• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sit Rep from Enemy Territory

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have some pretty rabid Pens fans that I interact with every day. A lot of them are serious Ovie haters as well. I expected a rough day today.

In actuality, they all kind of shared my disappointment. They really wanted to see Washington in the playoffs. They also felt that Ovie played his ass off and kind of gained some respect for his effort. None of them were too upset about being able to avoid Jersey and Washington but at the same time, they kind of wanted to see the Pens get a chance at one of the two.

Overall, they really were cool about it. I think that the Caps-Pens rivalry is something that both sides are starting to embrace and respect. It is not the hate rivalry, but the love to hate rivalry.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think the "bad blood" is overblown a bit; we tend to put too much emphasis on the few people (on both sides) that go overboard. Most people are pretty classy about their sports...they'll take a jab hear and there, but it's all in good fun. I imagine it's especially so in Pittsburgh where, let's face it, they've had our number for quite some time.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On one hand, I am happy that the Penguins now have taken over the home ice advantage throughout the rest of the ECF's. The road to the SCF's, now implausibly..... goes through Pittsburgh. Considering they were the 4th best team entering the playoffs, it's pretty incredible how things have broken down in the east through just one round.

On the other hand, last season's Pens v Caps match-up was super exciting, and quite possibly one of the best series I've ever had the opportunity to witness.... that includes some pretty marvelous Mario/Jagr/Barrasso/Stevens playoff memories.

Now that there is no possibility of these two meeting again this season, I have to admit, it's disappointing. As a Pens fan, I have to believe that the momentum that the Penguins took from that seventh game victory over washington in 09 helped propel them to their third Stanley Cup.

You always want to see your team beat the best the competition has to offer. It just wasn't meant to be in 2010. I'm sorry Habs fans, but other than your other-worldy goal-tending, the Caps have the more talented hockey club. Sometimes, though... a hot goalie is the equalizer in a seven game series.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Caps are merely a flea on the ass of a Pens fan. They have owned all the bragging rights of the "rivalry". Yea we swept them in the regular season for the first time ever. That just lost it's sting after last night's elimination.

Be all classy and gentlemanly with the ENEMY if you want. As for me, I just went from rooting against the habs to rooting for them..honesty IS the best policy.

it's okay to hate the Pens.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Caps are merely a flea on the ass of a Pens fan. They have owned all the bragging rights of the "rivalry". Yea we swept them in the regular season for the first time ever. That just lost it's sting after last night's elimination.

Be all classy and gentlemanly with the ENEMY if you want. As for me, I just went from rooting against the habs to rooting for them..honesty IS the best policy.

OF COURSE you should be rooting for the Habs. If they can topple the Pens as well, you'll feel a lot better.

I wasn't torn. I didn't want to face the Caps or the Devils, and I'm glad they both lost. After you win (like last year) it's fine to say, "well I'm glad we beat Philly, Washington and Detroit, it's more fun when the games are exciting..." but while the playoffs are going on, I want all my team's obstacles out of the way or banged up.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, I'm with you, Roolz. I'm definitely rooting for the Habs now. I'm just saying I don't wish death to all things Pittsburgh...at least not a painful one. ;)