• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scot McGloughan's tenure as GM

SkinFaninATL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have started thinking about Scot McGloughan, as our GM, so far. Honestly, I am not overly impressed. His draftees in 2015 was impressive, highlighted with the picks of Jamison Crowder and Brandon Scherff. The jury's still out on last year's picks, highlighted by the choices of Josh Doctson, Su'a Cravens, and Kendall Fuller. However, many of his FA choices have been absolutely abysmal, thus far. Might I add, most of the Redskins core players are actually Mike Shanahan's players. That includes Kirk Cousins, Ryan Kerrigan, Jordan Reed Chris Thompson and Trent Williams. I believe this is a critical year for him to make sure he makes the right draft choices and FA moves. No more bringing in FA backups, hoping to make them starters. That won't work and has not, thus far. He also must make sure that if he lets some key FA walk i.e. Kirk Cousins, DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, and Vernon Davis, he must replace them with reliable players or this team will go backwards. I must say, if those players are retained and those three 2016 draftees players pan out, along with continued success of the core draft choices made in 2015 continue to have success, he and the Redskins will be alright.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have started thinking about Scot McGloughan, as our GM, so far. Honestly, I am not overly impressed. His draftees in 2015 was impressive, highlighted with the picks of Jamison Crowder and Brandon Scherff. The jury's still out on last year's picks, highlighted by the choices of Josh Doctson, Su'a Cravens, and Kendall Fuller. However, many of his FA choices have been absolutely abysmal, thus far. Might I add, most of the Redskins core players are actually Mike Shanahan's players. That includes Kirk Cousins, Ryan Kerrigan, Jordan Reed Chris Thompson and Trent Williams. I believe this is a critical year for him to make sure he makes the right draft choices and FA moves. No more bringing in FA backups, hoping to make them starters. That won't work and has not, thus far. He also must make sure that if he lets some key FA walk i.e. Kirk Cousins, DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, and Vernon Davis, he must replace them with reliable players or this team will go backwards. I must say, if those players are retained and those three 2016 draftees players pan out, along with continued success of the core draft choices made in 2015 continue to have success, he and the Redskins will be alright.

He passed on the arguable the best back in football David Johnson to trade down and draft Matt Jones. Yes we picked up a extra pick which turned into Kojo but its clear that there are major questions with SM on evaluating RB's. The 2015 draft could have easily turned into L. Williams, Smith, Johnson, and Crowder. I know Scherff made the Pro Bowl but you decide which draft you want now.

Im actually a bigger fan of the 2016 draft b/c we knew that is was very possible that both Wr's would leave b/c of FA. So a WR in the first made sense. We have no safeties so we rolled with Cravens, which makes sense. The Fuller pick was insurance if Breeland left for FA next year. You cant argue with this class if healthy they should all contribute.

Yes FA has been a disaster so far with exception of Norman. He has the most money to spend on FA now so lets see how it goes. I agree this years FA and draft does loom large.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He passed on the arguable the best back in football David Johnson to trade down and draft Matt Jones. Yes we picked up a extra pick which turned into Kojo but its clear that there are major questions with SM on evaluating RB's. The 2015 draft could have easily turned into L. Williams, Smith, Johnson, and Crowder. I know Scherff made the Pro Bowl but you decide which draft you want now.

Im actually a bigger fan of the 2016 draft b/c we knew that is was very possible that both Wr's would leave b/c of FA. So a WR in the first made sense. We have no safeties so we rolled with Cravens, which makes sense. The Fuller pick was insurance if Breeland left for FA next year. You cant argue with this class if healthy they should all contribute.

