• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sen. John "get off my lawn" McCain is sponsoring a Bill that would Ban NFL Blackouts

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it's a good idea, if tax payer money is used to build the stadiums then the fans should be able to view their team's home games.

excerpt~

NFL blackouts nearing extinction?

For decades, the NFL has blacked out loval television broadcasts when the home team has failed to sell out within 72 hours of kickoff. Senator John McCain believes that "if the taxpayers paid for [the stadium] then, by God, I think the taxpayers ought to be able to see the game whether they sell out the stadium or not." He has included banning blackouts in a larger bill called the "Television Consumer Freedom Act," according to Brian Murphy of the Pioneer Press.

Not surprisingly, the NFL and national TV networks oppose getting rid of the blackouts, but U.S. Rep. Brian Higgins, who represents Buffalo and western New York, thinks blackouts soon will be a thing of the past.

"In three or four years, there will not be blackouts in the NFL," Higgins said.
NFL Rumors Blog - ESPN

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a legitimate point. I don't think taxpayer money should fund stadiums at all though.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a legitimate point. I don't think taxpayer money should fund stadiums at all though.

With some current deals, the taxpayer money is to be paid back to the local gov't with interest, though that probably never happens.

That is what is supposed to happen with the new "Atlanta Superdome" (similar to what they have at Jerry's World) that is still in the planning stages.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter to me. I don't think that's a role government should play.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter to me. I don't think that's a role government should play.

I do, otherwise a monopoly corporations, like the NFL, keep taking advantage of the little guy like us too often. I agree with him 100%. If the taxpayer is paying for the stadium, then the team should allow the people paying fo rtheir stadium the chance to watch it. Some of those taxes are just high enough, forced upon the ocal tax payer, that the lower income tax payers can no longer afford to go to a game. So now they have to be punished twice, paying for a tax they didn't want, and then not getting to see the home team when they have trouble putting fans in the stands. If a team is winning, the fans come in droves. It is the crappy franchises like Cincinnati's, and its fans, that needs this relief

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant paying for the stadium. In my mind taxpayer money should not go towards a stadium under any circumstances, short of using it for public schools and having full ownership.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from a marketing standpoint, if you want heighten the interest in the team, put a home game you are likely to win on television at the last moment and you should be able to garner some interest. you'd be surprised how many people just assume the Bengals are the worst joke in the NFL even after they've won their last 3 games and are fighting for a playoff spot.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from a marketing standpoint, if you want heighten the interest in the team, put a home game you are likely to win on television at the last moment and you should be able to garner some interest. you'd be surprised how many people just assume the Bengals are the worst joke in the NFL even after they've won their last 3 games and are fighting for a playoff spot.

I wouldn't assume the Bengals "should" beat anyone. The last 20+ years have taught us that lesson.

cravnravn

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
I meant paying for the stadium. In my mind taxpayer money should not go towards a stadium under any circumstances, short of using it for public schools and having full ownership.

You are way too late for that argument, most new stadiums today are built with taxpayers dollars through lotteries and what not.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't assume the Bengals "should" beat anyone. The last 20+ years have taught us that lesson.

yea, remember when they decided the best QB they had was scott covington?

those were the days, they've lost so many fans over stupidity.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much money does a city/county stand to make by building a new stadium? In most cases, the amount of revenue that could be generated for the city/county and local businesses far exceeds the amount of tax dollars that are spent. The problem is that city/county planners simply don't invest the money correctly. Case in point --- Look at the Banks project. It took them 10 years to figure out that 3 overpriced bars and some generic food would be popular after Reds games? They are just now making money on something that has been a gold mine fore years and years.