• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

San Francisco Warriors?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors will seek fans' input about possibly changing the franchise's name if they move to a new arena in San Francisco for the 2018-19 season.

The team was known as the San Fransisco Warriors from 1962-71 and team president Rick Welts said, "I couldn't imagine making that decision in the very near future, but we definitely want to see what our fans prefer." The new arena is expected to cost more than $1 billion and there are plenty of hurdles to clear before any re-branded Warriors team takes the court.

Thoughts?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the arguments for changing it, but why bother? They are already risking losing some East Bay support, why rock that boat further? I guess I don't see much upside in a name change. Moving to SF, definitely a positive. The name is fine.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the arguments for changing it, but why bother? They are already risking losing some East Bay support, why rock that boat further? I guess I don't see much upside in a name change. Moving to SF, definitely a positive. The name is fine.

I'd bet $1000 that they change it to SF Warriors. Golden State is, and always has been, a TERRIBLE name. I don't think Lacob gives two farts about EB fans.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a born and raised San Franciscan, I'd rather the team be kept as the Golden State Warriors. From a marketing stand point, it makes complete sense to change it to the SF Warriors.

By renaming the team to San Francisco, it gives bigger market presence to the team for those outside the immediate Bay Area. The casual fan has no idea where Golden State is, but San Francisco is easily recognizable. The fans who have supported this team for years, are not going to jump ship because of a city name change. I have a feeling the Warriors would make a killing in merchandizing alone with the name change.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as great as this would be to see the oakland raider fans bitch and moan..i think it would be better for the fan base for us to stay golden state...

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Change it to the Bay Area Warriors and be done with it. :)

bigjoerico

72 is my year!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I've said on so many different occasion. The Warriors fan base from San Fracisco that go to games now is very minimal. There's more Warrior fans from the south bay that go to games. I like Golden State Warriors better and I think the great fan base the Warriors have now will change when they move to San Francisco. I'm sorry to say a lot of Giants fans are notorious for being fake bandwagon fans.
Although I know a lot of die hard fans but even they say most fans are fake. They don't no when to cheer or when to stand, just learning the game....

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden State is a ridiculous name, almost as bad as Los Angeles Angels (of Anaheim). The Warriors are the only NBA team in the Bay Area. The owners could call the team whatever they want and we'd still be fans of them, no matter where we live.

SF Warriors? That works for me.

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't live in San Francisco, but I am 100% for changing it. SF is an international city known throughout the world. Oakland is not. "Bay Area" is not. "Golden State" certainly is not. And it's just going back into the franchise roots using the same name they used to have, long before anyone thought up Golden State. Nothing wrong with it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lacob's plan from the beginning was to move the team to SF and change the name. Anyone who's been to a Ws game at Oracle can see how amateur the entire experience is. Awful food, crappy cheerleaders, ridiculously lame halftime entertainment ("and NOW, the East Pittsburg High School Pan-Pacific Hula Dance Troop!!!"), and worst of all that clowny announcer (LET'S MAKE SOME NOIZE FOR YOUR GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRWAAAAAARRRRIIIIOOOORRRRSSSS!).

I cannot wait to get that team out of the East Bay and into a real city.

I will say the dunk squad is fairly entertaining though.