• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

San Francisco 49ers reached agreement with former Giants running back Brandon Jacobs.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i can't find a link yet but adam Schefter reported it!!

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers agree to terms with Brandon Jacobs - ************.com

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the San Francisco 49ers have reached an agreement with former Giants running back Brandon Jacobs.

Terms of the deal are not yet known.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That elicits a resounding "hmmm" from me. Accompanied with a firm shrug.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bye-bye Dixon. I will be one of the few that will miss you man.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It elicits a big "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" from me. One of the 'softer' big backs I've witnessed. Maybe he was right...we ARE scared!

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this, he can handle 10 carries a game if something happends to Gore

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It elicits a big "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" from me. One of the 'softer' big backs I've witnessed. Maybe he was right...we ARE scared!

I actually think he'd work out in the redzone for us. I absolutely HATE the Giants, and I don't want to hear from their fans how we're acquiring their left overs. I guess I'll just have to learn to put that ego aside. Oh well...

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure the money was low. The market for him was weak. I live in NYC and there has been talk about him coming back to the Giants. I'd rather have him for cheap than Dixon. Maybe the team doesn't want use a high draft pick pick on RB.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Love this, he can handle 10 carries a game if something happends to Gore

I wouldn't want him getting that many carries. Gore is going to get 15-20 carries a game (that's what we should strive for), I want Hunter to get in mix more on offense because he's an explosive back and is fast becoming one of our best weapons. So 12 touches at minimum for him (10 carries two screens). So if Jacobs get another 10 carries a game, that'll put us atop of the league in being known as a running team. That seems like a whole lot of rushing plays...So What do we do with Davis/Crabtree/Manningham/Moss? There's not that many balls to go around.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im saying if Gore went down I would like to see him get 10 carries, however Jacobs is more established then Hunter and Jacobs will def get some carries a game

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm sure the money was low. The market for him was weak. I live in NYC and there has been talk about him coming back to the Giants. I'd rather have him for cheap than Dixon. Maybe the team doesn't want use a high draft pick pick on RB.

And I'm happy with that. That's what I was hoping for anyway. Unless they decide to bring in a UDFA such as Bryce Brown.

The bad news (to me at least) is that now it looks like we will be targetting TE/OG early in the draft.

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My guess is pure short yardage and goal line duties. A tad confusing because he's not of much use on special teams.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't really understand. We already have a big back who on 3rd & short pretends he's on "Dancing With the Stars". Now we have 2 of them??

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is another one of harbaugh those signings that screams competition to the team! Dixon seemes to be working hard already this offseason but he will have to work even harder. I really like Dixon but it seems he may be the odd man out. He may have a shot at beating out BJ or maybe even Cartwright for ST but it will be tough. Not too mention i wouldnt be surprised to see us draft a RB or add one via UDFA status.

I like the signing, he is no lock to make the team and it shall be a great competition to watch this preseason/TC.

Also with each signing that keeps popping up it seems we might be making a few trades come april.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dixon was trash, end of story, Jacbos didnt have a great year and still had 8 Td's last year

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thimk we keep 5 backs. Gore hunter miller dixon jacobs. Norris was kept last year

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jacobs makes 49ers bigger, older at RB
March, 28, 2012 11:57AM ET
By Mike Sando

Frank Gore, 28, is no longer the oldest halfback on the San Francisco 49ers.

That distinction belongs to Brandon Jacobs, whose contract agreement with San Francisco gives the 49ers veteran insurance at a key position.

Jacobs, 29, averaged only 3.8 yards per carry last season. He did score seven rushing touchdowns and eight total touchdowns. He has 17 total touchdowns over the last two seasons.

Jacobs' three longest runs last season -- covering 34, 28 and 19 yards -- came from Week 14 or later, including one against the Atlanta Falcons in the wild-card playoff round. He played on early downs and in short-yardage situations, gaining six first downs on 11 third- or fourth-down rushes when the Giants needed 2 or fewer yards for a first down.

Jacobs is 6-foot-4 and 264 pounds, but less physical as a runner than Gore or any of the leading NFC West backs. His addition would not seem to threaten Kendall Hunter, the 49ers' primary backup and a promising young player, but rather power back Anthony Dixon.

Dixon gained first downs on all three of his short-yardage rushing attempts (defined the same way I defined them for Jacobs earlier in this item). Hunter converted once on five of these rushes. Gore converted eight times in 16 chances, including on the 49ers' only attempt during postseason.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh crap forgot about cartwright

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hmmmmm...my first thought on seeing this at the webzone was, "Is it April 1 already?"

The thing that makes me most optimistic about this move is that it might light a fire under Dixon. But we've already got a big back who runs like a much smaller back. I was kind of hoping for a genuinely hard-running back.

I'm not a big fan of Jacobs. He brings something, but he's going to be 30 before the season starts, and has never been all that good IMO. Not to mention I don't love his attitude. Hopefully it's a deal we can get out of easily if/when Dixon beats him out.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacobs makes 49ers bigger, older at RB
March, 28, 2012 11:57AM ET
By Mike Sando

Frank Gore, 28, is no longer the oldest halfback on the San Francisco 49ers.

That distinction belongs to Brandon Jacobs, whose contract agreement with San Francisco gives the 49ers veteran insurance at a key position.

Jacobs, 29, averaged only 3.8 yards per carry last season. He did score seven rushing touchdowns and eight total touchdowns. He has 17 total touchdowns over the last two seasons.

Jacobs' three longest runs last season -- covering 34, 28 and 19 yards -- came from Week 14 or later, including one against the Atlanta Falcons in the wild-card playoff round. He played on early downs and in short-yardage situations, gaining six first downs on 11 third- or fourth-down rushes when the Giants needed 2 or fewer yards for a first down.

Jacobs is 6-foot-4 and 264 pounds, but less physical as a runner than Gore or any of the leading NFC West backs. His addition would not seem to threaten Kendall Hunter, the 49ers' primary backup and a promising young player, but rather power back Anthony Dixon.

Dixon gained first downs on all three of his short-yardage rushing attempts (defined the same way I defined them for Jacobs earlier in this item). Hunter converted once on five of these rushes. Gore converted eight times in 16 chances, including on the 49ers' only attempt during postseason.

This is why we signed him. We were horrible at punching it in the the red zone last yr.