Yes FA has been a disaster so far with exception of Norman. He has the most money to spend on FA now so lets see how it goes. I agree this years FA and draft does loom large.
i dont think there are any questions at all he missed on a few as all gms do

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last years draft did not look good last year but if Doctson is healthy and what they thought, if Cravens can play a good brand of safety and Fuller has time to grow then it might not be a bad draft at all.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't a rule of thumb exist that says you don't judge a draft until two or three seasons after? If so SM's first draft class is up for scrutiny not this last one.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely Sty. I have said numerous times it was not a productive year 1 for the draft but far too soon to judge whether it was a good draft or not.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still believe in SM and agree it's too early to judge his drafts. But to date they have been nothing special and I have been very vocal about his free agents. I also said repeatedly when he arrived that plenty of smart people have arrived at Redskins Park under Dan Snyder and immediately became stupid. Marty, Gibbs and Shanahan all arrived with borderline Hall of Fame credentials and all 3 failed to get above .500 under this man.

It should be obviously by now that we are not allowed to have nice things.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still believe in SM and agree it's too early to judge his drafts. But to date they have been nothing special and I have been very vocal about his free agents. I also said repeatedly when he arrived that plenty of smart people have arrived at Redskins Park under Dan Snyder and immediately became stupid. Marty, Gibbs and Shanahan all arrived with borderline Hall of Fame credentials and all 3 failed to get above .500 under this man.

It should be obviously by now that we are not allowed to have nice things.

Actually all three of those came in w/ a great resume as coaches - not personnel men. They were all given personnel duties which is a huge mistake IMO. The NFL is too big & complicated in this era to assign those roles to one person (& especially when someone has not had those duties in the past).

Also - all three of those guys did pretty damn well during this time. Marty should have stayed (& was replaced by ugh Spurrier). Gibbs really only left because of his age & the stress & other factors after Taylor's death. I agree that Snyder really screwed up the whole Shanahan situation, but I believe that there was blame to go around on both sides.

These situations just point out the need to have some type of stability at Redskins Park. That is why I believe that it is critical that the team retain Cousins. Otherwise - get ready for this circus to get much worse.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahn had personnel control in Denver for years and they remained competitive long after Elway retired which was really impressive. Gibbs II was a failure, a 30-34 record show us that. Saying he left due to stress or Sean Taylor is kind of a reach, a strong argument can be made that he left after realizing the game had passed him by and/or he could not win here.

I used to believe it was a mistake to give the coach personnel too. But the most successful teams in each conference over the last 5 years, New England and Seattle, have this set up. So obviously it can and does work with the right person. Mike Shanahan proved in Denver that he could do it, but as I said people come here and the results are always worse than their history prior to their arrival at toxic Redskins Park.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahn had personnel control in Denver for years and they remained competitive long after Elway retired which was really impressive. Gibbs II was a failure, a 30-34 record show us that. Saying he left due to stress or Sean Taylor is kind of a reach, a strong argument can be made that he left after realizing the game had passed him by and/or he could not win here.

I used to believe it was a mistake to give the coach personnel too. But the most successful teams in each conference over the last 5 years, New England and Seattle, have this set up. So obviously it can and does work with the right person. Mike Shanahan proved in Denver that he could do it, but as I said people come here and the results are always worse than their history prior to their arrival at toxic Redskins Park.

Not sure about the Pats but no way that Carroll is the primary person making personnel decisions in Seattle. John Schneider is their GM & known as one of the best personnel men in the NFL. As for Gibbs - he made the playoffs in two of his last three years - that is failure? When he left the team was 9-7 & went to the playoffs in spite of their best player being murdered. One contributing factor with Gibbs is that he already had the NASCAR obligations so all of this probably was a huge burden (especially at his age & with all of the stress with the Taylor situation).

You are correct about Shanahan. However - you also may recall that he failure after failure on the defensive side of the ball. This trend continued with the Redskins & continues to this day. Agree to disagree about giving the coaching & personnel duties to one person. It may work for the Pats (although I would guess that Bilichick gets a lot of help) but as always they are the exception & not the rule. The problem becomes when you hire a high profile coach who has no GM type experience & falls short in this area - this has happened throughout the NFL.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins' Gibbs Resigns As Coach

