• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

S. O. F. T.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair. I agree with most of that. I think he and the Martin's have drafted pretty well. The Mathis pick was a luxury pick but that's because they assumed Payne wasn't going to break out. That's on them.

Ten wins and a playoff win would make things interesting for me. I believe with all my heart this is going to be a sought after job for the first time in a long time. We can do better than Ron. I agree though, it would be hard to move on from Ron if he wins a playoff game.

I kinda want a younger set of eyes on the sideline and upstairs. Maybe and McVay/Kyle Smith type reunion.

It's early. I will be rooting for Ron though. I know that's kinda a oxymoron but I'm sure you get my point.

I get your point. It's going to be interesting if we win. IF we do move on from Ron wouldnt Harris promote from within with EB and JDR? Or does that depend on how the season goes.

Last edited:

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a phrase this week that is applicable here I believe.

When presented with reality, people often run to fantasy.

So, if Rivera get 9 wins, harris will need to ignore:

Rivera would have had 1 winning season in the last 6 years

Rivera would have had 4 winning seasons in 13 years as a head coach

Rivera has never had back to back winning seasons.

In other words, harris should take counsel of his fears.

As i have asked many times, if in a court of law, would Rivera be convicted of being a good coach/GM? Is there enough evidence there? Nobody has responded so I guess I know the answer.

JDR is a fantastic DC. He has not been an HC for about 6 years now. I have never heard of him being approached about an HC job. If he hasn't already, he probably won't. The nfl is trending away from coaches like him.

EB has been involved in some way for 16 HC roles and never gotten 1. He had to take a lateral here with a new title. He was not nor has he been a sought after coach. Ask any chiefs fan. Within 3 weeks, he has players complaining about him. I dont think its entirely his fault, yet it still happened. You mean to tell me the teams are going to be pounding down the door to hire him?

Again, if we have to do mental math and list 5 hypothetical things to happen to keep Rivera, is he really who we want? Even if he wins, why is that an indicator of continued success given his history?

These are difficult questions indeed. It's best we defer them and come up with more reasons to keep him and invent more hypothetical situations.

In other words, we have been presented with reality, so let's run to fantasy.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. It's just most of this board still wants RR gone even if we win 9 or 10 games and a playoff win this year. That would be an overachievement for this team this year. If that happens that would mean 3 out of his 4 years here, we would have been playing meaningful football in Dec and Jan. Plus, if Howell, Dotson, Robinson, and Turner become studs, all of those guys were acquired through the RR trade down in the 2022 draft for Olave.

I agree with you about RR in game decision making and time mgt. and his GM decisions. I agree RR is on the hot seat this year. IF Howell and EB work out well together then we can't afford to lose EB. Those two have to stay linked together here. It's going to be a very tough call if we win this year and see how stays and who leaves. EB and JDR could get head coaching opportunities elsewhere. I would want these guys to stay here if possible.

IF we lose then we all know RR will be gone. I'm not disputing that at all.
our standards are now"play meaningful football " ? what is that ? because the only meaningful football is competing for championships not being a speed bump for contenders . you cant be so beat down that playing "meaningful football " with 500 or sub 500 records means you keep your job . sorry i am not buying mediocrity

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our standards are now"play meaningful football " ? what is that ? because the only meaningful football is competing for championships not being a speed bump for contenders . you cant be so beat down that playing "meaningful football " with 500 or sub 500 records means you keep your job . sorry i am not buying mediocrity

ksbo said meaningful football. We played meaningful football in Dec/Jan. We are mediocre no doubt. Of course, the standard is to win.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ksbo said meaningful football. We played meaningful football in Dec/Jan. We are mediocre no doubt. Of course, the standard is to win.
then RR has to show up in a nfc title game to erase that crap he has put out for 4yrs

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point. It's going to be interesting if we win. IF we do move on from Ron wouldnt Harris promote from within with EB and JDR? Or does that depend on how the season goes.
If Ron gets fired that probably means Howell wasn't it and EB didn't get it done. Ron hired EB when no one else wanted him. This on the heels of going with his unproven Scott Turner (Carolina guy) hire. Not to mention he had five years to fix the QB position and wasn't able to. All of that would fall in his lap right or wrong.

