• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks release Mike Williams

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's ashame. He should have been a TE. He would have been a very good one.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
don't know if he would or wouldn't be a good TE, but seems to me we too easily stereotype players by their measurables? we know he can catch like a TE, but can he do the other things like run shorter TE routes (find the open spots quickly), run block, and pass block?

[and i do mean WE]

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Williams > Fred Davis or any TEs who came out of this year's draft class. He would have been a Jimmy Graham type like TE in a spread offense. Not a very good in line blocking (descent) but a superb talent when matched against safeties and linebackers.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
don't know if he would or wouldn't be a good TE, but seems to me we too easily stereotype players by their measurables? we know he can catch like a TE, but can he do the other things like run shorter TE routes (find the open spots quickly), run block, and pass block?

[and i do mean WE]

What?? That's not a challenge at all. Of course he would have learned it just like Jimmy Graham, Niles Paul, Delanie Walker, etc.

Run Block might have been a weakness but we never know. Bottom line is he would have been a threat and a matchup nightmare for defenses had he changed position from the onset.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Williams > Fred Davis or any TEs who came out of this year's draft class. He would have been a Jimmy Graham type like TE in a spread offense. Not a very good in line blocking (descent) but a superb talent and matched against safeties and linebackers.

yeah, so if you isolate it to just receiving..............but a TE does more than this?

if we start a pure pass catching TE, is this much better than starting a pure run blocking TE? obviously, we want someone between, so how 'between' would Mike Williams be?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah, so if you isolate it to just receiving..............but a TE does more than this?

if we start a pure pass catching TE, is this much better than starting a pure run blocking TE? obviously, we want someone between, so how 'between' would Mike Williams be?

Every team wants a Vernon Davis / Pettigrew / Gronkowski type like TEs; you know the ones that perform both task exceptionally well (receiving and blocking). But the reality is, you don't need an elite blocker nowadays...just an average or above average in line blocker would suffice. I think Mike Williams would have been a good enough blocker. Again, you put him in an offense catered to his strength (that's what smart coordinators would do) like how the Colts plan to do with Coby Fleener then my friend, you have yourself a tremendous weapon in your hands. He blocks good enough...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A few thoughts. First, man, that was a pretty short comeback. It looked for a year there like he was going to catch on and resurrect his career. That face-planted.

Re: the discussion of him at TE, I'm not advocating for it or against it. However, I think it's worth pointing out that Walker was a pretty awful blocker (for a TE) just a few years ago, and now it is something of a strength. He's not great going head-to-head with a DE, but he's very effective on the move. It's entirely possible Williams can improve in that area.

In today's NFL, blocking is secondary - at best - for most TEs. If you've got a great receiving TE, I would say about 65% of the teams out there, and maybe more, couldn't give a shit what his blocking looks like.

Finally, I kind of hate to say it, but does he bear consideration, at least while our roster is in the 80s? He would be our tallest receiver at any position, and Walker and Moss are both FAs next year. Obviously if the Hawks cut him it's not a good sign, but I'd kill for some more height at WR and TE.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A few thoughts. First, man, that was a pretty short comeback. It looked for a year there like he was going to catch on and resurrect his career. That face-planted.

Re: the discussion of him at TE, I'm not advocating for it or against it. However, I think it's worth pointing out that Walker was a pretty awful blocker (for a TE) just a few years ago, and now it is something of a strength. He's not great going head-to-head with a DE, but he's very effective on the move. It's entirely possible Williams can improve in that area.

In today's NFL, blocking is secondary - at best - for most TEs. If you've got a great receiving TE, I would say about 65% of the teams out there, and maybe more, couldn't give a shit what his blocking looks like.

Finally, I kind of hate to say it, but does he bear consideration, at least while our roster is in the 80s? He would be our tallest receiver at any position, and Walker and Moss are both FAs next year. Obviously if the Hawks cut him it's not a good sign, but I'd kill for some more height at WR and TE.

if this is the case, then why call him a TE?

didn't we read a week ago how much Jimmy Graham was split out wide? if we only need a tall receiver to catch passes, fine, but then is he really a TE? or was it Aaron Hernandez?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if this is the case, then why call him a TE?

didn't we read a week ago how much Jimmy Graham was split out wide? if we only need a tall receiver to catch passes, fine, but then is he really a TE? or was it Aaron Hernandez?

The line has been blurred quite a bit between WRs and TEs over the past few years. I don't know that the name is significant at this point. It's more a matter of creating favorable matchups. Jimmy Graham has success outside because a S or even a LB follows him out there. He might struggle to get as open against a CB (though he's awfully tall to be covered by most CBs...). Williams lacks the speed to be primarily an outside-the-numbers WR, but could potentially excel in the middle of the field and occasionally splitting out if he can get a favorable matchup.

I don't personally have a strong feeling one way or the other on Williams, but he's got good height and we may lose a hybrid WR/TE next year. I don't really see a spot for him on this team at this time, but he's the general type of player I'm keeping my eyes out for from the physical standpoint.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The line has been blurred quite a bit between WRs and TEs over the past few years. I don't know that the name is significant at this point. It's more a matter of creating favorable matchups. Jimmy Graham has success outside because a S or even a LB follows him out there. He might struggle to get as open against a CB (though he's awfully tall to be covered by most CBs...). Williams lacks the speed to be primarily an outside-the-numbers WR, but could potentially excel in the middle of the field and occasionally splitting out if he can get a favorable matchup.

I don't personally have a strong feeling one way or the other on Williams, but he's got good height and we may lose a hybrid WR/TE next year. I don't really see a spot for him on this team at this time, but he's the general type of player I'm keeping my eyes out for from the physical standpoint.

ok.

i don't have a strong opinion either, just wanted to "explore" how we like to place players based on height and weight.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My thoughts exactly when I read the headline.

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Uhhh... Doesn't anyone remember that Mike Williams HAS been tried at tight end already. It didn't work.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Every team wants a Vernon Davis / Pettigrew / Gronkowski type like TEs; you know the ones that perform both task exceptionally well (receiving and blocking). But the reality is, you don't need an elite blocker nowadays...just an average or above average in line blocker would suffice. I think Mike Williams would have been a good enough blocker. Again, you put him in an offense catered to his strength (that's what smart coordinators would do) like how the Colts plan to do with Coby Fleener then my friend, you have yourself a tremendous weapon in your hands. He blocks good enough...

I think the problem with your theory is that Mike Williams is inferior to NFL caliber TEs in both receiving AND blocking.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HA for Mike Williams.... a redzone threat if used properly but oh well, I'm not complaining.