• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scout Tales: Aaron Donald

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scout's Tales: Aaron Donald

Donald_MNVikings_14.jpg

There are numerous ways NFL teams acquire players, and the Rams’ scouting staff is always hard at work trying to find the next guy who can help them win. In Scout’s Tales, we’ll visit with members of Les Snead’s personnel department and they’ll share stories of how the process brought certain current Rams to St. Louis.

Area Scout John Zernhelt on School Visits and Seeing Aaron Donald.

I scout the Northeast part of the country, and my area covers Virginia to Maine. Each school that I’m assigned, if they’ve got draftable prospects, I’ll visit them three times. You watch them in summer camp; you watch them later in September and again in October.

When you arrive at a school, you get there early in the morning and you meet with the football operations director. He gives you background information on the kid: the hometown, their family and those types of things. After that, you’ll go to a film room and watch tape for the biggest part of the day. You meet with the strength coach. You meet with an academic advisor that gives you some background on the player’s performance in those areas. You meet with the trainer to see if they have ever been injured, how their rehab habits are. Then you go to practice. You get a feel for their effort in practice, how hard they work and that type of thing.

If they’re a good student and they don’t have any issues academically, there’s no need to dig that much further as far as talking to other people around campus outside of the athletic department.

Zernhelt600.jpg

Our visits are kind of dry. They get scouts in there three or four times a week. It’s like they’re reading the same thing to you every day. Sometimes you’ll have a kid that has an interesting story where they’ve overcome tremendous obstacles to get where they are now. Those things are heartwarming, but the visits are business.

When you get to the schools in the morning, the scouts are supposed to bring donuts or bagels. A lot of the coaches are trying to eat healthier now than they were years ago. I always take the éclair donuts. There’s nothing low calorie about what I’m taking.

I’ve spent the last 10 years as a coach and a scout in the NFL, but prior to that I was a college coach for about 25 years. The relationships I have in the college game are really helpful to me now. That’s the case with Aaron Donald. I’ve known Aaron’s position coach for about 30 years. That was a help. I knew I was getting good information and I knew I could trust him.

With Aaron, he was incredibly productive. He disrupted a ton of plays. He was a great pass rusher and a smart football player. Initially, I wondered how he’d fit with our group because he’s not as tall as our defensive tackles. Michael Brockers is 6-foot-5 and Kendall Langford is 6-foot-6. Aaron is about 6-foot-1. But if his neck were two inches taller, would that make him a better football player? No. He was just a great player and our guys fell in love with his productivity, his intensity and how hard he played. He’s really a driven football player.

The thing that stood out about Aaron when I visited Pittsburgh was his competitiveness and his practice habits. He competed and went as hard as he could. Everything he did, he was full effort. He was a good practice player and a good game player.

Donald_GBPackers_14.jpg

In games, Aaron wasn’t double teamed all the time. You’d think teams would slide protection to him, but they didn’t all the time. They had a good defense. He had his share of 1-on-1 battles, but the important thing was that he won those. Not only would he come free, but his effort was so good that he made sacks, not only off of quickness and freeing himself up, but also by effort and chasing the ball.

Aside from seeing a great football player in Aaron, I love going to Pittsburgh because it’s a great food city. I won’t eat for two days before I get there. It’s notorious for these incredible sandwiches. There’s one place where they call them ‘headwiches’ because they’re as big as your head. You don’t take bites you just gnaw your way through. I can give you directions to places up and down the East coast based on places to eat.

After being a coach for so long, I’ve enjoyed being out on the road. The Northeast is so beautiful in the fall. You’ve got the Hudson Valley in New York and the foliage in New England. Plus, my mom lives in Pennsylvania and I’ve been able to stay with her several times over the last year while I’m traveling, and that’s been special.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The leverage capacity this guy generates is immense. He simply gets under people with power and speed. What a discovery and he'll be an outstanding player for years to come.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The leverage capacity this guy generates is immense. He simply gets under people with power and speed. What a discovery and he'll be an outstanding player for years to come.
Absolutely, he was a steal. The only reason he wasn't a top 5 pick was the BS concern about his height.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea LTRF. BS is right. The kid has some great power and speed. Freaky fast up the middle. Reminds me of Jack Youngblood's speed and power off the edge.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe after the success of John Randle and Aaron Donald teams will understand that you don't need to be six five to play DT in this league.

Boys, We are lucky to see this kind of defensive line play. I was too young to see the fearsome foursome play live, but if it was anything like this, football is at its purist form when that happens. I always been a defensive guy, play DE in high school.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea LTRF. BS is right. The kid has some great power and speed. Freaky fast up the middle. Reminds me of Jack Youngblood's speed and power off the edge.