If Ron is here next year that probably means EB and maybe even JDR are HCs somewhere else. If Ron isn't here I'd say it's a good bet EB isn't either.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then RR has to show up in a nfc title game to erase that crap he has put out for 4yrs

NFC title game is a bit strong but if that is what you feel then so be it. And it's been 3 years. 4th one didn't happen yet.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Harris simply promote EB/JDR when that is a GMs job?

Look, we just complained about Snyder being involved with everything on the football side...now we want Harris to be Snyder 2.0? Why would Harris starting hiring coaches without a GM OR over-ride the GM and hire his own coach?

Am I wrong here or is this the type of ownership we have complained about the past 20+ years???

Around and around we go....

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys need to remember. Someone, most likely Harris reached out to Sean Payton. Rivera is on the hottest of hot seats.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ron gets fired that probably means Howell wasn't it and EB didn't get it done. Ron hired EB when no one else wanted him. This on the heels of going with his unproven Scott Turner (Carolina guy) hire. Not to mention he had five years to fix the QB position and wasn't able to. All of that would fall in his lap right or wrong.

If Ron is here next year that probably means EB and maybe even JDR are HCs somewhere else. If Ron isn't here I'd say it's a good bet EB isn't either.
5 Years? This will be RR's fourth season. EB has a two-year deal here. Im not sure what JDR deal is. Thats what im afraid off if we win this year, we could lose both those coaches.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys need to remember. Someone, most likely Harris reached out to Sean Payton. Rivera is on the hottest of hot seats.

no doubt RR seat is hot.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 Years? This will be RR's fourth season. EB has a two-year deal here. Im not sure what JDR deal is. Thats what im afraid off if we win this year, we could lose both those coaches.
Yeah my bad. Four years. Anything less than a double digit win season followed by a playoff win and he's gone.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah my bad. Four years. Anything less than a double digit win season followed by a playoff win and he's gone.

what about a 9 win season and a playoff win? lol. Just kidding. i know what you mean.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about a 9 win season and a playoff win? lol. Just kidding. i know what you mean.
I honestly think backing into the playoffs with 9 wins and winning a close WC game might not be enough. I think in that scenario it might come down to McLaurin, Allen and how the players feel. Remember, these aren't Dan's Commanders. The roster isn't bad. This is going to be a sought after job.

That said, I'm all in on Ron for this year. I want to see him succeed. He's not hard to root for. He gets to be a HC this year and not the owner, team spokesman, rebranding official. No excuses for him this year. No covid. He appears healthy. I'm pulling for him.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think backing into the playoffs with 9 wins and winning a close WC game might not be enough. I think in that scenario it might come down to McLaurin, Allen and how the players feel. Remember, these aren't Dan's Commanders. The roster isn't bad. This is going to be a sought after job.

if we get in with 9 wins most likely it will be the 7th seed which will play the #2 seed. Skinsdad is saying we have to beat the #2 seed and another playoff win for RR to stay. What if we lose a close game against the #2 seed? You think the players would want him out?

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we get in with 9 wins most likely it will be the 7th seed which will play the #2 seed. Skinsdad is saying we have to beat the #2 seed for RR to stay. What if we lose a close game against the #2 seed? You think the players would want him out?
If I'm being completely honest. I think Harris tried to hire Sean Payton and had to settle for Ron because the sale went through so close to the season. If Ron wants to be here next year my advice to him would be to go win this division.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm being completely honest. I think Harris tried to hire Sean Payton and had to settle for Ron because the sale went through so close to the season. If Ron wants to be here next year my advice to him would be to go win this division.

ok but that didn't answer my question.