• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SI Column on Kaepernick

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And while Kaepernick has flaws, I don't think that those flaws are necessarily innate flaws, if you know what I mean. In other words, his missing open receivers who aren't his first reads, that sort of thing, I think can and will improve as he develops as a pro qb. Let's remember that he wasn't running a pro style offense in Nevada and developing a quarterback used to take some time. His fantastic physical skills and arm maybe put him on the stage early and carried him to success, but the other tools for a qb still are developing. IF that's true -- then watch out -- Jaws is right, he could develop into a completely exceptional quarterback.

But as good as his long range future is, this next game he has to develop quickly.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And while Kaepernick has flaws, I don't think that those flaws are necessarily innate flaws, if you know what I mean. In other words, his missing open receivers who aren't his first reads, that sort of thing, I think can and will improve as he develops as a pro qb. Let's remember that he wasn't running a pro style offense in Nevada and developing a quarterback used to take some time. His fantastic physical skills and arm maybe put him on the stage early and carried him to success, but the other tools for a qb still are developing. IF that's true -- then watch out -- Jaws is right, he could develop into a completely exceptional quarterback.

But as good as his long range future is, this next game he has to develop quickly.

I agree. I thought I made that point, but after rereading my journal entry I realize I didn't type those words.

Here's a blast from the past: :llama:

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I thought I made that point, but after rereading my journal entry I realize I didn't type those words.

Here's a blast from the past: :llama:

I have to stop posting, RV pointed out how OBVIOUS I was, and you implied the very point I said so I should have left well enough alone. Everyone should forgive me, living in Seattle this week is unbearable and I don't have enough Laphroiag on hand to drink and drown out all the Seahawk bullshit that I'm being subjected to.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly overboard on the criticism. My initial reaction was that its almost an insult to compare him to Vick considering their respective resumes, but on second thought it would have been interesting if Vick had coaches/system/teammates of the caliber Kap enjoys.

Vick has had pretty good talent around him in Philly.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Kaepernick: San Francisco 49ers quarterback of the future? | The MMQB with Peter King

Had some interesting coaches film shots of him not seeing open receivers. I don't know whether that's something that most quarterbacks have (there's usually an open receiver), but it cements my opinion that we don't win unless Kaepernick not only plays well but ups his game from the previous two playoff games. I think Gore will have limited success up there, and their defense is quick enough to catch up to Kaep if he tries to run, he will have to make the right read and be able to see when people do get open even if it's not his primary target coming out of the huddle. The article makes it sound like he has a ways to go in that department.

What is interesting is this writer talks about Steve Young and doesn't seem to remember him earlier in his career. Young had a similar problem. He wouldn't go through his progressions and would take off running too early. I read once that he used to drive Bill Walsh crazy that way. Walsh talked about how messed up Young was coming from Tampa Bay. Kapernick can still get better in this area

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to stop posting, RV pointed out how OBVIOUS I was, and you implied the very point I said so I should have left well enough alone. Everyone should forgive me, living in Seattle this week is unbearable and I don't have enough Laphroiag on hand to drink and drown out all the Seahawk bullshit that I'm being subjected to.

Anybody who drinks Laphroaig needn't apologize for anything. Which one? I've got a bottle of Small Cask in the house right now.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is interesting is this writer talks about Steve Young and doesn't seem to remember him earlier in his career. Young had a similar problem. He wouldn't go through his progressions and would take off running too early. I read once that he used to drive Bill Walsh crazy that way. Walsh talked about how messed up Young was coming from Tampa Bay. Kapernick can still get better in this area

I don't like this comparison. I think Kaep can and will improve as a passer, but you're talking about one of the top three most accurate QB's in the history of the game. I don't think Kaep has that kind of ceiling.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like this comparison. I think Kaep can and will improve as a passer, but you're talking about one of the top three most accurate QB's in the history of the game. I don't think Kaep has that kind of ceiling.

I didn't say Kaep is going to become Steve Young. The article was talking about how Kap doesn't go through his progressions and takes to running too much. I was only pointing out Steve Young was the same way. Dont forget Steve Young at the time was not loved by a good number of 49er fans. There were people saying he would never win a super bowl and some that wanted Steve Bono to start over him.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Young and that it took him a while to turn into a HOF quarterback. I can't remember whether he was always an accurate passer however from the get go.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Young and that it took him a while to turn into a HOF quarterback. I can't remember whether he was always an accurate passer however from the get go.

I just looked. In his prime he was a low 70's, high 60's passer. He had some shit years, to be sure. Of course, his Tampa years should be thrown out. That team was an abyss. Still, his prime wasn't under the ridiculous rules that govern passing in today's league. Defenses could actually touch QB's and WR's in those days.

Honestly, I'd love to see Montana and Young if they played under today's rules. I've often said Montana would have a dozen rings and 100,000 passing yards. I don't know that this is much of an exaggeration.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Against the average, Young is the top 1 most accurate passer in the history of the game. Highest YPA & passer rating against the average too.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against the average, Young is the top 1 most accurate passer in the history of the game. Highest YPA & passer rating against the average too.

Wait a second. Favre, the interception machine had a better lifetime percentage than Young. Hang on a tick...

My bad. No he didn't. Read those backwards.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome. Great stuff. Lagavulin 16 is good, too. Oban 14 is almost magical.

And now I'm officially the board alcoholic.:noidea:

That's been official for awhile. Don't know where you've been. We had elections and you were selected unanimously.

I was voted the longest poster and most likely to have Alex Smith's autograph (seriously, the other suggestions were tasteless, rude, and mostly untrue).

MW49ers and Bemular were voted the most likely to reincarnate, uncertain as to which username or another. Bemulars_Ghost?

Deep9er was voted as the most confused because of his tendency to end statements with question marks?

Viper was voted most likely to be Smith's nephew (I lost out by thiiiis much). Incidentally, he won also for most likely to think Smith is better than Kaepernick, but can we really call that winning?

ThreeLittleBirds was voted as most likely to slash the Packers' bus tires and moon them. Unclear whether that's mooning the Packers or the tires. He'd be an automatic suspect if anything should happen to Aaron Rodgers.

Most informative went to ChrisPozz. Most offended went to Bingo (no offense!). Most irritating benign racist troll... well, I won't say.

Most Controversial SportsHoopla GM went to NinerSickness for his constant trades of the Niners best (but declining). He and WartyOne share for their politics and humor.

Moderator who is most tired of me... he knows who he is.

Last edited by a moderator:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way I'm a hater and I have no idea about the 2-3 clips comment and neither does anyone else unless they've watched the coaches film for all the teams, and no one does that around here. As for one of the top QBs in the league, I'd say he's in the top 10 with the potential to move up --- and he has amazing physical gifts, is a relentless worker, and is smart and is getting better, but it's not hate to point out he has some flaws -- flaws that I think he is getting better at addressing but are still there.

I not saying you are a hater. The guy that wrote the article. Every QB has flaws. Even Payton and Brady. There is a reason why Payton has a losing playoff record.

Every QB misses targets every week. Kap is no different. I have Kap in Top 5 but understand if some put him no lower then 8. There are arguments for others. Im ok with that.
1. Payton
2. Brady
3. Rogers
4. Brees
5. Kap.