• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney for Breach of Contract Over Black Widow Release

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the contract states that the movie will get an exclusive theatrical release, and it doesn’t get an exclusive theatrical release, seems kinda open and shut to me. Understandably, do to conditions outside Disney’s control, an exclusive theatrical release was not possible. Therefore, they needed to negotiate an addendum with SJ.

EOD, this is just a contract dispute.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully she can act because Winter Soldier is still the best MCU movie imo and her ability to act is part of it.

I do expect the actress to either win a settlement or win outright.

Interesting, I thought she was the worst character in the Black Widow movie after Taskmaster

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, I thought she was the worst character in the Black Widow movie after Taskmaster
It's possible. I haven't actually seen Black Widow yet.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am for Scarlett getting her money. Disney could have made this an exclusive release in theaters but given everything with COVID they would have lost a lot of money and they went with the smarter idea of releasing on their platform, there was no law to my knowledge that did not allow them from releasing it exclusively to theaters. So if I were her I'm thinking wait because you decided to save on costs to by releasing it on your own platform I get screwed out of potential earnings? Hell nah.

I think there were also levels of conversation in that prior to all this it was communicated to her that there are no projects coming up at all where there will be black widow featured in films and that her character will stay dead for phase 4 and phase 5. So she is like owe you gonna cut me loose AND not pay me? I would file a lawsuit I am sure this lawsuit was fully thought through with a bunch of lawyers both sides know the outcome its all about more less what the dollar amount is.

I really hate how Disney does business they really strong armed others for their benefit. When Fox wanted to take back spiderman which was rightfully their owned property instead of just paying fox what they wanted they went to the public to make fox look bad and be like "oh we cant make anymore spiderman movies because big bad fox is taking back their owned property" Disney makes so much money its sickening they really cant give Sco Jo 10 million? or whatever the number she was looking for on top of salary?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can she be on board with an idea that is kept from her?

movie theaters being closed and the option of releasing to Disney+ was an idea that was kept from her?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
movie theaters being closed and the option of releasing to Disney+ was an idea that was kept from her?
I think you are giving disney a lot of benefit of the doubt here. They don't even agree internally that it was the right call. Chapek and Iger are reportedly at odds over how this movie was released.

Chapeks main focus has always been to drive up value for Disney+, and this breach of contract was not a new method for them. Emma Stone is considering suing for cruela, a movie that came out before things started locking down again and did simultaneous release.

Emily Blunt is also considering it. Disney is not doing this because of any virtue, they are using the pandemic to prop up their new toy and grab cash from their stars.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are giving disney a lot of benefit of the doubt here. They don't even agree internally that it was the right call. Chapek and Iger are reportedly at odds over how this movie was released.

Chapeks main focus has always been to drive up value for Disney+, and this breach of contract was not a new method for them. Emma Stone is considering suing for cruela, a movie that came out before things started locking down again and did simultaneous release.

Emily Blunt is also considering it. Disney is not doing this because of any virtue, they are using the pandemic to prop up their new toy and grab cash from their stars.
I also just don't care enough

this is a very non-story, IMO

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s amazing how women are taking a beating in America from every angle. Can’t have their own bathrooms, can’t have their own sports and now the masses are supporting Hollywood mistreating them.

The idea that the left supports women is a gigantic farce.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s amazing how women are taking a beating in America from every angle. Can’t have their own bathrooms, can’t have their own sports and now the masses are supporting Hollywood mistreating them.

It is not just women. Dwayne Johnson also got the short end on this, he just said he has no plans to sue.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nice pearl clutching

this isn't a political thing, yet you really want it to be one, don't ya?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not just women. Dwayne Johnson also got the short end on this, he just said he has no plans to sue.
he just wants to politicize it. Don't mind him.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say without access to the contract

but you would think sharing some of the revenue from the early release payments would be a reasonable compromise

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice pearl clutching

this isn't a political thing, yet you really want it to be one, don't ya?

You already said you don’t care so save it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Rock is still a rookie Hollywood puppet and making way too much cash to rock (pun intended) that boat.

Scarlett is a vet who is probably sick of Disney’s shit like every other woman to get put through that ringer. So she doesn’t give a shit.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he just wants to politicize it. Don't mind him.

Politics is life. If you had one you would be more privy to this debate instead of uninformed and triggered.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rock is still a rookie Hollywood puppet and making way too much cash to rock (pun intended) that boat.

Scarlett is a vet who is probably sick of Disney’s shit like every other woman to get put through that ringer. So she doesn’t give a shit.
The Rock's first big movie was The Mummy Returns in 2001

ScarJo's first big movie was likely Lost in Translation in 2003...and I doubt that one did great in theaters

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rock's first big movie was The Mummy Returns in 2001

ScarJo's first big movie was likely Lost in Translation in 2003...and I doubt that one did great in theaters

Scarlett is obviously a much bigger star over that time period regardless of when their first movie was. The Rock’s rise to fame is still relatively recent.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scarlett is obviously a much bigger star over that time period regardless of when their first movie was. The Rock’s rise to fame is still relatively recent.
I disagree. The Rock is one of the biggest earners in Hollywood and has been for some years now.