• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the committee take into consideration location of semi-final?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please don't act ignorant. The argument presented was that the 4 team playoff should be reserved for conference champions or undefeated Notre Dame. Basically you have to run the table or win your conference in order to be eligible. If a team, regardless of conference, produces a poor winning percentages or plays nobody, they are unlikely to be selected or considered for the playoffs.

It's pure strawman to use Wisconsin in 2012 as a counterpoint.

Make up your mind.

3. Cuts down on the gray area. College football has too many great teams within the top 16 for us to pick an at-large opponent. Putting emphasis on conference champions, means we look at the big 5 conference champions and undefeated minor conference champions and Independents.

Which is it?

And do you know what a strawman argument is? I don't think you understand that phrase, as I didn't build up anything, I merely pointed out your huge criteria was shit with an actual example - not a made up example I built up to beat down, which is what that phrase means.

Sorry it's crap. Take the 4 best teams. If conference champions are truly among the best teams and the ones who deserve to go, then they shouldn't have an issue with that. But, if they aren't, as is the case with 2012 Wisconsin, then they won't. Which is EXACTLY what you sit here and do once the obvious flaw with your conference champion is pointed out.

Personally I think you are just being pussies and want conference champions because you don't want to end up having to play 2 SEC or 2 Pac12 teams.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take the 4 best teams. If conference champions are truly among the best teams and the ones who deserve to go, then they shouldn't have an issue with that. But, if they aren't, as is the case with 2012 Wisconsin, then they won't. Which is EXACTLY what you sit here and do once the obvious flaw with your conference champion is pointed out.

Personally I think you are just being pussies and want conference champions because you don't want to end up having to play 2 SEC or 2 Pac12 teams.

Wisconsin in 2012 lost 5 games. They would have NEVER been considered over Notre Dame, Alabama, Kansas State, and Stanford. Never. Florida State and NIU would get more consideration. Pointing to Wisconsin in 2012 is rather weak of you.

Please stop using the word "best team" without any proper definition. All what you're doing is throwing out an opinion term aka subjective term. We want a more objective system.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin in 2012 lost 5 games. They would have NEVER been considered over Notre Dame, Alabama, Kansas State, and Stanford. Never. Florida State and NIU would get more consideration. Pointing to Wisconsin in 2012 is rather weak of you.

Please stop using the word "best team" without any proper definition. All what you're doing is throwing out an opinion term aka subjective term. We want a more objective system.

I'm putting Wisconsin in there only because they were conference champions. That is your standard, not mine.

And as for best team, I've already said it before and I said it again. The BCS rankings we have already. Please show me where a team not in the top4 teams deserved a shot at the National Championship. Since that hasn't happened, obviously it's the best teams.

What's funny is you tell me I can't define best teams, but yet you seem to think you can when you decide among the conference champions? Like when you kick Wisconsin out.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record, 8-5 Wisconsin in 2012 would have been a much better pick than NIU. That you would even give NIU consideration for a playoff spot shows that your proposed system is a joke. There are easily 20 teams more qualified while not being "conference champions" including atleast 5 SEC teams, 4 Pac12 teams, 4 Big10 teams and 4 Big12 teams.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm putting Wisconsin in there only because they were conference champions. That is your standard, not mine.

And I said 4 conference champions, not all conference champions. Obviously not all conference champions would make the cut for winning% or SOS reasons.

Yes, I don't want to see 2 SEC teams or Pac-12 teams. Quite frankly, I don't want to see 2 Big-12 teams or 2 ACC teams or 2 AAC teams as well.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I said 4 conference champions, not all conference champions. Obviously not all conference champions would make the cut for winning% or SOS reasons.

Yes, I don't want to see 2 SEC teams or Pac-12 teams. Quite frankly, I don't want to see 2 Big-12 teams or 2 ACC teams or 2 AAC teams as well.

So how do you pick the 4 best conference champions since you keep telling me I can't pick the 4 best teams?

:whistle:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing how you can guess what most Alabama fans' perspectives on a college football debate will be before you even hear it. :pound:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing how you can guess what most Alabama fans' perspectives on a college football debate will be before you even hear it. :pound:

I guess we're even because I know what you'd be posting about before I opened this thread. :yahoo:

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4down, I'm just curious on your opinion since you looked at the schedule.

If Notre Dame is a 1 loss team this year, given how brutal that schedule looks to be, and we only have 2 or less undefeated teams at the end. Does ND get in the playoff?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Notre Dame is a 1 loss team this year, given how brutal that schedule looks to be, and we only have 2 or less undefeated teams at the end. Does ND get in the playoff?

No. Alabama gets the title with no MNC game and the bear rises from the grave to jerk Nicky boy off at midfield after the Awbarn game. No questions asked....just like the good old days. All of Alabama sings "sweet home Alabama" from their fold out lawn chairs while their sisters give them dry tuggers and the state's national education rank goes from 49th to 48th.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right now I have you as #2 SoS overall(Arkansas has #1).

