• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sheldon Richardson

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets reportedly called Cowboys about Sheldon Richardson
Posted by Mike Florio on November 1, 2016, 2:11 PM EDT
619294852-e1478023866157.jpg
Getty Images
With Muhammad Wilkerson signed to a long-term deal and Leonard Williams early in his rookie contract, Sheldon Richardson has become an expendable member of the Jets defensive front seven. He’s sufficiently expendable to prompt the Jets to contact potential trade partners about him.

Via Todd Archer of ESPN.com, the Jets called the Cowboys about a trade for Richardson. Archer says the deal is unlikely because the Jets want too much.

If, as it appears, the Cowboys leaked the information about the talks, they could be trying to force the Jets to soften their position by creating a sense of inevitability. With some teams, that would never work; the Patriots, for example, make it clear that if news of trade talks emerges, the plug will be permanently pulled.

It would be foolish to rule out a trade at this point, primarily because the Jets under G.M. Mike Maccagnan have shown a penchant for consummation while the clock is striking 12. If the Cowboys wait until the last minute, the Jets will drop to their bottom line, and perhaps a deal will get done.

It’s also possible that the Cowboys have no desire to trade for Richardson, but that they’re putting the word out on a potential deal in order to generate phone calls from other teams looking to move defensive players at the deadline.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe offer multiple 2nd round picks? we throw those away anyway

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys Reportedly Made An Offer To Jets For DL Sheldon Richardson Before Deadline
Nate Bouda 2 hours ago Cowboys, Jets 0 Comments

Jason Cole of B/R reports that the Cowboys did, in fact, make an offer to the Jets for DL Sheldon Richardson before Tuesday’s trade deadline. However, Cole says their offer was obviously not considered acceptable by the Jets.

Yesterday, Todd Archer of ESPN reported that the Jets had contacted a number of teams about a potential deal involving Richardson including the Cowboys.

Other reports said that the Jets “actively shopping” him before the deadline but New York ultimately elected to hold onto Richardson after it was clear that their asking price wouldn’t be met. This sets up an interesting situation between the Jets and Richardson next year.

The Jets elected to lock up Muhammad Wilkerson a few months ago and have former first-round pick Leonard Williams, so they could face a tough situation when it comes to locking up Richardson up.

Richardson, 25, is a former first-round pick of the Jets back in 2013. He’s currently in the fourth year of his four-year, $10.054 million rookie contract and stands to make a base salary of $1.776 million for the 2016 season.

The Jets elected to pick up Richardson’s fifth-year option a few months ago, which means he’s under team control through the 2017 season and will make a bases salary of $8.069 million.

In 2016, Richardson has appeared in six games and recorded 28 tackles, 1.5 sacks, and a fumble recovery for the Jets. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 12 edge defender out of 102 qualifying players.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Cole of B/R reports that the Cowboys did, in fact, make an offer to the Jets for DL Sheldon Richardson before Tuesday’s trade deadline. However, Cole says their offer was obviously not considered acceptable by the Jets.
I'm good with this. Shame on us if we didn't at least inquire about a player that would be a great fit here and help us come playoff time, but also shame on us if we backed up the brinks truck to the Jets for him and acted like one player automatically makes us something significantly more than we were. Kick tires, analyze cost versus benefit, move on...I'm good.:suds:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with this. Shame on us if we didn't at least inquire about a player that would be a great fit here and help us come playoff time, but also shame on us if we backed up the brinks truck to the Jets for him and acted like one player automatically makes us something significantly more than we were. Kick tires, analyze cost versus benefit, move on...I'm good.:suds:

Exactly! Make a reasonable offer, if they don't take it, you don't overpay just to do so

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy, but I love what we are getting out of the Collins , Thorton duo. We need a pass rusher. who's out there who can help us and we can afford.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy, but I love what we are getting out of the Collins , Thorton duo. We need a pass rusher. who's out there who can help us and we can afford.
Trade deadline passed. At this point I would say no one, unless they are released. Other than injury replacements I'd say our roster is set for the rest of the year.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade deadline passed. At this point I would say no one, unless they are released. Other than injury replacements I'd say our roster is set for the rest of the year.
Joe Hayden would have been a nice add.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Hayden would have been a nice add.

Considering both Carr and Claiborne are FAs at seasons end I think, that was surprising a little. Browns are funny. They have some pieces no doubt, but they could have had a lot more if they traded the Joes. I was impressed with Kessler. They are probably better with McCown but the Kessler looks like the future.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets Requested First-Round Pick From Cowboys For DL Sheldon Richardson Before Deadline
Jonathan Comeaux 2 days ago Cowboys, Jets 0 Comments

Kimberley A. Martin of Newsday reports that the Jets were “more than willing” to trade DL Sheldon Richardson ahead of the deadline, but their asking price of a first-round pick within the next two years was too steep of an asking price.

It was reported earlier this week that the Cowboys, in fact, made an offer to New York ahead of the trade deadline, but it was obviously not what the Jets were looking for.

Other reports said that the Jets “actively shopping” him before the deadline but New York ultimately elected to hold onto Richardson after it was clear that their asking price wouldn’t be met. This sets up an interesting situation between the Jets and Richardson next year

The Broncos, Redskins, Cowboys, Eagles, Seahawks and Cardinals were other teams that the Jets spoke with regarding a possible trade of Richardson.

Richardson, 25, is a former first-round pick of the Jets back in 2013. He’s currently in the fourth year of his four-year, $10.054 million rookie contract and stands to make a base salary of $1.776 million for the 2016 season.

The Jets elected to pick up Richardson’s fifth-year option a few months ago, which means he’s under team control through the 2017 season and will make a bases salary of $8.069 million.

In 2016, Richardson has appeared in eight games and recorded 35 tackles, 1.5 sacks, and a fumble recovery for the Jets. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 26 edge defender out of 110 qualifying players.