• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sark....

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth is we don't know what he would do if he was the top candidate for the job. For all the reasons you can site why he wouldn't go it is still USC. It may be the single most attractive coaching job in sports. He is from California and the weather there is perfect for his family and for working in. Sure they have issues right now with the sanctions but it would be impossible for them not to return to the top 10 in recruiting the second it is over. It is the easiest place to recruit for in the country.

So the two questions are how high would he really be on their list and what motives are there to turn down the greatest job in college football. You just can't use anything they say to answer either. Coach Sark is a class act and we wouldn't expect him to do anything on his way out to hurt their program so what else would be say if he knew he was going to take it?

So we can all agree he is probably really on their list and there isa greater than zero percent chance he could be convinced to go there. What those two values are will be debated from now until we know who their next coach really is. As Regent pointed out the side storey here is How much of an impact will his potential for taking it have on their recruiting over the rest of the season.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth is we don't know what he would do if he was the top candidate for the job. For all the reasons you can site why he wouldn't go it is still USC. It may be the single most attractive coaching job in sports. He is from California and the weather there is perfect for his family and for working in. Sure they have issues right now with the sanctions but it would be impossible for them not to return to the top 10 in recruiting the second it is over. It is the easiest place to recruit for in the country.

And this is the hardest part of dealing with college sports, you have a program that has gotten back into the spot light again. Will I be pissed if he left? Sure but at the same time, I honestly feel they could very easily fill his position with Wilcox. You just got that feeling with this guy that he is the next good young coach to come along....

But with Regent posted from some of his comments I'm not reading between the lines, I feel Sark is being honest about what he wants to do with his coaching career, and if he wants to go longer then coach James and win two titles, then I believe him...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Sark is happy here and has goals, but what we don't know is how interested is USC in him and what would it take for him to leave. Since we can't know the answer to either of those I'm not going to spend too much time worrying over it. He will be here next year or he won't.

Given that UW is back on the map and has the premiere venue in the conference they would be able to attract another very high profile HC candidate. Wilcox might be a good choice, but it's not like this is WSU or some other podunk location with recruiting challenges. You can hit the top 10 in recruiting here with the right coach.

Let's not forget next season will be a down year for whoever is coaching. You are losing Price, ASJ, KW, Sankey, and Smith from the offense and Parker, Shamburger, Ducre, Fuimaono, Tutogi, Potoa'e, among others from the D. It will be a 'reloading' kind of year. Some of sark's later classes have more talent than those graduating, but will they keep going without skipping a beat? Is that incentive for leaving town? Or another challenge and another chance to make steps forward?

I'm just going to worry about the next game each week and leave this stuff for the sports tabloids.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And perhaps that's the difference in the two programs as they stand now. Shaw has nothing but Oregon in their way every year and probably should think about them more. Sark needs to stop his team from playing so poorly on the road, work with the big games at home, fine tune his new play style, etc. Obsessing over any team while they have so much more to build would be a distraction. Get those solved and then look at Oregon, Stanford, and any other team you have specific match up problems with to take that next step.

I'd rather Sark focuses on the things that can get them in the 9-10 win range than to look past that toward the undefeated goals. Take your steps as they come and keep developing your brand and identity.

Shaw only has UW and Oregon to worry about this year unless you think ND will be dangerous late and both of those division rivals are at home this year.

I don't think ND will be that big an issue, but Stanford still has UCLA at home and at USC. Though they have kind of owned USC of late (even with the close game 2 years ago). The demand of the California schools to keep the North-South weekend series, is, in my opinion, a major hurdle for Stanford when USC and UCLA are good.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with all due respect, if Stanford is anywhere near the team they appear to be in rank and performance so far only UW and Oregon should be any real challenge. I'll give you UCLA, but they too are at home. USC is a dumpster fire right now and no other road game is worth worrying about. Now Stanford could be worse than we believe and then some of those may be more difficult, but as it stands right now? You only have 3 games to look at all season.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is the hardest part of dealing with college sports, you have a program that has gotten back into the spot light again. Will I be pissed if he left? Sure but at the same time, I honestly feel they could very easily fill his position with Wilcox. You just got that feeling with this guy that he is the next good young coach to come along....

But with Regent posted from some of his comments I'm not reading between the lines, I feel Sark is being honest about what he wants to do with his coaching career, and if he wants to go longer then coach James and win two titles, then I believe him...

Yes, a new QB will be there for 2014. And we're losing some big names to grad and NFL. But we also have lots of meat still there with our current Jrs and Sophs. Our last couple recruit classes have been amazing. Lots of talent still there in 2014.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't see Sark leaving because of players we lose at season end.
Wilcox is a up and coming guy, but USC is going to demand more experience from its new HC.

I believe the ties Sark has to USC are sometimes overblown. He likes his job here and like I said, USC has years to work through to scholarship issues. In 3+ years, USC could again be one of the top 5 jobs, but not now.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posting from phone so those posts were meant as a general reply to both what wiz and mcnabb are getting at.

I'm glad Sark addressed it like he did. Stops any damage to recruiting and just going to have to take him at his word about wanting to be here longer than Dawgfather. He's gonna live to regret saying that if he does jump ship in Dec. That's why I think he stays. That statement. Shows how much he wants to be here.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC is the top job in the nation no matter how many sanction affected years are left. Period. It will always be the highest profile job.

I don't think Sark will be leaving, but I felt compelled to at least put up the reasons why he would and have a sober discussion about it. Again, the question isn't just what would it take to attract him there, but how high is he really on their list and will everyone above him pass to even reach him?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
--Steve Sarkisian went on national radio today and reiterated that he wants to be leading Washington out of the Husky Stadium tunnel for a long time. As in, at least 19 years.

The latest national media outlet to shine onto the Huskies this week was The Jim Rome Show, the sports radio show syndicated from coast to coast.

Steve Sarkisian was Rome’s guest following the Huskies’ practice this morning. That was after ESPN’s College GameDay, Sports Illustrated, the Los Angeles Times and even the Wall Street Journal had interviewed Huskies over the previous five days.

And Sarkisian used the Dawgs’ latest national platform to reiterate that he doesn’t want to leave UW for his former USC Trojans — or for any other head job other than the one he’s had for the last five seasons.

"My goal is to be here longer than Coach James was," Sarkisian said, reiterating what he told Seattle’s KJR-AM Monday on his weekly coach’s show, that he also wants to win one more national title at Washington than Coach James did.

:suds:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"My goal is to be here longer than Coach James was," Sarkisian said, reiterating what he told Seattle’s KJR-AM Monday on his weekly coach’s show, that he also wants to win one more national title at Washington than Coach James did.

:suds:

Ok time to come clean, when Willingham was fired here is my wish list for replacement head coaches:

1. Lane Kiffin
2. Sark

Sometimes (even though I coach) its good the football gods don't always listen......