Call me crazy, but wouldn't being a couple inches shorter actually be an advantage for a strong, skilled d-lineman? You have a naturally lower center of gravity. Most of the taller guys need to learn how to do this and it can take a while(sometimes a whole career). I'd rather have a guy who does it naturally like Donald...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct LTRF. Donald uses his shortness to a Kinesiological advantage. Plus, Donald is a stud in the weight room I hear and you'd expect that being built like a Mack truck with hellcat Hemi under the hood.

Last edited:

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LTRF you're correct. Problem is it's hard to find a guy that's 6'1-6'2 that's close to 300lbs and not a complete slob. Donald is a freak because guys with his size and athleticism don't come around often. I too think we got a steal when we got him in the draft. If teams knew what type of player he was going to be his rookie season there's no doubt he would have went No. 1 overall. Fisher and Snead deserve a standing ovation for that that.

:clap::clap::clap:

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LTRF you're correct. Problem is it's hard to find a guy that's 6'1-6'2 that's close to 300lbs and not a complete slob. Donald is a freak because guys with his size and athleticism don't come around often. I too think we got a steal when we got him in the draft. If teams knew what type of player he was going to be his rookie season there's no doubt he would have went No. 1 overall. Fisher and Snead deserve a standing ovation for that that.

:clap::clap::clap:

Agreed...I find it amazing that with all the highly paid scouts out there from the teams who had a chance to pick him before us, no one else was smart enough to see those freak skills in him. After all, that is their job. The guy won all sorts of awards, including the best D-lineman in college football, but they think he's a couple inches too short so pass him up? Thank god they did!!!

Hell, looking back now, if we had taken him at pick number 2, it would still be a steal for the production we got from him. You're right though, if these teams had a clue to how he would produce last year, he would've gone #1 overall. He's a force to be reckoned with and should be for many years to come...

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed...I find it amazing that with all the highly paid scouts out there from the teams who had a chance to pick him before us, no one else was smart enough to see those freak skills in him. After all, that is their job. The guy won all sorts of awards, including the best D-lineman in college football, but they think he's a couple inches too short so pass him up? Thank god they did!!!

Hell, looking back now, if we had taken him at pick number 2, it would still be a steal for the production we got from him. You'reright though, if these teams had a clue to how he would produce last year, he would've gone #1 overall. He's a force to be reckoned with and should be for many years to come...

That's just it though, you never know! Look in years past, alot of people wanted Dorsey, Curry, and the list goes on, hey even Sam was co-defensive player of the year in the SEC, doesnt that say he was probably pretty good?

We got lucky, yay us, we deserve it!

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just it though, you never know! Look in years past, alot of people wanted Dorsey, Curry, and the list goes on, hey even Sam was co-defensive player of the year in the SEC, doesnt that say he was probably pretty good?

We got lucky, yay us, we deserve it!

Good point!!! You know it's funny, for some reason, in the back of my mind, I kept thinking of Glenn Dorsey as I was typing that lol. I do think M.Sam should be given a legit shot in the NFL and yes I bet he was real good. Its a shame the media circus scares off most teams.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point!!! You know it's funny, for some reason, in the back of my mind, I kept thinking of Glenn Dorsey as I was typing that lol. I do think M.Sam should be given a legit shot in the NFL and yes I bet he was real good. Its a shame the media circus scares off most teams.

I don't know how good he is or isn't, but it seems as though Sam did make some plays in a few of the preseason games. Whether he was beat or out of position on other plays, I don't know, but to win co-defensive player of the year in the SEC shows he does have talent, but as always, does that translate to the next level?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how good he is or isn't, but it seems as though Sam did make some plays in a few of the preseason games. Whether he was beat or out of position on other plays, I don't know, but to win co-defensive player of the year in the SEC shows he does have talent, but as always, does that translate to the next level?

Well that's what I mean, he definitely has some talent. Will it translate to the next level? I personally think he deserves a chance to find out. I also think that you and I know how many teams are afraid of the PR if they give him a chance. Is it a shame? hell yes. Especially since there are already gay players in the NFL, they just aren't out in the open.

Rambulance

MuscleBear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy, but wouldn't being a couple inches shorter actually be an advantage for a strong, skilled d-lineman? You have a naturally lower center of gravity. Most of the taller guys need to learn how to do this and it can take a while(sometimes a whole career). I'd rather have a guy who does it naturally like Donald...

Yes and no. Playing either side of the line in football is all about your hands. If you(offense) can get your hands on the other guy before he(defense) can push your hands away. It's that simple. And short guys usually have short arms. And those guys usually have problems getting off of blocks.