• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sabres first pick

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else see that they are supposedly shopping their 1st pick and they're only asking for 2 top line quality prospects. So basically they're asking for 2 first line guys for Ekblad if they get the first overall. Anyone else think that's a bit crazy? I'll be the first to admit that I don't know to much about Ekblad even though I have read a little bit about him but I have yet to read anyone compare him to a Weber, Suter or Pronger or hell even Seth Jones. So am I completely off or is Buffalo just asking for the moon and the stars because they can?

I know the Flyers are in need of some more young talented D-men to compliment our forwards but I can't see giving up anymore then Laughton for a D prospect moving forward and I really don't think it would be a good idea to trade Laughton.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't really heard anything about the Sabres wanting to move that pick but that would be interesting

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't really heard anything about the Sabres wanting to move that pick but that would be interesting

It was on hockeybuzz, but one of the tsn guys tweeted it. Apparently there is another rumor that Buffalo, Florida & the Oilers are all shopping their 1st rounders. Since they will more then likely be the first 3 picks that doesn't seem right but again it was on twitter.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't seem too crazy to me. A couple of guys in this draft are supposed to be really talented.

And I don't think Laughton qualifies as a 'top line prospect' persay, I don't think the flyers have what it would take to get the pick if that's what the sabres want for it. Imo Laughton has great 3C written all over him.

Definitely an interesting move by them.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With no sure fire stud in the draft this year (unlike next year), the Sabres are smart to shop the pick. I doubt they move it, but there's a small chance that some team throws an offer their way that they just can't refuse, as we all know you have to overpay for d-men right now and Buffalo is already loaded on D.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With no sure fire stud in the draft this year (unlike next year), the Sabres are smart to shop the pick. I doubt they move it, but there's a small chance that some team throws an offer their way that they just can't refuse, as we all know you have to overpay for d-men right now and Buffalo is already loaded on D.

I could see Ottawa being interested in that pick, they don't have their own first after the Bobby Ryan trade plus Tim and Bryan Murray know each other closely so there could be something done there

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but I can't see any way that trading 2 prospects with top line potential is worth 1 defensive prospect unless their name is Chris Pronger or Seth Jones (when they were drafted that is). It may be a smart move but the asking price is just ridiculous. I could see them asking for a NHL ready top 6 player in return. I mean they're basically saying yea we'll trade Ekblad for B Schenn and Couturier, that doesn't strike anyone else as unreasonable? I just can't see any team really being willing to part with that type of package who actually has those players readily available except for maybe LA (they seem to always have a full prospect pool). If I were the Flyers and Buffalo had the pick on the table for the 1st overall I would offer them our 1st, 2nd, Cousins and Gus and that's it .If they take it great, if they don't or someone outbids that's fine too.

Now I want to address Laughton for a second. This kid is without a doubt a future top 6 player and will be a big time contributor. He works his ass off every shift, doesn't mind getting to dirty areas, has nice hands, great hockey sense he is basically a pure bred winner, much like Richie was. He will make the team next year and yea maybe he will play with Coots and Read to create the best shutdown line in all of hockey but I'm still holding on to the hope that we can trade Vinny in the off season (even if we need to give up a pick so we can free up salary, a top 9 roster spot for Laughton and make room for a less defensively liable player) and that Laughton will slot into the LW spot with Schenn and Simmer. God that would be a high energy, hard working, nasty, skilled line to play against and it would probably take some pressure off the G line since teams would literally have 3 dangerous lines coming at them...

Hartnell - G - Vorachek
Laughton - Schenn - Simmer
Raffl - Coots - Read
Newberry - Hall - Rinaldo

That line-up is just scary deep.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously hope you're right, but I personally think you are over-valuing him. Laughton has NOT displayed the offensive talent level that Richards did in Juniors, and it's unclear how well what offensive talent he does have will translate to the NHL level. The Flyers would be foolish to pencil him in as anything more than a 3rd liner, and if they get more well then it's a bonus.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously hope you're right, but I personally think you are over-valuing him. Laughton has NOT displayed the offensive talent level that Richards did in Juniors, and it's unclear how well what offensive talent he does have will translate to the NHL level. The Flyers would be foolish to pencil him in as anything more than a 3rd liner, and if they get more well then it's a bonus.

Then we switch Raffl for laughton in that line up and we still look as good as anyone. Please someone take Vinny off our hands.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but I can't see any way that trading 2 prospects with top line potential is worth 1 defensive prospect unless their name is Chris Pronger or Seth Jones (when they were drafted that is). It may be a smart move but the asking price is just ridiculous. I could see them asking for a NHL ready top 6 player in return. I mean they're basically saying yea we'll trade Ekblad for B Schenn and Couturier, that doesn't strike anyone else as unreasonable? I just can't see any team really being willing to part with that type of package who actually has those players readily available except for maybe LA (they seem to always have a full prospect pool). If I were the Flyers and Buffalo had the pick on the table for the 1st overall I would offer them our 1st, 2nd, Cousins and Gus and that's it .If they take it great, if they don't or someone outbids that's fine too.

Now I want to address Laughton for a second. This kid is without a doubt a future top 6 player and will be a big time contributor. He works his ass off every shift, doesn't mind getting to dirty areas, has nice hands, great hockey sense he is basically a pure bred winner, much like Richie was. He will make the team next year and yea maybe he will play with Coots and Read to create the best shutdown line in all of hockey but I'm still holding on to the hope that we can trade Vinny in the off season (even if we need to give up a pick so we can free up salary, a top 9 roster spot for Laughton and make room for a less defensively liable player) and that Laughton will slot into the LW spot with Schenn and Simmer. God that would be a high energy, hard working, nasty, skilled line to play against and it would probably take some pressure off the G line since teams would literally have 3 dangerous lines coming at them...

Hartnell - G - Vorachek
Laughton - Schenn - Simmer
Raffl - Coots - Read
Newberry - Hall - Rinaldo

That line-up is just scary deep.

i like that lineup, and i love the idea of a laughton, schenn, simmer line. i think that'd be awesome. however.....

i agree w/ this. i think laughton is a 3rd line type of player. but, given the depth of the flyers lineup you posted, i wouldn't mind having laughton on the flyers "2nd" line. because i think coots and read are 2nd line caliber guys too. so in my mind, bandits lineup is essentially a #1, and two 2.5s.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like that lineup, and i love the idea of a laughton, schenn, simmer line. i think that'd be awesome. however.....

i agree w/ this. i think laughton is a 3rd line type of player. but, given the depth of the flyers lineup you posted, i wouldn't mind having laughton on the flyers "2nd" line. because i think coots and read are 2nd line caliber guys too. so in my mind, bandits lineup is essentially a #1, and two 2.5s.

I've been following Laughton this year a lot and honestly he looks bored in juniors (which is why 19 year olds should be allowed to play in the AHL) but he scores at will and shuts down the opposing teams top players. At the WJC they used him in a shut down role and he played really well and when he had the puck it looked incredibly hard to get him off it. I may be giving him a bit too much credit but he has all the tools and the most impressive part about him is his competitiveness.

Yes if I was coaching the Flyers I'd be setting up to have a clear #1 and then basically a 2a & 2b. I'd set 2a up as a grinding, physical cycling line that really exploits getting to the dirty areas for rebounds & 2b would be my shutdown type line but I'd make sure to utilize quicker players here because turnovers lead to breakaways and scoring chances. The other thing is that Schenn and Simmer aren't exactly pushovers in the D zone so adding Laughton would help bolster their back checking and coverages and having Raffl with Coots and Read gives them another quick yet physical player who makes really nice passes and has great defensive awareness.