• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson wants the richest contract in NFL history

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we were told many times that paying those guys the contracts they have would not create an issue once they had to start paying Wilson real QB money. Did I miss something along the way?
I agree, but anyone who thinks they don't get a Wilson contract done is crazy. They may have to tag him for a year, but rest assured, they will get it done.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly if russell wilson was a free agent and he wanted a 7 year 130+ million dollar contract how many teams would be banging on his door to give him that? I love the guy but dude your not aaron rodgers just be reasonable taking the money and not performing will make you a hated man in the league

A third of the league would be banging at his door trying to sign him at or close to his asking price if he was an RFA.

7 years @ $130 mil is under $19 mil AAV. That is really not that high of a number factoring cap inflation over that period of time.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but anyone who thinks they don't get a Wilson contract done is crazy. They may have to tag him for a year, but rest assured, they will get it done.

And the tag value will be near what he wants and how does that value fit under the cap next year without dumping others on the team?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the tag value will be near what he wants and how does that value fit under the cap next year without dumping others on the team?
You look at the Seahawks cap for 2016, 2017 ? They can fit him in no prob. Expendable players like Irvin, Mabane, may have to move on, but that's a OK.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A franchise QB is the hardest thing to find for a football team so when a team has one why do you only leave $11 mil in cap space to sign one long term?
I agree, a franchise QB should get the highest contract on the team.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Restructuring, prorated bonuses, cuts, etc. They will make it happen. Manipulating the cap is a valued skill in the league these days.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Seahawks have plenty of 2016 cap space to sign Wilson, Wagner, Okung, & others. Roughly $36 mil at this point, not factoring any rollover 2015 cap space.

Once Wilson & Wagner are extended, they are going to have to make some hard choices over the next few seasons & will have little money to spend in free agency.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks have plenty of 2016 cap space to sign Wilson, Wagner, Okung, & others. Roughly $36 mil at this point, not factoring any rollover 2015 cap space.

Once Wilson & Wagner are extended, they are going to have to make some hard choices over the next few seasons & will have little money to spend in free agency.
Someone who actually looks at the cap, and understands it. Sweet!

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Course it will cost the Seahawks. I disagree with the part about every deal done before Wilson will make a difference, unless it was Luck, which doesn't seem likely.
How can't every deal have an effect? Tanny just got 16. He hasn't accomplished anything yet. More $ gets guarenteed with each one. The NFLPA gets involved. They start pressuring players and agents to go for more, don't settle because it sets a precedence.
RW is getting paid big by someone. It's either 20+, or a huge guarentee, or extremely long like 8 years. Or a combination of all.
If they choose to tag him. Now Luck and Flacco's contracts come into tge picture for sure. Plus you more thsn likely piss off RW by tagging him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can't every deal have an effect? Tanny just got 16. He hasn't accomplished anything yet. More $ gets guarenteed with each one. The NFLPA gets involved. They start pressuring players and agents to go for more, don't settle because it sets a precedence.
RW is getting paid big by someone. It's either 20+, or a huge guarentee, or extremely long like 8 years. Or a combination of all.
If they choose to tag him. Now Luck and Flacco's contracts come into tge picture for sure. Plus you more thsn likely piss off RW by tagging him.
I doubt RW or the Seahawks consider certain QBs contracts as being applicable . The Tannehill contract for one.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt RW or the Seahawks consider certain QBs contracts as being applicable . The Tannehill contract for one.

I am sure that Seattle would love to apply Tannehill's or Dalton's contract to the situation...

Wilson, not so much.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, but like I said the NFLPA certainly does.
Go ahead I'm waiting. Blow that Seattle Hawk home town golden fairy dust discount up my ass I'm waiting.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, but like I said the NFLPA certainly does.
Go ahead I'm waiting. Blow that Seattle Hawk home town golden fairy dust discount up my ass I'm waiting.
RW is not signing cheap. I'm good with that. I know I won't if I was in his place.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are clueless.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick question.

When you franchise tag someone it means the player must be a top 5 paid player at their position. What does top 5 paid mean?

Does it mean top 5 cap hit?
Does it mean top 5 base salary?
Does it mean top 5 total cash?

I ask because I don't know, and whichever it is would be a vastly different number from the others.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RW is not signing cheap. I'm good with that. I know I won't if I was in his place.
Ok we've now agreed on two things this year. I forget what the 1st was thought:lol: