• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saints/Broncos blown calls

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 151172 View attachment 151173

This won't be too much of an angry, bitter fan rant, and this isn't meant to take anything away from Denver as both teams fought hard...but in 2016, with all of the rule changes and camera angles, it amazes me that the refs could miss these 2 calls. The 2nd for obvious reasons, but the 1st is incredible in it's own right, given that the ref is standing right in front, as the center's head is getting pushed down

First, it's not illegal to push the center down. Since he didn't grab him it's not holding and not a penalty.

Second, the angle of the return makes it impossible to tell if he was out of bounds or not, especially with the white shoes. Gun to my head, I'd say he probably stepped out of bounds, but to overturn the call on the field calls for undisputed video evidence, and it just wasn't there. That call on the field will stand every time.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, it's not illegal to push the center down. Since he didn't grab him it's not holding and not a penalty.

Second, the angle of the return makes it impossible to tell if he was out of bounds or not, especially with the white shoes. Gun to my head, I'd say he probably stepped out of bounds, but to overturn the call on the field calls for undisputed video evidence, and it just wasn't there. That call on the field will stand every time.

There was actually a camera man recording straight down the sideline that while showing it was a tough call it was also one that was impossible to overturn either way. The angle that the tv was showing was not a great angle to make any kind of determination. I agree my guess is he actually did just barely step out of bounds but once a call has been made on the field unless there is something that absolutely shows his foot was out you can't overturn it.

And you are right you can push down on the Center as long as you do not pull them down. Great call by the Broncos at the biggest moment of the game!

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was actually a camera man recording straight down the sideline that while showing it was a tough call it was also one that was impossible to overturn either way. The angle that the tv was showing was not a great angle to make any kind of determination. I agree my guess is he actually did just barely step out of bounds but once a call has been made on the field unless there is something that absolutely shows his foot was out you can't overturn it.

And you are right you can push down on the Center as long as you do not pull them down. Great call by the Broncos at the biggest moment of the game!
Yep, here it is. Way too close to overturn.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, here it is. Way too close to overturn.

Still trying to figure out why in the world he thought he needed to run that close to the sideline. Nobody close with 3-4 guys out in front making sure nobody gets close. Didn't need to make it that controversial. Thankfully didn't end up costing the team but as we can see this game sometimes comes down to even the slimmest of inches of the outcome of a game.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you freeze it at :10 his foot is clearly half in and half out. But watching it at the time I thought it wasn't enough to overturn it.

I've been saying all year they simply have to change the rule that allows a player to jump the center. I mean seriously what is the center supposed to do? He has to keep his head down to complete the snap. If you watch the video the DL was clearly pushing him down, it was part of the design. It's not illegal now but it should be next year. I realize it is difficult to time the snap and the defender deserves credit. But looking at that play what's the risk? If he jumps the gun they simply march them back 5 and he tries it again. And again if necessary. Just a bullshit way to lose a game IMO.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you freeze it at :10 his foot is clearly half in and half out. But watching it at the time I thought it wasn't enough to overturn it.

I've been saying all year they simply have to change the rule that allows a player to jump the center. I mean seriously what is the center supposed to do? He has to keep his head down to complete the snap. If you watch the video the DL was clearly pushing him down, it was part of the design. It's not illegal now but it should be next year. I realize it is difficult to time the snap and the defender deserves credit. But looking at that play what's the risk? If he jumps the gun they simply march them back 5 and he tries it again. And again if necessary. Just a bullshit way to lose a game IMO.

I agree that they need to change it but in the mean time, centers need to do their best to lift their head up faster so there will be contact to draw a flag

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have to remember though that camera angle by that reporter is not one the NFL has. They do not have sideline cameras which honestly shocks me a bit considering how many plays happen at the sideline. My guess is yes they do figure out something with the jumping over the Center because quite a few teams are doing it with a high degree of success this year.

I will say though I listened to some ex-players talk about how they have been taught to stop this. Pretty much comes down to the 2 guards committing to getting an arm up to hit that player down. The player cannot make contact so if a guard just gets his arm up it should knock the guy down enough to draw a penalty. Plus then that type of fall becomes a bit dangerous for that player so might make them think twice about being that player called upon to do it. Still like I said I bet they work to change something.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be good but this play was completely legal so if they didn't know the rules at least this time it worked out that the no-call was the right call.

I just wanna know where the hell has the NFL been getting their refs lately.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wanna know where the hell has the NFL been getting their refs lately.

I wish I had an answer for that. I've been saying for a while with today's technology they should rely a lot more on replay. It wouldn't take any longer than when the officials get together and huddle and would at least mean a bit more accuracy one some of these calls. Nothing drives me more crazy than a big hit over the middle and because the WR's head snaps forward they call it a personal foul then they hit them in the shoulder. Those types of calls shouldn't be up to the officials watching a split second hit at such high speeds. Huge penalties that can change the outcome of a game.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I had an answer for that. I've been saying for a while with today's technology they should rely a lot more on replay. It wouldn't take any longer than when the officials get together and huddle and would at least mean a bit more accuracy one some of these calls. Nothing drives me more crazy than a big hit over the middle and because the WR's head snaps forward they call it a personal foul then they hit them in the shoulder. Those types of calls shouldn't be up to the officials watching a split second hit at such high speeds. Huge penalties that can change the outcome of a game.

There have been so many blown calls the last couple of years it's almost like some of the refs hardly know what they're doing.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm okay with the no-call if only because the whole idea of him being by the sideline is absurd to begin with. Overturning it at that point is really more of a 'hey, that Broncos player is an idiot and we are going to nit pick' which all AFC playoff potentials would benefit from but on a 50/50 play like that where nobody on the Saints made a play then Im fine.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been so many blown calls the last couple of years it's almost like some of the refs hardly know what they're doing.

I honestly don't blame the officials completely for that though. Think about the wording of some of the NFL rules. So much is left up to interpretation by the reader. I mean the fact that we have no clear picture of what a catch actually is just goes to show that they need to sit down this off season and go over every NFL rule and try to figure out a better way to word things to make them more black and white. I mean I hate when they use words like "intent."

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't blame the officials completely for that though. Think about the wording of some of the NFL rules. So much is left up to interpretation by the reader. I mean the fact that we have no clear picture of what a catch actually is just goes to show that they need to sit down this off season and go over every NFL rule and try to figure out a better way to word things to make them more black and white. I mean I hate when they use words like "intent."

I just hope the refs don't have brain freeze during the playoffs. I'd hate to see a team get screwed over a bad call.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... great camera angle on that view.. I would have to agree way too close to overturn. If he is touching out of bounds it is by 1 blade of grass.

View attachment 151222
If he wasn't wearing white shoes, you might be able to tell. But white on white? No chance that gets overturned.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dean Blandino explains, pushing the Centers head down is 100% legal and the review isn't to re-officiate the call it's just to see if there is evidence to overturn it which there wasn't .