• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Situational pass-rusher need

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I've been thinking about this. I think Harbaugh knows the Niners need a situational pass-rusher because he was so high on Bruce Irvin last offseason. They actually could have used Parys Haralson this season; that might've been a bigger hit than we realized.

After Jones, Moore, Ansah & Werner (and people are also saying Dion Jordan, but I didn't pay much attention to him; I'm skeptical. Never struck me as a dominant guy), the pass-rushers get a little fuzzy. Tank Carradine might be a guy who could fill that role. Maybe Brandon Jenkins, but I have him rated around the same area as Carradine. I'm always wary of FSU D-linemen. There's always the 2 guys from LSU, but are they worthy of a trade up? I don't think so. I'd much rather have Warmack, Richardson or Hankins.

Will Osi Umenyiora get a huge contract? He could be worth a look.

That's about it though. Okafor might be there at 31, but would that be a reach?

If the Niners fill that role, Osi & Carradine are probably the 2 best candidates IMO.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking about this. I think Harbaugh knows the Niners need a situational pass-rusher because he was so high on Bruce Irvin last offseason. They actually could have used Parys Haralson this season; that might've been a bigger hit than we realized.

After Jones, Moore, Ansah & Werner (and people are also saying Dion Jordan, but I didn't pay much attention to him; I'm skeptical. Never struck me as a dominant guy), the pass-rushers get a little fuzzy. Tank Carradine might be a guy who could fill that role. Maybe Brandon Jenkins, but I have him rated around the same area as Carradine. I'm always wary of FSU D-linemen. There's always the 2 guys from LSU, but are they worthy of a trade up? I don't think so. I'd much rather have Warmack, Richardson or Hankins.

Will Osi Umenyiora get a huge contract? He could be worth a look.

That's about it though. Okafor might be there at 31, but would that be a reach?

If the Niners fill that role, Osi & Carradine are probably the 2 best candidates IMO.

Yeah, we all remember how awesome Aldon was last year when he would come off the bench for 3rd downs. Something about bringing in a fresh guy just makes a difference. As others have stated, we could use more depth and rotation for our front seven.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sure Osi or someone from the Rams didnt they lead the league in sacks?!

Neither one of 'em led the league in sacks. You may be thinking about Chris Long?

Osi's best days are behind him, but that could mean he doesn't get a lot of attention in FA. And having him come in as a situational pass-rusher would keep him fresh, which is what he needs at his age.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always liked Jason Jones (Titans/Seahawks). I think he would be a good situational pass rushing DL.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I've always liked Jason Jones (Titans/Seahawks). I think he would be a good situational pass rushing DL.

He's more of an an end in a 3-4 though. The Niners need at least one of those kinds of guys, but I wouldn't call that position a situational pass-rushing spot. I was thinking more along the lines of giving Brooks a rest & putting a pass-rusher in at OLB.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's more of an an end in a 3-4 though. The Niners need at least one of those kinds of guys, but I wouldn't call that position a situational pass-rushing spot. I was thinking more along the lines of giving Brooks a rest & putting a pass-rusher in at OLB.

Yeah he'd play DL in passing situations, not OLB. I just brought him up because I don't really know many OLBs out there right now. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Haralson, but not with his current contract.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we all remember how awesome Aldon was last year when he would come off the bench for 3rd downs. Something about bringing in a fresh guy just makes a difference. As others have stated, we could use more depth and rotation for our front seven.

If you look at the Niners' teams from the 80's (plus the 94 team), they always had additional DL for rotations, thus keeping their starters fresh. I really believe that part of the reason why we lost the SB was due to the fact that our DL had no depth. Also, what kind of contract would Seymour get?

I'm wondering, too, about Osi and bringing him for depth issues. Not sure how Cam Johnson will develop, or even develop at all, but anything they can get out of a 7th rounder who truthfully fell in the draft is something.

I was also thinking about how Darius Flemming would be in 3rd down situations considering he ran under the 4.6's in the combine and has the ability of playing in coverage. Obviously, both Willis and Bowman are studs, but having an OLB who can cover, i.e. in the mold of Keena Turner or Lee Woodall, and not having to rely on your ILB's who are more suited on running situations, would do wonders for the squad.

2013 NFL Free Agents: DL

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Also, what kind of contract would Seymour get?

Whatever he wants as long as he plays in a 49er uniform next season!

Ok realistically, I think he's worth a 3-year 30 million dollar contract if he's healthy. About half guaranteed. I may be way off, and I'm not a capologist, but that's what I'd offer him. And I wouldn't expect him to play 3 more years, but that's the kind of contract offer he'd get IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at the Niners' teams from the 80's (plus the 94 team), they always had additional DL for rotations, thus keeping their starters fresh. I really believe that part of the reason why we lost the SB was due to the fact that our DL had no depth. Also, what kind of contract would Seymour get?

I'm wondering, too, about Osi and bringing him for depth issues. Not sure how Cam Johnson will develop, or even develop at all, but anything they can get out of a 7th rounder who truthfully fell in the draft is something.

I was also thinking about how Darius Flemming would be in 3rd down situations considering he ran under the 4.6's in the combine and has the ability of playing in coverage. Obviously, both Willis and Bowman are studs, but having an OLB who can cover, i.e. in the mold of Keena Turner or Lee Woodall, and not having to rely on your ILB's who are more suited on running situations, would do wonders for the squad.

2013 NFL Free Agents: DL

Agree with everything here. I think the D looked tired at the end of the year. And if you think about it, it has been a pretty grinding two years in a row for the D. Need more depth in all levels of the D.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Neither one of 'em led the league in sacks. You may be thinking about Chris Long?

Osi's best days are behind him, but that could mean he doesn't get a lot of attention in FA. And having him come in as a situational pass-rusher would keep him fresh, which is what he needs at his age.

Im in for the 6;8 Russian DE from Smu:)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Im in for the 6;8 Russian DE from Smu:)

So am I, but not in the first round. The Niners are good enough that they can afford to swing for the fences on some high-ceiling prospects IMO. He would be one of those.

However, I'd much rather have Sheldon Richardson as the heir apparent to Justin Smith in a trade up. Can't go wrong with a Mizzu Tiger DL on the Niners!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if we went only by need, also pass rusher would help us the most? but we pick 31st so realistically, we won't get a pass rushing 'beast'? we can trade up to improve our chances, but still low odds. just don't see us able to trade up HIGH?

if a very good prospect isn't there, i'd still consider good value outside of round 1?

if still no 'OLB' on the draft board, then lets not force it. we might then consider strengthening DE?

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Finding a good situational pass rusher for a 34 defense should be easier to find in the mid-rounds then a traditional 43 defense...

With that said, first two picks focus on the secondary then load up on the defensive front in the mid-rounds...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I forgot to mention Sean Spencer. They moved him off the line, bt he can get after the QB. He's one of my other favourite later-round prospects.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with everything here. I think the D looked tired at the end of the year. And if you think about it, it has been a pretty grinding two years in a row for the D. Need more depth in all levels of the D.

I'm all for getting another pass rusher... But I swear the D started "looking tired" after Justin tore his triceps. Why is everyone overlooking how that effected the pass rush?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaun Phillips is a free agent.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Why is everyone overlooking how that effected the pass rush?

They're not. People are overlooking Aldon's shoulder injury, but these are probably good examples of why they should have played fewer snaps last season. The Niners need 1 more good DL & a good DL prospect or 2.