If that SoS holds up and if you win all but 1, then yes easily. You'd be the #3 team.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be four best teams period. The conference champ only argument is BS. So what happens if the following scenario happens 1 year?
SEC championship:
Alabama 12-0 loses to South Carolina 9-3

Big 10 championship:
Ohio State 12-0 loses to Nebraska 8-4

Pac 12 championship:
Oregon 12-0 loses to UCLA 8-4

ACC championship:
FSU 12-0 loses to Miami 7-5

Big 12 champ ends up being 10-2 Oklahoma
Notre Dame finishes 8-4

So would you rather see a playoff that year consisting of:
10-2 Oklahoma
10-3 South Carolina
9-4 Nebraska
9-4 UCLA

Or would you rather see:
12-1 Alabama
12-1 Oregon
12-1 Ohio State
12-1 FSU

all of whom would have been out national title consideration based on 1 game where they got upset,basically devaluing their whole regular season and reward teams for winning 1 damn game just because it was the conference championship game

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much did conference championships matter to you in 2001? :noidea:

Nebraska didn't belong in the championship game in 2001. We then promptly went out and proved that we didn't belong by getting our shit pushed in by a much better Miami team.

Some people are completely blind homers.

It should be four best teams period. The conference champ only argument is BS. So what happens if the following scenario happens 1 year?
SEC championship:

Big 10 championship:

Pac 12 championship:

ACC championship:

Notre Dame finishes 8-4

10-2 Oklahoma
10-3 South Carolina
9-4 Nebraska
9-4 UCLA

Or would you rather see:
12-1 Alabama
12-1 Oregon
12-1 Ohio State
12-1 FSU

all of whom would have been out national title consideration based on 1 game where they got upset,basically devaluing their whole regular season and reward teams for winning 1 damn game just because it was the conference championship game

Well, since we are in fantasy land and bringing up hypotheticals that have never come close to happening and have about a .001% chance of ever happening, then I would select the following teams for a 4 team playoff:

12-1 Ball State: They beat Big 10 Champ Nebraska 3-0 in OT
14-0 Hawaii: They beat Pac 12 champ UCLA
11-2 La-Monroe: Handled USCe 42-3 on their home field
13-1 UCF: Pounded the Canes 63-0 in a neutral site game played in Baghdad

Ball State then goes on to win the National Championship after Ball State alum and horrific journalist Jason Whitlock is granted a single game of eligibility to play in the championship game. Whitlock then goes out and scores the winning TD for Ball State on a perfectly executed fumblerooskie on the last play of the game as the Cardinals pull the upset over 15-0 and #1 ranked Hawaii 36-35. Whitlock then posts an article the next day touting that racists slurs from Hawaii players spurred him on to making the heroic last play score.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC championship:

Big 10 championship:

Pac 12 championship:

ACC championship:

Notre Dame finishes 8-4

10-2 Oklahoma
10-3 South Carolina
9-4 Nebraska
9-4 UCLA

Or would you rather see:
12-1 Alabama
12-1 Oregon
12-1 Ohio State
12-1 FSU

Best team is a subjective term, if not defined ahead of time. You can't throw away the word "best" without any proper context.

The example you presented is a far-fetched example, and has never happened before. Historically speaking, we have primarily seen examples (over 90% of the time) of at least 4 conference champions ranked in the top 8 and with no more than 2 losses.

If we did conference champions only in 2013, it would have been Florida State vs. Stanford, and Auburn vs. Michigan State. What's so wrong with that scenario? In 2010, it would have been Auburn vs. Wisconsin, and Oregon vs. TCU. In 2008, it would have been Oklahoma vs. Penn State, and Florida vs. USC.

But lets look at your "nightmare scenario."

What is the SOS numbers and quality of victories? Did the 1-loss team play mostly nobody and the 3-4 loss teams load up on heavy competition. It is gravely unfair to look primarily at the win-loss columns. In fact, I would rather put in teams which challenged themselves than a team which took the easy road. Purely looking at wins and loss records is deceptive.

What does the AAC, MWC, Sun Belt, and MAC results conferences look like?

Other than being unrealistic, your example doesn't provide any analysis of how the other conferences performed or how their SOS numbers or quality of victories. And if the system agreed to conference champions, then they would have to pick 4 conference champions out of the list.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska didn't belong in the championship game in 2001. We then promptly went out and proved that we didn't belong by getting our shit pushed in by a much better Miami team.

Some people are completely blind homers.

Well, since we are in fantasy land and bringing up hypotheticals that have never come close to happening and have about a .001% chance of ever happening, then I would select the following teams for a 4 team playoff:

12-1 Ball State: They beat Big 10 Champ Nebraska 3-0 in OT
14-0 Hawaii: They beat Pac 12 champ UCLA
11-2 La-Monroe: Handled USCe 42-3 on their home field
13-1 UCF: Pounded the Canes 63-0 in a neutral site game played in Baghdad

Ball State then goes on to win the National Championship after Ball State alum and horrific journalist Jason Whitlock is granted a single game of eligibility to play in the championship game. Whitlock then goes out and scores the winning TD for Ball State on a perfectly executed fumblerooskie on the last play of the game as the Cardinals pull the upset over 15-0 and #1 ranked Hawaii 36-35. Whitlock then posts an article the next day touting that racists slurs from Hawaii players spurred him on to making the heroic last play score.
Why you gotta bring the canes defense into this? :sad:

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some people are completely blind homers

You say now they didnt belong because Miami beat the fuck outta yall. But back then u were probably screaming louder than anyone that they were one of the two best teams and deserved to play.