a shot at me because I have been praising the Sixer rebuild from the start of the process. That is the sole purpose of this thread.

As I have said before, there are no guarantees on anything. Embiid has had health issues, Simmons does not have a jumper yet, but they both look like future superstars if they continue on their current trajectories.

Also, OP ignores the fact that their two young stars are still on rookie deals and they have the cap space to sign a third star player, and the assets to possibly even trade for a 4th if they so desire.

If I had to rank every roster in the NBA based on potential for the next decade, the only team I would rank ahead of Philly is Golden State. Their situation is outstanding.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is attempting to take a shot at me because I have been praising the Sixer rebuild from the start of the process. That is the sole purpose of this thread.

As I have said before, there are no guarantees on anything. Embiid has had health issues, Simmons does not have a jumper yet, but they both look like future superstars if they continue on their current trajectories.

Also, OP ignores the fact that their two young stars are still on rookie deals and they have the cap space to sign a third star player, and the assets to possibly even trade for a 4th if they so desire.

If I had to rank every roster in the NBA based on potential for the next decade, the only team I would rank ahead of Philly is Golden State. Their situation is outstanding.

OK, but what exactly is the revisionist history and what is his actual argument against your point?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, but what exactly is the revisionist history and what is his actual argument against your point?

I have no idea. I don't think he has one.

Because if they had Porzingas, they would not have Simmons. They are both really good, but I will take Simmons all day every day over Porzingas. And the cap space to sign quality running mates is a large part of why the future is so bright.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still don't get how you see GS that way. Next decade? You think that highly of Pat McCaw and Jordan Bell?

The Warriors are the team of the present, they are in no way the team of the future.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't get how you see GS that way. Next decade? You think that highly of Pat McCaw and Jordan Bell?

The Warriors are the team of the present, they are in no way the team of the future.

LOL. No.

I do think their window for championships is longer than 2 years, but it definitely isn't 10.

I will take the odds on favorite to win the next 2-4 rings over a potential future super team that might not ever fully bloom.

My point is that I would take the 6er roster over everybody else. Including Houston.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think their window for championships is longer than 2 years,

I agree. But each year will get more difficult and it could end any time. I remember when the Shaq/Kobe Lakers looked like they would be winning titles for 10 years.

Lots of things happen that can derail things. Whether it's egos, injuries, boredom, guys getting older/run down from deep playoff runs or the league catching up...the only the harder than getting to the top of the hill, is staying there.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. But each year will get more difficult and it could end any time. I remember when the Shaq/Kobe Lakers looked like they would be winning titles for 10 years.

Lots of things happen that can derail things. Whether it's egos, injuries, boredom, guys getting older/run down from deep playoff runs or the league catching up...the only the harder than getting to the top of the hill, is staying there.

No question about it getting tougher.

They will be elite contenders for at least the next 4 years though.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is attempting to take a shot at me because I have been praising the Sixer rebuild from the start of the process.

@tlance is living rent free in Cane's head.

Sad

You'd think he'd get tired of this.

tumblr_inline_mm2sdjuYRq1qz4rgp.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea. I don't think he has one.

Because if they had Porzingas, they would not have Simmons. They are both really good, but I will take Simmons all day every day over Porzingas. And the cap space to sign quality running mates is a large part of why the future is so bright.

Yeah. Porzingas is one of those guys who can be a monster when he is on but he also can disappear. Simmons produces every game in every aspect of the game aside from outside shooting.

The Sixers are similar to what people thought the Twolves would be, 3 years ago, except that Wiggins never really develop beyond pretty good slightly above average league starter.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question about it getting tougher.

They will be elite contenders for at least the next 4 years though.

If Klay Thompson leaves this summer, that changes the team significantly.

They've already had 3-4 dominant years. Who will replace them is hard to say but I can't see the Warriors still being a contending team in 4 years.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine if the Sixers had drafted Porzingis instead of Okafor. Had they been able to pull this off, I would have indeed written them up as the "superteam" of the future. The size and versatility of a healthy Simmons/Embiid/Porzingis trio would have been tough to beat.

But, as it stands today, I'm taking the ole "believe it when I see it" approach to Philly as opposed to just blindly assuming their current hotshot prospects will automatically turn into superstars (looking at one poster on here in particular)...Too many turnovers and undisciplined players.

Okafor was an awful selection. He was traded with a pick for Trevor Booker, who they later bought out. Booker is now a Pacer.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

:suds:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They've already had 3-4 dominant years. Who will replace them is hard to say but I can't see the Warriors still being a contending team in 4 years.

I don't think he is a FA til next summer though.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Klay has one more year after this one, not going anywhere this summer

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

:suds:

Brilliant!