• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: SF Giants @ NY Mets (8/1-4)

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to try and make it out there this weekend (probably Sunday). Haven't been to Citi yet this season and they're playing well now so why not?

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to try and make it out there this weekend (probably Sunday). Haven't been to Citi yet this season and they're playing well now so why not?

If you do go, sunday is a nice matchup (colon v. mad bum)... bring us home a win.

:suds:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOT to take three games. SF is reeling, we've been better at home this year, Duda is on fire and the pitching has been hot.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping for 3 of 4....but knowing how quickly this team can disappear and falter just when you start to believe...and how well the giants seem to always play us....a 2-2 split would be awesome...anything less than that would be very disappointing....and could be disastrous.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a huge Metropolitans fan this weekend. Went to probably a dozen games at Shea when I lived in the Heights back in the days of John Franco and Doc. Was at the game when Todd Hundley and Gary Sheffield duked it out at the plate.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEW YORK --8/1-- The lineups for the Mets' 7:10 p.m. series opener Friday against the San Francisco Giants.

i

Curtis Granderson, rf
Daniel Murphy, 2b
David Wright, 3b
Lucas Duda, 1b
Chris Young, lf
Travis d'Arnaud, c
Juan Lagares, cf
Ruben Tejada, ss
Jonathon Niese, lhp

i

Hunter Pence, rf
Matt Duffy, 2b
Buster Posey, c
Pablo Sandoval, 3b
Michael Morse, 1b
Juan Perez, lf
Gregor Blanco, cf
Brandon Crawford, ss
Ryan Vogelsong, rhp

(Duffy makes his major league debut for the Giants)

* I really don't know why CY is getting all these starts & AB's...especially against RH pitching....is EYjr on the outs or in TC's doghouse :wtf2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assholes are still hitless thru 3....not sure if or when they'll decide to show up. They look flat and tired. Giants are playing as if they're the home team and the Mets are the one's w/ jetlag. YIKES!!

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...this game is over.
Grandy works a nice lead off walk in the 4th(mets lone base runner so far) to put Vogie in the stretch for the 1st time, but Murphy comes up hacking at the 1st pitch and GIDP.....

:gaah::L

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way to dig a hole for the team early on, Nee-see. No one to blame but yourself.

Sandy better order a case of smelling salts for this offense too. WTF was that???
Just 2 fucking hits????... sure 1 was a HR ....(with the bases empty) sigh.

Please, TC..... no more CY or Abreu.
My goodness...clue the fuck up already, dammit!!!!

Don't become the very definition of insanity :
(doing the same thing over + over again ad nauseum and expecting a different result)

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunate our rebuild is a year behind because the NL is seeminig pretty light this year. Can't tlet this turn into another losing streak, have to find a way to win today.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIRST PITCH: Jacob deGrom bids to win his fifth straight start when he opposes San Francisco Giants right-hander Jake Peavy on Saturday at 7:10 p.m.

• deGrom, the reigning National League co-Player of the Week, has a 0.66 ERA over his past four starts. Peavy (1-10, 4.71 ERA) makes his second appearance for San Francisco since being acquired from the Boston Red Sox last weekend.

• The Mets (52-57) enter the game trailing the first-place Washington Nationals by seven games and now trailing the Pittsburgh Pirates by six games for the second wild-card spot.

• Lucas Duda hit a solo HR in the 8th inning on friday night accounting for the Mets' lone run in a 5-1 loss to SF, becoming the 12th first baseman in franchise history to reach the 20-homer plateau. He joined: Carlos Delgado (three times), John Olerud (twice), John Milner (twice), Dave Kingman (twice), Donn Clendenon, Eddie Murray, Rico Brogna, Todd Zeile, Mo Vaughn, Mike Piazza and Ike Davis.
(Duda drove in a run for the seventh straight game, matching David Wright for the longest such streak this season)

Matt Harvey threw 15 pitches off a mound Friday for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery on Oct. 22, 2013. Harvey suggested his goal is to pitch for the Mets in the postseason, although that obviously is a long shot for a couple of reasons.
Sandy Alderson indicated Harvey is likely to pitch in the low-intensity fall instructional league in Florida that spans late September and early October and then potentially make one appearance in the Arizona Fall League before shutting things down for the winter.

