• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan O'Reilly - Yes Or No?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avs are filing for salary arbitration with him and it might get messy again - if the Avs do trade him, should the Flyers go after him?

He's really good offensively but really good defensively too - it would probably take a package of Brayden Schenn and another piece to get him but considering that the Flyers have some good young d-man prospects, getting Ryan O'Reilly might be that piece that can really stabilize the second line and then if those young d-men pan out and play well, this team could really be something

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nah. I'd rather wait and see if schenn can become o'reilly. that's really the hope and what he was projected to be similar to. might as well wait and try to get that player for cheaper (schenn at 3ish)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like B Schenn too but I may do this trade it depends on the other player or pick they would want in the draft.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they would have to give up too much to equal his value and stay under the cap. Besides, they have enough forward depth.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nah. I'd rather wait and see if schenn can become o'reilly. that's really the hope and what he was projected to be similar to. might as well wait and try to get that player for cheaper (schenn at 3ish)

I think Brayden Schenn could put up the offensive numbers Ryan O'Reilly does but the defensive part of ROR's game is why I'm really interested - only one penalty this season and he's a great defensive player - I don't know if Brayden Schenn will ever be as good defensively as ROR already is, that's why I'm really interested in something like this

They might end up paying Brayden Schenn a little more money than what they want, and eventually they might have to pay him more than what they can

Who knows

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they would have to give up too much to equal his value and stay under the cap. Besides, they have enough forward depth.

The thing is, they could give up too much cap and have cap trouble by trying to get a top d-man as well, too

People don't realize, the Flyers have a lot of good young d-men waiting in the wings, if they think they can be good which we think can be the case, why not go after Ryan O'Reilly - if it takes Brayden Schenn plus maybe one more piece, wouldn't you do it? You still have Sean Couturier and Scott Laughton in the fold so if you get Ryan O'Reilly you really solidify the 2nd line, and it's not like ROR is old like Vinny or other guys the Flyers have gotten, he's just as young as Brayden Schenn so if you get ROR you'd have him for a while, and if the cap does go up, his possible contract would be good because you'd get him in his prime

This is one of the very few guys I would encourage the Flyers to go after or at least call about - this would be much better than going after Kesler imo

EDIT: And I like Brayden Schenn a lot too, but Ryan O'Reilly is one of the few guys I'd trade for

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, they could give up too much cap and have cap trouble by trying to get a top d-man as well, too

People don't realize, the Flyers have a lot of good young d-men waiting in the wings, if they think they can be good which we think can be the case, why not go after Ryan O'Reilly - if it takes Brayden Schenn plus maybe one more piece, wouldn't you do it? You still have Sean Couturier and Scott Laughton in the fold so if you get Ryan O'Reilly you really solidify the 2nd line, and it's not like ROR is old like Vinny or other guys the Flyers have gotten, he's just as young as Brayden Schenn so if you get ROR you'd have him for a while, and if the cap does go up, his possible contract would be good because you'd get him in his prime

This is one of the very few guys I would encourage the Flyers to go after or at least call about - this would be much better than going after Kesler imo

EDIT: And I like Brayden Schenn a lot too, but Ryan O'Reilly is one of the few guys I'd trade for

I would do it if the price is right and if they could get their cap space down somehow. They would surely have to find a way to deal Lacavalier if they were to do this move IMO.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's all about the price of getting him but at the same time I'm getting tired of seeing ex-Flyers on other teams doing well that we gave up on. Schenn may just break out this year....

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's all about the price of getting him but at the same time I'm getting tired of seeing ex-Flyers on other teams doing well that we gave up on. Schenn may just break out this year....

I want to be patient too but Brayden Schenn better make the next step come next season

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's all about cap management to me. at some point you have to stop trading for other people's finished goods. that's how you get tangled up in cap craziness. I defend homer's time here a lot, but this is where he messed up. he was great and trading for other people's 'finished goods', and frequently made contenders out of them. but that's what has you playing games at the cap ceiling every year.

to be competitive year in and year out, you have to draft and develop your own talent. you have to have guys on ELC's or bridge contracts, so that you have the money to pay for the last guy that gets you over the edge. Schenn at 3 mil is a value contract. ROR, while a better player than Schenn, is not a value addition to the team at 6.5-7 mil. The Flyers already have Giroux, Hartnell, Lecavalier, and the entire defense (minus timonen) on at least somewhat bloated contracts. They can't afford to take on ROR imo.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love ROR but the only way the Flyers get him is through and offer sheet. To do that they'd have to move Vinny and at least Gossmann. We'd be bringing him in to play LW not C, he played most of this season at LW. There are a few good arguments here about cap hit and trade cost but honestly I can't see us going in that direction at this point and there's one HUGE reason why.

Bobby Ryan is a UFA after this season. I have a feeling he's dying to come play at home and that would totally solve our lack of depth at LW and wouldn't cost us anything but money, which the organization has tons of.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love ROR but the only way the Flyers get him is through and offer sheet. To do that they'd have to move Vinny and at least Gossmann. We'd be bringing him in to play LW not C, he played most of this season at LW. There are a few good arguments here about cap hit and trade cost but honestly I can't see us going in that direction at this point and there's one HUGE reason why.

Bobby Ryan is a UFA after this season. I have a feeling he's dying to come play at home and that would totally solve our lack of depth at LW and wouldn't cost us anything but money, which the organization has tons of.

That is true, but I'm curious if the Flyers wanting more speed in their lineup might shy them away from him, because he's not the fleetest of foot

The ROR discussion is good regardless, that's why I brought it up - he's one heck of a player imo, and he's still young which makes him very valuable and attractive to other teams