• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SI: ESPN hires Jerry Rice as an analyst

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jerry Rice hired by ESPN as NFL analyst - Richard Deitsch - SI.com

Consider me a big time skeptic whether or not he'll be good as an analyst. Right now I'd lean towards no for the most part, but maybe he'll surprise me? The Audibles show is set up in a way where I think he might be able to handle it, but I'm skeptical about him in a SportsCenter and NFL Live role.

The one thing that has always made me laugh about Rice since he left is that he seems like he'll do almost anything for a buck OR almost anything to get his face back out there. This is different because it's actually sports, but alot of the things he's done lately have made me shake my head.

On another note, without some major improvement, I don't see Hugh Douglas lasting. Right now he's incapable of going against and/or criticizing his former teams, coaches and teammates.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Interesting article, Rice brings a little bit of a resume to the job. I had no idea he had these irons in the fire.

The Hall of Famer's sports media experience includes co-hosting Sports Sunday on NBC Bay Area after 49ers games last season. He has served as an analyst for BBC Television's coverage of the NFL and co-hosted an afternoon show on Sirius NFL Radio.

However, with him joining Steve Young that is a whole lotta ego for the other analysts to contend with. I hope it works out.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What no mention of him doing "analysis" on dancing With The Stars? lol

Anybody who wants to know what this means, go to youtube and type in "Jerry Rice, Kenny Mayne, DanceCenter" and you'll be able to watch a bunch of videos. And if you do, it's like I said, he seems like he's willing to do way too much for a buck.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for it. I'm tired of seeing so many of the Cowboys faces out there. It will be good to see someone I don't want to slap every time they talk.

This is a bit off subject.... but does anybody else really hate when they all go to that mini football field and show us how things are done?? Like how to throw a screen pass, or stunt on the defensive line. I don't know why that has always bothered me.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for it. I'm tired of seeing so many of the Cowboys faces out there. It will be good to see someone I don't want to slap every time they talk.

This is a bit off subject.... but does anybody else really hate when they all go to that mini football field and show us how things are done?? Like how to throw a screen pass, or stunt on the defensive line. I don't know why that has always bothered me.

I hate it more when they do the Madden simulation version....irks the shit out of me. I'm buyin' the damn game every year, don't shove it down my throat!

You may now return to you're regularly scheduled thread.

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get him Jerry. hehe
Now come, and show our recievers how its done.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine Rice trying to train Crabtree. :lol:

Yeah Jerry I see what your saying about work ethic, but your shoes don't match your socks. Its so distracting.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Jerry I see what your saying about work ethic, but your shoes don't match your socks. Its so distracting.

Actually...Jerry was VERY particular about his appearance, especially on game day. But it was funny to read. ;)

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh God. As good of a football player Rice was, he's that bad as an analyst.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ESPN should use the axis technology and what not and have him look at how WRs did the pre route change, if any, the route, the catch, the run after.

He was a part of literally 10,000 pass plays.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ESPN should use the axis technology and what not and have him look at how WRs did the pre route change, if any, the route, the catch, the run after.

He was a part of literally 10,000 pass plays.

Rice's knowledge is vast on both sides of the LOS. I hope he breaks down everything you mention here plus coverages as well.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bill Parcells, Jerry Rice joining ESPN for 2011 NFL season - ESPN

Not bad. Seeing Parcells in this role before, this is probably my least favorite role for him, except for the specials he's done on the draft, but Parcells is in my all-time top three or five favorite people who've been associated with football.

Parcells is on my short list as well. ESPN may not be assembling a dream team for the camera, but they are certainly acquiring some of the deepest knowledge of the game.