• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

seems like easy money

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how are we favored?. No reason to think bengs can win this game. what a mess. might as well make some $

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.... I think if Lou makes the necessary corrections for the D, we will be in good shape. The Browns and Ravens were both significantly better running teams and they both controlled parts of the game by running the football. We also don't have to worry about the QB being mobile so we can jumpstart the pass rush a little. If the D doesn't step up in this game with the team's backs against the wall and issues with their offense and leader, I'll officially start panicking about their regression. But, I see this as a huge week for them and I think they come up big.

Could be an ugly game, but I think the Bengals can win it without Burrow.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.... I think if Lou makes the necessary corrections for the D, we will be in good shape. The Browns and Ravens were both significantly better running teams and they both controlled parts of the game by running the football. We also don't have to worry about the QB being mobile so we can jumpstart the pass rush a little. If the D doesn't step up in this game with the team's backs against the wall and issues with their offense and leader, I'll officially start panicking about their regression. But, I see this as a huge week for them and I think they come up big.

Could be an ugly game, but I think the Bengals can win it without Burrow.
To be fair - I don't think the defense has really too bad. When you consider the offense has gone 3-out nearly 50% of the time...then factor in the field position battle that they are faced with....yeah, they've give up some plays and given up some points, but there's no doubt that these guy have got to be exhausted through 2 weeks.

I don't see this changing unless the offense can start to get a few more 1st downs, and of course...putting more points on the board sooner. Getting both the Browns and Ravens to play keep up or catch up with this offense, and against this defense, would go a long way, IMO.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
should be illuminating. still if I had mad money....

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the defense can't be responsible when the offense goes 3 and out repeatedly.

I think part of next years draft policy needs to include drafting an aj mac type backup, maybe 3rd or 4th rounder. a long term insurance policy of sorts. browning may be that guy, but we haven't seen it yet on the pro level

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but yea, to your original point, we are the least effective team in the NFL right now. we aren't playing like ourselves, and we aren't playing like a playoff team. maybe some adjustments and shakeups will happen, we will see.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the defense can't be responsible when the offense goes 3 and out repeatedly.

I think part of next years draft policy needs to include drafting an aj mac type backup, maybe 3rd or 4th rounder. a long term insurance policy of sorts. browning may be that guy, but we haven't seen it yet on the pro level

great minds think alike I guess:

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
free betting tips from jbuck.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
free betting tips from jbuck.

apparently, when we get out of our division, our defense is pretty good and our RBs can run and our WRs can get open. it's good to know, now that we've seen it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently, when we get out of our division, our defense is pretty good and our RBs can run and our WRs can get open. it's good to know, now that we've seen it.
Defense has been good in the division. It's a lot easier on a defense when the offense isn't going 3-out on 50% of their drives, and is at least getting some points up on the board.

By the 2nd half of each of the first 2 games, that defense was likely worn down/out. Sure, there are things they needed to do better (and still do) but that defense kept them in the game.

Score after 3 qtrs in the 1st game: 13-3.
Score after 3 qtrs in the 2nd game: 19-17.

Probably could have done a bit better in the 2nd game, but Baltimore is running a new offense and that takes time to get plays on tape and be able to counter them. I'd suspect the defense will do better the 2nd time around.

Offensively - it really helps when they start utilizing the middle of the field in the passing game. I saw more attempts over the middle this past game in one half than I had all season. Burrow is limited, and that is going to hinder the offense to a degree...but you can't take away 1/3 of the field and then scratch your head wondering why the offense isn't doing well.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watched the ravens game some sunday after the washington pathetic showing i switched games early.ravens looked bad,they had nothing for minshew.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense has been good in the division. It's a lot easier on a defense when the offense isn't going 3-out on 50% of their drives, and is at least getting some points up on the board.

By the 2nd half of each of the first 2 games, that defense was likely worn down/out. Sure, there are things they needed to do better (and still do) but that defense kept them in the game.

Score after 3 qtrs in the 1st game: 13-3.
Score after 3 qtrs in the 2nd game: 19-17.

Probably could have done a bit better in the 2nd game, but Baltimore is running a new offense and that takes time to get plays on tape and be able to counter them. I'd suspect the defense will do better the 2nd time around.