From the bloggers …Faith and Fear in Flushing figures the Mets and Giants played so quickly Friday because they feared Sharknado's return to Citi Field.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEW YORK -- Terry Collins suggested he has no insight into whether David Wright's left-shoulder issue is hampering the captain’s performance at the plate. Still, the manager said Saturday afternoon, he is “concerned” about Wright's level of production.

David Wright

#5 3B
New York Mets

2014 STATS

• GM 102
  • HR 8
  • RBI 52
  • R 43
  • OBP .331
  • AVG .270

Wright is hitless in his last nine at-bats and 2-for-22 over his last six games. His average has dipped to .270 with eight homers and 52 RBIs in 407 at-bats. He actually has averaged only 17 homers a season from 2011 through 2013, but the power has further dipped this year.

“I’m concerned with the fact he’s not hitting,” Collins said. “I’m not sure about the physical side. Like anything else, before he got hurt he was slumping a little bit, too. I don’t know if he’s trying to drive the ball, but his swing has gotten just a little long. I know that he was in the cage yesterday, he was in the cage earlier today trying to shorten it up. Hopefully it pays off, because when he was slumping before, they fix it fast. Those guys, when they come out of it, they get hot.”

Wright missed a week late in the first half with a bruised left rotator cuff. Even after returning, he received a cortisone shot entering the All-Star break to try to further alleviate the issue.

“I know he gets treatment on it,” Collins said. “Now is it still bothering him? I really haven’t talked to him about it. I know that he had the shot before the All-Star break. And I saw him in San Diego [to open the second half] and he said he felt great. I haven’t really got into it much. There’s no telling. It could be bothering him a little bit. Again, I haven’t discussed it with him.”

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEW YORK -- Matt den Dekker's .329 batting average with Triple-A Las Vegas ranks second in the Pacific Coast League, trailing leader Andy Marte of Reno by one point.

And Terry Collins said Saturday there has been “a lot of talk” about bringing den Dekker back to the majors.

Matt den Dekker

#6 CF
Las Vegas (AAA)

2014 STATS

• GM 87
  • HR 7
  • RBI 44
  • R 67
  • OBP .399
  • AVG .329

Of course, if that were to happen before rosters expand on Sept. 1, it might very well require subtracting an outfielder, presumably Bobby Abreu or Chris Young. (A team official told ESPNNewYork.com on Thursday that the Mets likely would first put those players through the waiver process and see if any interest existed.)

“He’s been hitting the ball good,” Collins said about den Dekker, who was demoted June 18. “The one thing about Matt, as well all know, he’s done it at every level he’s been to. The second year he goes to a level, he swings great. The one thing we’ve got to do is keep the contact consistent.”

Den Dekker has 62 strikeouts in 316 PCL at-bats this season -- actually a modest rate by his standards.

He has 36 Ks in 103 career major league at-bats. Last year with Vegas he had 46 Ks in 179 at-bats.

“In the past he’s had a tendency to strike out,” Collins said. “Power hitters, as you know, strike out. I don’t know what kind of power hitter Matt’s going to end up being. We know he’s got power. The one thing we’ve always told him to do is, ‘Listen, you’ve got to put the ball in play better. And when you do, you know, those numbers add up here.’

“When he’s been up and down, it’s always hard, because they don’t get consistent at-bats. But the strikeout has been a big holdback as far as how much playing time he’s going to get here. So we’re hoping that when he comes back, and there’s been a lot of talk about bringing him back -- when I don’t know -- but hopefully it’s going to be a chance to be in there every day.”