• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shark listen to this

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Gregory compares to Dion Jordan. Tall and lanky. Fowler can play every position at LB. How can you not like that? Teams will try to trade up to get Fowler not Sherff. what does that tell you?

nothing

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM not desperate to make the pick. I do think he is the best pick we can make at five.

And i think we lose value in trading the pick and taking lesser talents even if we get more of them. But then you already know Im a quality over quantity kind of guy. So that shouldnt surprise you. Do it right the first time and you wont have to keep doing it. We have tried doing it the old, well we can find any fat guy to stick in there in the 7th round and hope for the best. Its time to invest some prime picks into the O-line.

Then you're not a McCloughan guy. He's the quantity over quality personnel man, and that's doubly important where you've got a team like ours that is rebuilding. The reason why he employs that philosophy is that the more picks you give him, the more chances at hits he'll make. Of all the holes we have to fill, you'd blow it on a guard and leave others holes unfilled. While this isn't the sell-your-farm RGIII trade in 2021

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM not desperate to make the pick. I do think he is the best pick we can make at five.

And i think we lose value in trading the pick and taking lesser talents even if we get more of them. But then you already know Im a quality over quantity kind of guy. So that shouldnt surprise you. Do it right the first time and you wont have to keep doing it. We have tried doing it the old, well we can find any fat guy to stick in there in the 7th round and hope for the best. Its time to invest some prime picks into the O-line.

Then you're not a McCloughan guy. He's the quantity over quality personnel man, and that's doubly important where you've got a team like ours that is rebuilding. The reason why he employs that philosophy is that the more picks you give him, the more chances at hits he'll make. Of all the holes we have to fill, you'd blow it on a guard and leave others holes unfilled. While this isn't the sell-your-farm RGIII trade in 2012, putting all your eggs in the Scherff basket is a very foolish thing to do.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what value did the raiders lose out on because i damn sure there wasnt a trade offer on the table ? they picked gallery , rated as one of the best at his position , and the pundits ex GMS were freaking wrong

and this debate isnt over until we say it is . did we quit when the germans bombed pearl harbor ? NOOOOOO

Let's assume there was no trade. How much value do you think they lost when drafting Gallery over Rivers or Big Ben?

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but I just have to laugh at this post. This is why the pros laugh at message board posters. The draft is 100% about maxing value.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. And value isn't something sought just by GMs. It's something important to every person in America that's not independently wealthy.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you're not a McCloughan guy. He's the quantity over quality personnel man, and that's doubly important where you've got a team like ours that is rebuilding. The reason why he employs that philosophy is that the more picks you give him, the more chances at hits he'll make. Of all the holes we have to fill, you'd blow it on a guard and leave others holes unfilled. While this isn't the sell-your-farm RGIII trade in 2021

So the only way to be a McCloughan guy is to try and devalue players by saying they are a lower position on the pecking order than they are. And hope like hell we can trade and do the shotgun approach?? Good Gms take the picks they have and make Smart picks with them first and foremost, and trading down is an option when offered a deal they cant refuse. Fuck if you give Vinny enough picks he will eventually get a few players right. Again you keep saying Sherff is a guard, and we cant take a guard at #5 in order to devalue the player. Well its strange that he has been slowly creeping up boards since this debate started. I wonder, if he is generally considered a 5-9 pick player will you still be praying for the trade down and shotgun approach?? My guess is yes.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. And value isn't something sought just by GMs. It's something important to every person in America that's not independently wealthy.

Sure value is important to every american. How ever, maxing value is not all about how much shit you can throw at the wall and see what sticks. And basically thats your draft approach... well if wee get enough picks, we are bound to find SOMEONE who can play.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the only way to be a McCloughan guy is to try and devalue players by saying they are a lower position on the pecking order than they are. And hope like hell we can trade and do the shotgun approach?? Good Gms take the picks they have and make Smart picks with them first and foremost, and trading down is an option when offered a deal they cant refuse. Fuck if you give Vinny enough picks he will eventually get a few players right. Again you keep saying Sherff is a guard, and we cant take a guard at #5 in order to devalue the player. Well its strange that he has been slowly creeping up boards since this debate started. I wonder, if he is generally considered a 5-9 pick player will you still be praying for the trade down and shotgun approach?? My guess is yes.

Shark, when a team is rebuilding, it's always been conventional wisdom to trade down and get more picks to fill more holes. That's what the Rams did with our picks. Remember that? They not only got our king's ransom, they parlayed those into more picks. And, again, with a draft guru like McCloughan, why the hell wouldn't you give him the chance to hit on more picks?