Offensively - it really helps when they start utilizing the middle of the field in the passing game. I saw more attempts over the middle this past game in one half than I had all season. Burrow is limited, and that is going to hinder the offense to a degree...but you can't take away 1/3 of the field and then scratch your head wondering why the offense isn't doing well.
I was listening to Bill Simmons podcast this morning and he was talking to Mike Lombardi. Lombardi was talking about Mike McDaniel and the Dolphins offense and how they scheme their receivers open. Like us, most teams are freaked out by the big play potential of their receivers, so they see a lot of cover 2. Using motion, McDaniel makes the defense defend the entire width of the field.... It basically stretches them out completely. They can do this with a lot of wide zone runs, jet sweeps, fakes, etc. The idea is that the defense gets spread out and the middle of the field becomes open with big passing lanes and a very effective passer (Tua) for quick throws to the middle of the field.

Now, contrast that with our offense which is basically Joe Burrow in the shotgun with Mixon on one side of him (or maybe behind). All runs look the exact same and they all come as part of the RPO framework. No pressure at all toward the boundaries and everyone packed into the middle. So, we end up throwing flare passes and sideline throws to receivers. The reason the middle of the field opened up against LA was that they were moving Chase around and putting pressure across the field. Imagine what a creative guy could do with our offense!

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to Bill Simmons podcast this morning and he was talking to Mike Lombardi. Lombardi was talking about Mike McDaniel and the Dolphins offense and how they scheme their receivers open. Like us, most teams are freaked out by the big play potential of their receivers, so they see a lot of cover 2. Using motion, McDaniel makes the defense defend the entire width of the field.... It basically stretches them out completely. They can do this with a lot of wide zone runs, jet sweeps, fakes, etc. The idea is that the defense gets spread out and the middle of the field becomes open with big passing lanes and a very effective passer (Tua) for quick throws to the middle of the field.

Now, contrast that with our offense which is basically Joe Burrow in the shotgun with Mixon on one side of him (or maybe behind). All runs look the exact same and they all come as part of the RPO framework. No pressure at all toward the boundaries and everyone packed into the middle. So, we end up throwing flare passes and sideline throws to receivers. The reason the middle of the field opened up against LA was that they were moving Chase around and putting pressure across the field. Imagine what a creative guy could do with our offense!
Been saying this since last year...imagine what the offense would like like if they did the things they do in Miami to create space. The first two games of the year saw zero targets for chase over the middle. This past game saw 4. I'd still like to see a few more, but I also realize you don't want him killed. Overall, I felt like the offense targeted the middle more this past game than the first 2 weeks combined - so that is a good thing. It needs to continue.

Everyone is focused on the lack of deep passing, but teams are playing a ton of cover 2 and bubble coverage. The only way to get them out of that is to start attacking the middle and moving guys around to prevent those schemes from being as affective...running Chase in motion, lining him up on the same side as Higgins, etc....

I swear, at times, I feel like Taylor's offense is like Tecmo Bowl or Tecmo Super Bowl where you get 4 or 8 play calls, and that's about it. There is so little diversity between plays, and so much of the same plays run from the same sets that it really hampers the offense.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been saying this since last year...imagine what the offense would like like if they did the things they do in Miami to create space. The first two games of the year saw zero targets for chase over the middle. This past game saw 4. I'd still like to see a few more, but I also realize you don't want him killed. Overall, I felt like the offense targeted the middle more this past game than the first 2 weeks combined - so that is a good thing. It needs to continue.

Everyone is focused on the lack of deep passing, but teams are playing a ton of cover 2 and bubble coverage. The only way to get them out of that is to start attacking the middle and moving guys around to prevent those schemes from being as affective...running Chase in motion, lining him up on the same side as Higgins, etc....

I swear, at times, I feel like Taylor's offense is like Tecmo Bowl or Tecmo Super Bowl where you get 4 or 8 play calls, and that's about it. There is so little diversity between plays, and so much of the same plays run from the same sets that it really hampers the offense.

I thought we were pretty much just running the LSU offense for awhile.

haha

yea, coaching wise, we need to get out of our own way