• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 NFL Rule Change Proposals

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eliminate the onside kick? Revamp overtime? Five things to know about NFL rule changes proposed for 2019

Mar 8, 2019 at 9:06 pm ET • 4 min read

This year's league meeting will be held from March 24-27 in Phoenix.
With that in mind, let's take a look at the five biggest proposals.

1. Chiefs want to revamp overtime.
Apparently, the Chiefs have some pent up frustration with overtime, because they proposed three different changes on Friday. The first change is the most obvious: The Chiefs want to see overtime changed so that both teams get the opportunity to possess the ball at least one time in overtime, even if the first team to possess the ball in overtime scores a touchdown.

If you watched the AFC Championship game, you may realize why the Chiefs feel so strongly about this rule. The Patriots beat the Chiefs 37-31 in overtime in a game where Kansas City's offense didn't get to touch the ball in overtime. Under this rule proposal, the Chiefs would have gotten a chance to respond to New England's touchdown.

The second part of Kansas City's overtime proposal involves the coin toss. The Chiefs want to eliminate the OT coin toss and set things up so that the winner of the initial coin toss to start the game would get to decide whether to kick or receive in overtime, or which goal to defend.

The final part of the Chiefs proposal is more simple: They want to eliminate overtime in the preseason. There is literally no reason for a preseason game to go into overtime, so you'd think that most teams would want to get behind this proposal.

2. The Broncos want to dump the onside kick
Someone in the Broncos front office must have been watching the AAF this year, because Denver has proposed a rule that's eerily similar to the onside kick rule that's used in that league. Under the Broncos' proposal, instead of an onside kick after a team scores, they would have the option of taking possession of the ball at their own 35-yard line to try and convert a fourth-and-15. If they get the 15 yards, they get a first down and keep possession of the ball. If they don't get the 15 yards, the other team takes over on downs wherever the possession ended.

In the AAF, instead of an onside kick, teams are allowed to try and convert a fourth-and-12 play from their own 28 in certain situations (The onside kick is only allowed if a team is trailing by 17 or more points or if they're trailing with under five minutes left in the game).

3. The Redskins want to make everything reviewable
It seems the Redskins have a simple solution to the ugly problem the NFL ran into in the NFC Championship game and that solution is: Make everything reviewable.

Under the Redskins proposal, all plays that occur during a game could potentially be subjected to a coaches' challenge or review by the officiating department in the instant replay system.

The proposal doesn't say that a penalty necessarily has to be called, so if this rule would have been in place last year, officials would have been able to review the pass interference no-call that took place late in the fourth quarter of the Rams 26-23 win over the Saints in the NFC title game.

The Redskins have also proposed a second rule change that would make personal fouls reviewable plays. The Chiefs have proposed a similar rule that would allow coaches to challenge personal foul calls whether they were called on the field or not. The Panthers, Rams, Eagles and Seahawks want to see the league allow coaches to challenge designated player safety-related fouls whether they were called on the field or not.

4. Eagles want to see a few more things subject to replay
Unlike the Redskins, the Eagles don't want to see everything subject to replay, but they are proposing a minor change. Philadelphia would like to see scoring plays and turnovers negated by a foul to be subject to automatic instant replay review. This one is pretty simple: If a touchdown or turnover is called back by a penalty, the play would be subject to review to make sure the officials got the call right.

5. Broncos offer more replay proposals
Not only do the Broncos want to see the onside kick changed, but they'd also like to see a few changes made to the NFL's replay system. Under the Broncos' proposal, all fourth down or goal line plays that are spotted short of the line to gain would be subject to automatic review. The Broncos are also proposing that all extra point and two-point conversion attempts be subject to review.

Basically, it seems that there are a lot of teams in the NFL that would like to see the replay system expanded. The competition committee will now take these proposals into consideration and will likely endorse them or take a pass on them at some point over the next two weeks.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills want BB and TB to retire.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have my own RULE change proposal.
Not kidding here.

In the last 2 minutes of a game, the team with possession/moving the ball is allowed to have the ref's stop the game clock to correctly spot the ball at the line of scrimmage. Also, there might be more stoppages as plays are reviewed.

So my rule proposal would total up the time that the refs stop the clock to spot the ball and award it to the defending team (if they want it). Also if play is stopped for a review by the officiating crew, then the defending team will be awarded a time out to use.

The purpose of these rules is because a team defending the lead at the end of a game does not get the same clock benefits during regulation time (or at least for 58 minutes). Sure, the team with the ball that is losing still does have to score to tie or win. But it seems like their 2 minutes is exaggerated by ball spots and reviews which (in my opinion) is a distinct advantage.

Did I explain that coherently?

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have my own RULE change proposal.
Not kidding here.

In the last 2 minutes of a game, the team with possession/moving the ball is allowed to have the ref's stop the game clock to correctly spot the ball at the line of scrimmage. Also, there might be more stoppages as plays are reviewed.

So my rule proposal would total up the time that the refs stop the clock to spot the ball and award it to the defending team (if they want it). Also if play is stopped for a review by the officiating crew, then the defending team will be awarded a time out to use.

The purpose of these rules is because a team defending the lead at the end of a game does not get the same clock benefits during regulation time (or at least for 58 minutes). Sure, the team with the ball that is losing still does have to score to tie or win. But it seems like their 2 minutes is exaggerated by ball spots and reviews which (in my opinion) is a distinct advantage.

Did I explain that coherently?

I'm not sure Joe. I think when the guys that go down actually get up and immediately get the ball to the umpire to spot the ball it's not a problem. It's when the dumbasses get up and either give the ball to the wrong official or just leave it on the ground that there's a problem. IMHO if they are too stupid to give the ball to the right guy then they deserve to lose time. To me, the rule change that would make the most sense and I would love to see the most is taken from Arena Football. When there is less than two minutes on the clock, the team that is trying to run the clock out must gain positive yardage for the clock to keep moving. If the they don't gain positive yardage, then the clock stops (free timeout for the defense). It forces teams to keep actually trying to play offense instead of just kneeling it and is there really anybody that enjoys watching teams kneel it at the end of the game?

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure Joe. I think when the guys that go down actually get up and immediately get the ball to the umpire to spot the ball it's not a problem. It's when the dumbasses get up and either give the ball to the wrong official or just leave it on the ground that there's a problem. IMHO if they are too stupid to give the ball to the right guy then they deserve to lose time.
I knew I didn't explain it clearly.
Your reply helps with me proposal.
Some may argue this is a deliberate tactic for players to catch a breath while the ump resets the ball. My proposal awards this reset time to go the defending team in case they need it when time expires.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew I didn't explain it clearly.
Your reply helps with me proposal.
Some may argue this is a deliberate tactic for players to catch a breath while the ump resets the ball. My proposal awards this reset time to go the defending team in case they need it when time expires.

Oh I gotcha. That sounds like it would be a nightmare to keep up with though.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I gotcha. That sounds like it would be a nightmare to keep up with though.
Yeah, I don't expect that to ever be adopted. Or even considered. Just dreaming.