• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Salary Cap Going Up

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me the Flyers offensive problems are primarily two-fold:

1) The lack of a puck mover on defense. I'm not talking about an offensive powerhouse, just someone who can get the puck out of the defensive zone and onto the sticks of the forwards in a manner that puts them in good position to then enter the offensive zone, often by first skating it out of the d-zone themselves. As an example, the acquisition of Johnny Oduya in 2012 did wonders for the rebuilt Blackhawks D. He's a guy who has never even had 30 points in a season, and has occasional defensive lapses, but he excels in the areas I mentioned. Sadly, think Matt Carle. Streit is a mediocre skater and was never the answer to that problem.

2) Poor face-off winning percentage in key offensive situations. Sure, Adam Hall has gotten his proverbial stick out of his a$$ on faceoffs, but he's a defensive guy. You use him for that in defensive situations. Their offensive face-off guys are doing poorly. Giroux is only at 50% after winning 54% last year. Couturier has dropped below 50% after a hot start. LeCavalier (yeah, I know he's hurt) was supposed to be a 50% plus guy. He's at 45%. Schenn was supposed to be strong on faceoffs coming out of Juniors. He's at a paltry 39%. That's not going to cut it. You can't score if you don't have the puck. Winning face-offs in the offensive zone leads to additional quality scoring chances.

Just my 2 cents.

1) Flyers could have kept Matt Carle and not signed Mark Streit - one mistake(not re-signing) leads to another mistake(signing a guy)

2) Brayden Schenn's going to have to be much better on faceoffs - they need him at this point to be better in that category - the faceoffs are going to have to be better overall from this team, Adam Hall can't be out there for every faceoff

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Flyers could have kept Matt Carle and not signed Mark Streit - one mistake(not re-signing) leads to another mistake(signing a guy)

2) Brayden Schenn's going to have to be much better on faceoffs - they need him at this point to be better in that category - the faceoffs are going to have to be better overall from this team, Adam Hall can't be out there for every faceoff

i think schenn's future is on the wing. i think vinny will hold the 2C spot until couturier is ready for 2C and laughton is ready for 3C (or vice versa if laughton's domination this year carries over to people his size/age). so his faceoff stats aren't overly concerning to me.

i hadn't realized the numbers have slipped so much on the faceoffs. earlier in the season i feel like they were dynamite on draws as a team. that is definitely a problem

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hall has been excellent at faceoffs overall (60.7%), arguably even top 5 or 6 in the Nhl, which is amazing considering how poorly he started off the year. G and Couturier are average (at or around 50%) and Lecavalier below average (46%). Schenn is terrible at < 40%.

Overall, yes, these guys need to win more draws. It starts with the wingers helping out more.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think schenn's future is on the wing. i think vinny will hold the 2C spot until couturier is ready for 2C and laughton is ready for 3C (or vice versa if laughton's domination this year carries over to people his size/age). so his faceoff stats aren't overly concerning to me.

i hadn't realized the numbers have slipped so much on the faceoffs. earlier in the season i feel like they were dynamite on draws as a team. that is definitely a problem

I kinda think once Scott Laughton is up, he will be ready to be on the 3rd line, or at least I think he needs to be if they're going to have him up at that point - and I guess Vinny will move to the wing, maybe with Claude Giroux?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sarcasm]That was totally worth having the lockout for. Like totally[/sarcarms]

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sarcasm]That was totally worth having the lockout for. Like totally[/sarcarms]

They were really doing it for us. They thought the fans could use a break :gaah:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda think once Scott Laughton is up, he will be ready to be on the 3rd line, or at least I think he needs to be if they're going to have him up at that point - and I guess Vinny will move to the wing, maybe with Claude Giroux?