Here is an article printed just after Gibbs retired the second time. I believe that Gibbs case is very unique in comparison to Marty or Shanahan. Gibbs is very beloved by Snyder & I truly believe that Snyder let Gibbs do just about whatever he desired. The thoughts expressed in the article don't sound like Gibbs was irked by Snyder meddling or anything similar. Rather it sounds like an aging coach who wanted to spend more time with his family. This is a familiar take for any of these type of coaches who get itchy & return to coaching & realize midstream that perhaps they should have not returned. I think that someone like Jon Gruden is smart enough to realize this before it occurs & therefore remains at ESPN.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I misspoke with regards to Gibbs not believing he can win under Snyder, I do recall they had a good relationship. And the success/failure of Gibbs II is up for debate. What isn't up for debate is the fact that Gibbs, like Shanahan and before that Marty, had much much better results when they were not working for him. And that was my main point.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I misspoke with regards to Gibbs not believing he can win under Snyder, I do recall they had a good relationship. And the success/failure of Gibbs II is up for debate. What isn't up for debate is the fact that Gibbs, like Shanahan and before that Marty, had much much better results when they were not working for him. And that was my main point.

Agree but you also have to acknowledge the presence during Gibbs I of Beathard. Anyone old enough to recall may remember that both of them were very close to being fired early in their careers but fortunately the Redskins didn't make any drastic moves at that time.

I believe that this is also true now. I realize that the results may not be great, but they are not that bad, and the Redskins need to resist the urge to fire the GM, coach, etc & also need to highly consider this approach in regards to maintaining stability at the QB position.

You mentioned the Pats & Seahawks & stability is a huge factor in those organizations. I realize that they have more talent & there are no guarantees, but this idea of constantly looking for perfection & making numerous changes to achieve it is just very flawed IMO.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stability only comes with winning on a consistent basis. It's easy for the Steelers to be stable, not so much for teams like Jacksonville or Washington. I believe 9-7 and 9-6-1 after decades of losing represents enough to maintain stability. But back to back 4-12 seasons and all bets are off.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stability only comes with winning on a consistent basis. It's easy for the Steelers to be stable, not so much for teams like Jacksonville or Washington. I believe 9-7 and 9-6-1 after decades of losing represents enough to maintain stability. But back to back 4-12 seasons and all bets are off.

Agree on that (although you need a year or two to generally get there). What I have an issue with is people bitching about the most current season, labeling it a failure & then ready to perform all types of kneejerk reactions to try to turn things around. This has been the Skins problem in the past so it is amusing to see some folks advocate this type of approach.

Sure - you get rid of certain things that are a problem. However - you also show some patience especially with younger players who sometimes need time to develop. Ditto with coaches and the GM. You don't keep them 5+ years if they don't accomplish much, but you also don't show them the door at the first signs of trouble. Overall this team has done about as much as expected in the past few years (given where they were 2-3 years ago). Time to give this just a little more time & see if this can take off (yes with Snyder - he is the one person who will remain constant & there is nothing that we can go about it).

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly So Cal, we tend to see things the same way. This is the nature of fans. I spend a lot of time on a Maryland Basketball message board and the entitlement of some of the fans over there is amazing. It is as if Maryland is Kentucky and a second place finish in the Big Ten is beneath them. Some are calling it a dead program and they want the coach fired after going 28-7;28-9 and 22-7 since joining the BIG

At least the posters here are smarter than that.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly So Cal, we tend to see things the same way. This is the nature of fans. I spend a lot of time on a Maryland Basketball message board and the entitlement of some of the fans over there is amazing. It is as if Maryland is Kentucky and a second place finish in the Big Ten is beneath them. Some are calling it a dead program and they want the coach fired after going 28-7;28-9 and 22-7 since joining the BIG

Yep I hear you & as a lifelong Terps fan also agree on that one. Also too bad that Diamond Stone took perhaps the worst advice ever & didn't return to MD.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oddly those posters .... that ranks right up there with any three consecutive years Left or Gary had for wins. :tj:

Also oddly enough, the first time the Redskins have had back to back winning seasons in about 20 years. As I remember you have to learn to walk before you learn to run. :fencing: