• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shefter saying RG3 will not play in preseason

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a distinction between being cleared for practice and being cleared to play in games? I haven't heard of one. Of course shanny may have his own clearance criteria to play in games.

to the best of my knowledge he was cleared for practice . i dont think he was cleared for games yet . :noidea:

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week one we should lean on Morris and our running game any way. So no need to throw him out there for some rookie trying to prove he was worth the pick to take a cheap shot and take him out again. timing with WRs will come. If he plays more than a series or two the entire preseason I will be shocked. August is the Kirk Cousins show... period.
this. run all over the eagles. we dont even need rg3 to play in that game and we could still win. (not saying to do that). other general managers will keep an eye on kirk this pre season so we gotta make sure he does good. its totally unnecessary to have rg3 taking hits in the pre season.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I do. Game speed is completely different than practice speed. Everything is magnified when live ammo is coming at ya....

Correct. However - preseason play & regular season play are dramatically different. You guys are way overstating this - it is really not that big of a deal. Heck - even if this somewhat affected RG3's performance in the opener I would not worry much about it - I am much more concerned about his overall health & his long term performance. I really believe he will be fine regardless.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge mistake. RG3 should take a few snaps each game. They should be quick and in rhythm or just straight hand offs.

I will be at the preseason opener in Nashville & pray that RG3 is in street clothes (or not there). Absolutely no reason for him to play in that game.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. However - preseason play & regular season play are dramatically different. You guys are way overstating this - it is really not that big of a deal. Heck - even if this somewhat affected RG3's performance in the opener I would not worry much about it - I am much more concerned about his overall health & his long term performance. I really believe he will be fine regardless.

i would , a loss to the eagles with an ineffective untested RG3 could put us in a 0-2 hole with 2 conference losses ( a tie breaker )

i dont think his long term health or performance is in danger if he plays in the preseason some . if he isnt 100% dont play him simple

the last thing i will add is i believe Rg3 wont injure his knee again . if he gets hurt next season it will be a shoulder or something

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is premature for Schefter to say that. I assume this was staright from Redskins Camp?

I understand the team being really cautious after the debacle in the postseason last year, but...

Shanahan should take a wait and see approach, see how he practices, he will be evaluated often by team doctors, and go from there. If he is able to play some in the last pre-season game, I think he needs that. Going in cold versus Philadelphia is not best case scenario.

Another thing no one is really factoring into this is Cousins. If he plays really well in the pre season, do they start him in the first game and give RG3 as much time as possible to get back to 110%?? All while boosting Cousins trade value...

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would , a loss to the eagles with an ineffective untested RG3 could put us in a 0-2 hole with 2 conference losses ( a tie breaker )

i dont think his long term health or performance is in danger if he plays in the preseason some . if he isnt 100% dont play him simple

the last thing i will add is i believe Rg3 wont injure his knee again . if he gets hurt next season it will be a shoulder or something

Who said anything about them losing the 1st game. Even if RG3 has problems in the Eagles games that does not necessarily equate to a loss to the Eagles. Some folks here I believe are really overrating the Eagles at this point. They have a new coach & a new system. Generally - that takes time to become effective - it doesn't happen overnight. Therefore - even with a less than stellar QB they could still win that game (& you cannot simply assume that they will lose the Packers game the following week - it is likely but not a given).

Also - BTW - do you recall what happened last season? They won the division in spite of a bad start so the season does not hinge on the first month or so. Anyhow - I don't think this will be a problem. I truly believe that RG3 can do well starting in game 1 even without preseason play. In any case - I am sure that we all have the same goal in mind.

HTTR

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is premature for Schefter to say that. I assume this was staright from Redskins Camp?

I understand the team being really cautious after the debacle in the postseason last year, but...

Shanahan should take a wait and see approach, see how he practices, he will be evaluated often by team doctors, and go from there. If he is able to play some in the last pre-season game, I think he needs that. Going in cold versus Philadelphia is not best case scenario.

Another thing no one is really factoring into this is Cousins. If he plays really well in the pre season, do they start him in the first game and give RG3 as much time as possible to get back to 110%?? All while boosting Cousins trade value...

At this point in time it doesn't matter what Schefter said. RG3 said this himself during yesterday's press conference. Barring the unexpected he will not play during the preseason. He also believes that he should be fine entering the regular season with this approach & I believe that he is correct.

As for your second point - barring an injury setback for RG3 - no way do they start Cousins during the regular season opener! This will just open a can of worms & possibly cause RG3 to revert to old form & do things that he should not (I believe that he rushed things a bit last season since he was not too happy when Cousins played against the Browns). Why would you think that RG3 needs more time when he appears to be 100% right now?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my take. If they are not playing him, he's not yet 100%. He is structurally cleared, but but there is the leg strength and the mental aspect of trusting it he has yet to get back. So they need to give him a couple more weeks of hard, but relatively risk free, workouts to get to 100%. They also want to see if it swells up after running and cutting on it for 3 hours a day, 6 days a week. I still say he plays in preseason at some point, if just for a few series.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my take. If they are not playing him, he's not yet 100%. He is structurally cleared, but but there is the leg strength and the mental aspect of trusting it he has yet to get back. So they need to give him a couple more weeks of hard, but relatively risk free, workouts to get to 100%. They also want to see if it swells up after running and cutting on it for 3 hours a day, 6 days a week. I still say he plays in preseason at some point, if just for a few series.

Perhaps. I am not worried about it one way or the other. If he doesn't play in the preseason then the coaches will believe they made the right choice & I will take their judgement over anyone on this forum or in the media.

I really can't wait for the actual season to start since I am kind of getting sick of the overexposure of RG3 & all of the second opinions from the talking heads. This whole topic will be forgotten soon enough.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is kindof what I was thinking.

skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll be surprised to see him pre-season in pads.