On Laughton, his entry level contract starts next year regardless of where he plays so I don't mind if he starts on the 4th line. But I tend to agree, I think he could be the 3C starting next season. Bump coots up to 2C and Vinny to the wing. Or Giroux to the wing. Not sure why that never gets dabbled in. He played wing in juniors :noidea:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Laughton, his entry level contract starts next year regardless of where he plays so I don't mind if he starts on the 4th line. But I tend to agree, I think he could be the 3C starting next season. Bump coots up to 2C and Vinny to the wing. Or Giroux to the wing. Not sure why that never gets dabbled in. He played wing in juniors :noidea:

They could certainly move G to the wing, but I think they want him to be a really good all-around player so playing him at center would do that

But my thought process with Laughts is that if he's up, why waste him on the 4th line, let him play 3rd line especially considering how Couts started his career playing 3rd line basically

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were really doing it for us. They thought the fans could use a break :gaah:

True, too much stress from watching the NHL for a full season. Thank you NHL for taking away nearly half a season away for nothing.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, too much stress from watching the NHL for a full season. Thank you NHL for taking away nearly half a season away for nothing.
no kidding the cap next year is right back where it was

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so why did we have a lockout again ? I thought the big fight was the owners did not want the cap at 70 millon dollars!

Bettman likes to initiate lockouts just for "teh lulz".

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no kidding the cap next year is right back where it was

[sarcasm]come on, it was totally worth compromising the integrity of the league for a 1 & 1/2 years relief from the $70 million cap[/sarcasm]

I had an argument with someone about who is the worst commissioner in sport. Dude I was arguing with said David Stern. I would take David Stern over Gary Bettman anyday, especially if that day is after the CBA expires. No commissioner in the history of the NHL, NFL, MLB, or NBA has initiated 3 lockouts nor locked out an entire season + the playoffs. When it comes to the worst sports commissioner ever, Gary Bettman is the GOAT!

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary Bettman by far is the worst.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[sarcasm]come on, it was totally worth compromising the integrity of the league for a 1 & 1/2 years relief from the $70 million cap[/sarcasm]

I had an argument with someone about who is the worst commissioner in sport. Dude I was arguing with said David Stern. I would take David Stern over Gary Bettman anyday, especially if that day is after the CBA expires. No commissioner in the history of the NHL, NFL, MLB, or NBA has initiated 3 lockouts nor locked out an entire season + the playoffs. When it comes to the worst sports commissioner ever, Gary Bettman is the GOAT!

Gary Bettman has initiated a lot of lockouts, but I wouldn't want David Stern either - notice in the NBA with him, there's never been any parity? Also, some of the stupid stuff he's done in that league? Yeah they make a lot of money but he's sleazy too

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary Bettman has initiated a lot of lockouts, but I wouldn't want David Stern either - notice in the NBA with him, there's never been any parity? Also, some of the stupid stuff he's done in that league? Yeah they make a lot of money but he's sleazy too

I feel like the NBA loses popularity every year, while the NHL gains popularity. I don't know, just feels that way. Maybe because I'm in Chicago?

Either way, Bettman is still shit.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the NBA loses popularity every year, while the NHL gains popularity. I don't know, just feels that way. Maybe because I'm in Chicago?

Well, I still think the diehard NBA fans are still around and what not, but the NHL has gained some more popularity the last few years - I also think some people are watching ESPN less and less - I barely watch ESPN anymore - I'm hoping the NHL can continue to take advantage - the parity in the NHL is what makes the league great

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stern has been NBA commissioner since 1984, Gary Bettman has been NHL commissioner since 1993. If the NHL was gaining popularity since the Bettman era, they would've surpassed the NBA by now. Probably because the NHL always has a lockout whenever it has momentum.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't want Stern either, but I would take him over Bettman. Parity or not, at least there isn't a lockout everytime the CBA expires.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I still think the diehard NBA fans are still around and what not, but the NHL has gained some more popularity the last few years - I also think some people are watching ESPN less and less - I barely watch ESPN anymore - I'm hoping the NHL can continue to take advantage - the parity in the NHL is what makes the league great

Fully agree.

I use to watch ESPN quite a bit, now I only watch when there's a sporting event on. I never ever watch ESPNEWS or Sportscenter anymore.

The NHL playoffs are far and away better than any other sport. And it seems like the 2010 Olympics really brought a new wave of fans to the league.