• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sidney Rice Resigned?????????

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s been a good week for receiver Sidney Rice.

On Monday, he received clearance to return to football activities from Dr. James Andrews. On Wednesday, he agreed to terms to return to the team that cut him earlier this year, the Seattle Seahawks.

Rice broke the news himself on Twitter. Per a league source, it’s a one-year deal. We’re told the deal pays more than the veteran minimum, but the specific amount isn’t currently known.

The move comes less than three years after Rice signed a long-term deal that was due to pay him $8.5 million this year. He’ll undoubtedly make much less than that.

The Seahawks had remained interested in bringing back Rice. News of a visit to the Jets may have been the nudge that the Seahawks needed to close the deal.

The Giants, Saints, and Panthers all had some interest in Rice.

He appeared in 33 games during three seasons with the Seahawks, with 748 receiving yards in 2012. Last year, he tore an ACL in late October.

Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks | ProFootballTalk

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we should definitely still draft a WR Pete is just adding depth to our WR corps he is going to have to play for a spot on this team come training camp and preseason. If he isnt productive from his surgery than he will be cut before the season starts

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious about something. I know that analysis stated that the dead money cap hit by cutting Rice this year was going to be minimal which is why there wasn't anything really holding back the Seahawks from releasing him with one year left on his deal.

By resigning him to a 1 year deal and he's still on the Seahawks, does any dead money still occur against him now for the previous contract?

Yes, the dead money is tied to the signing bonus from his last contract, and has nothing to do with this one. I believe the Hawks had the same situation with Ricardo Lockette last year (where he had his current salary and dead money from a previous contract as well against the salary cap). It really isn't uncommon with players who are cut then re-sign with the same team.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like this signing. Not only is he someone with a lot of familiarity with Wilson, but he's been extremely clutch for the Hawks, even if his numbers aren't what was hoped for. The growth of Baldwin and Kearse this last season, and the addition of Harvin to the lineup, should help him face fewer double teams (before his injury teams seemed to roll coverage to his side, especially on late game do or die situations). Great "show me" signing, this should be good for the Hawks. Always compete.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to hear that the Seahawks are bringing him back on a 1 year deal. He was too expensive to retain at his prior salary, but on a 1 year "prove it" deal he adds depth as well as a player with extensive experience in our offense.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious about something. I know that analysis stated that the dead money cap hit by cutting Rice this year was going to be minimal which is why there wasn't anything really holding back the Seahawks from releasing him with one year left on his deal.

By resigning him to a 1 year deal and he's still on the Seahawks, does any dead money still occur against him now for the previous contract?

From what I've read so far, it looks like he'll be making more than the veteran minimum, but I haven't read how much more. It's also possible, given his history, that the contract will contain incentives pertaining to the number of games or snaps played. The team would be protected if he gets hurt again and if he manages to stay healthy, he'd be able to get back some of the money he lost when he was cut.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this deal a lot. Rice is capable and its only a one year deal. He is already up to speed with the play book too. With Harvin pulling away some coverage he could have a great year.

Last edited by a moderator:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too like the signing as well. As long as both Harvin and Rice can stay healthy, this passing game shouldn't miss a beat from last year. I think PC/JS will now look at O-line with the first pick and then go WR or CB with the second pick.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice when out there is a good receiver no question…. Definitely gives Russ and outside big man threat… I"m happy they nabbed him again….

nflspense

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JS always makes a few movies before the draft to help solidify things, and give depth to some areas. I think this is a great move, and it'll be interesting how they use him. His length really saved us on some 3rd downs in the past, and I think it'll be easier to keep him healthy with a good dose of Kearse/Draft getting snaps on 1st and 2nd. He really won't need to play a whole lot, unless they like the matchups. We never got to see the Percy effect for Sid, and how coverage would treat him, should be fun.