• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Salary cap should be net not gross

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I've been thinking today about the fact that the 49ers, Raiders & Chargers have a distictive disadvantage when it comes to signing free agents because Taxes in California are so much higher than anywhere else. So I propose that the NFL should determine a salary cap amount for each team that would take state taxes into consideration and allow all teams to have the same net income.

Basically, they should take the team with the lowest income taxes (Texas with none) and determine how much net income the players receive and give teams with state income taxes an allowance to pay their players a little more so that the net incomes in the two states are the same.

I'm sure the Cowboys wouldn't like the idea, but maybe the California & NY teams would.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It does balance out though, because in general the higher tax places tend to be the better places to live. This is why high-tax California is a heavily overpopulated state compared to a low-tax place like Alabama. Decent schools, stuff like that.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It does balance out though, because in general the higher tax places tend to be the better places to live. This is why high-tax California is a heavily overpopulated state compared to a low-tax place like Alabama. Decent schools, stuff like that.

It evens out if you're making 75K a year, but f you're making 5 million I think most athletes would prefer the money in their bank accounts.

The higher-taxed places to live are also, typically, far more expensive. NFL players would have to spend twice as much on a house & on living expenses (maybe more than twice as much) than if they lived in a place with low taxes. So half the living cost & far more net income probably out-weighs the sunshine in California (even though the bay area is foggy).

The appeal would probably only be there if they grew up in California or had family there.

Also, California is highly populated, but people are moving out of the state at a higher rate than ever before.