And I love how people cite to players moving up a draft board. I can show you how Scherff is moving down some boards too. The key is the quality of the evaluator. Those that are personnel guys have him around #10 or so. And that's generally where standout interior linemen will rank.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure value is important to every american. How ever, maxing value is not all about how much shit you can throw at the wall and see what sticks. And basically thats your draft approach... well if wee get enough picks, we are bound to find SOMEONE who can play.

Ummmm, that's no my draft approach. It's called conventional wisdom for rebuilding teams. But I guess Scot and I are about this throwing the stuff up on the wall, right?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmm, that's no my draft approach. It's called conventional wisdom for rebuilding teams. But I guess Scot and I are about this throwing the stuff up on the wall, right?

Apparently you are. Conventional Wisdom says if you have a pick, and a player you deem is worthy of the pick is there, you take the player unless some one makes you an offer you cant refuse. In your desperation, if the fifth pick came up, I have no doubt you would fuck around and trade away form Scherff for an extra fourth rounder simply to say.. well I had more picks.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, it's like this. You're a struggling middle class family and someone comes around and give you a Ferrari. What do you do with it? If you're the guy that wants to take Scherff, you keep the Ferrari. If you're like a Scot McCloughan, you sell the Ferrari, buy your family a mid-sized Ford and Toyota sedans, maybe make a few home improvements, save for your kids college and put the rest in savings.

What some don't get here is that keeping the fifth pick is really the "sexy" pick here. Not saying that that's always wrong, but if you do, you can at least rest assured that the rest of the families on Main St. will marvel at your sick ride while your family still struggles.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently you are. Conventional Wisdom says if you have a pick, and a player you deem is worthy of the pick is there, you take the player unless some one makes you an offer you cant refuse. In your desperation, if the fifth pick came up, I have no doubt you would fuck around and trade away form Scherff for an extra fourth rounder simply to say.. well I had more picks.

Not me, man. Scot McCloughan. He'd deal it away, get more picks, and do his best to hit on all of them. But apparently you've got one up on Scotty. Submit your resume to Ashburn and advise Scotty he's got holes in his draft strategy.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh so now he is a Farrari all of a sudden.. three days ago you had him as being a Civic with four bald tires and a blown head gasket. Strange how your desperation for more picks has gone from he isnt worth the pick, to well we just need more picks no matter what.

And do me a favor, on draft day I say we all Skype, because if he doesnt trade the pick and does in fact select Scherff, I want to see the look on you and Deans faces combined.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh so now he is a Farrari all of a sudden.. three days ago you had him as being a Civic with four bald tires and a blown head gasket. Strange how your desperation for more picks has gone from he isnt worth the pick, to well we just need more picks no matter what.

And do me a favor, on draft day I say we all Skype, because if he doesnt trade the pick and does in fact select Scherff, I want to see the look on you and Deans faces combined.

No, the value of the pick is a Ferrari, not necessarily the player himself. This is a dichotomy I've been referring to ad nauseum. And there's no inconsistency in my position. I've always maintained that Scherff isn't worth the pick. That's a reference to the player. I've also argued that because the pick is valued so high, we can parlay that pick into more picks.

Like I've said before, even if some legit NFL personnel guys rate Scherff at #5, we still need to trade down. But I'll leave that up to Scot.

And let me ask you this: if Scot trades out of the pick, will you agree with that move? I will be happy with whatever move he makes. If he takes Scherff with the fifth pick, then I'll happily assume he was worth it there.

Let's do the Skype thing. I'll put on my Whoopi mask and make you happy.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on his actual drafts, I dont think he trades the pick. He leaves the shot gun approach for where it belongs, later rounds.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on his actual drafts, I dont think he trades the pick. He leaves the shot gun approach for where it belongs, later rounds.

If he does, I'm fine with that. If he trades down and gives up on Scherff, will you be fine with that?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he does, I'm fine with that. If he trades down and gives up on Scherff, will you be fine with that?

I wont have a choice. But based on what he has done in the past, I feel safe in saying we will be drafting a player at five. The question is which one.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wont have a choice. But based on what he has done in the past, I feel safe in saying we will be drafting a player at five. The question is which one.

You have a choice to say BS to what he does. With that in mind, will you do it if he passes up on Scherff either by taking someone like Fowler or trading out of the pick?

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just because we trade down doesn't mean he gives up on Scherff just means we got a shit ton of problems and need more picks to try and fill those holes

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because we trade down doesn't mean he gives up on Scherff just means we got a shit ton of problems and need more picks to try and fill those holes

That's been my point all along. We can trade down and still get Scherff and use the other picks to address other holes. Welcome to the club, m'man!