• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson vs 49ers

France_Steve

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Although we are all enjoying the win I wanted to go over Wilson's performance a bit.

Incompletions: Several of his passes were very bad. Out of character for him because he is normally very accurate. The one that I seem to remember the most is the throw to Willson in the first quarter and the throw to Miller in the endzone. Normally he makes both of these throws, but here he didn't give either of them a chance.

Completions: Several of his completions were very impressive. Although the players were for the most part wide open, they were perfect throws. Baldwin and Lynch twice were wide open and he found them for easy to catch passes. His stats were also hindered a bit by penalties. The PI on tate and on Rice took away from his yards, the holding calls took away his beautiful shovel pass to tate. Best completion was either the td to Lynch with two monsters getting ready to annihilate him which showed his poise, or the pass over the middle to Rice, which showed his accuracy.

Interception: Threw up a jump ball to Tate to make a play on it. Can't blame Wilson that Tate fell over. He would have at least been able to get a hand on it and prevent the interception, maybe even been able to outjump the guy and catch it.

Avoiding pressure: Tough to say because after Okung went out he had constant pressure. However, he took several very bad sacks. Bailed out on one because of the facemask penalty. There were very few vintage Wilson plays, where he runs around and finds a throw. But he constantly had to deal with long first downs because of penalties and constant pressure so this was the most difficult category to judge. Someone who knows football better than me should analyze this for me.

Rushing: Did a fair job running the ball, but again his best play was called back on a penalty. Did a good job getting out of bounds for the most part, took two big hits, one of which could easily been called a penalty.

Overall: Not a great performance, but not as bad as it seems. If it were not for three or four penalties he would have had over two hundred yards passing against a good defense. He can play better and make more accurate throws, but again he did enough for us to win and made plays at the right times. I give him a 5.5/10.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah good assessment and if i may add he was getting rushed a lot by the Niners in the first half,they seemed to put a ton of energy trying to get to him and by second half they were moving more slow.

Wilson on a few plays could of ran imo and did not so i assuming Pete and Co told him not to.

nflspense

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called "read-option", and it looks like a read-option, but I think most of them aren't. I'd bet Bevell calls one every now and then for RW to read, but most he's just supposed to hand off.

Alvin Bailey will hopefully be able to start for Okung. He was listed as inactive so they couldn't put him in there, and moved McQuist over. Bailey was strong from there in preseason, hopefully he gets some snaps.

The Miller throw was strange, I think Wilson was trying to avoid getting Miller lit-up by the LB crashing in, but that made the window so small it didn't have a chance.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also add that it was wet and I think it took both QBs a little time to adjust although Kaep did not adjust as much. In general, he is less accurate and I think the Hawks goal was to actually get him on the move where he is even more inaccurate.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't expect that kind of game from him again this year. Pretty much everything about this game was a bit off. Wilson and Lynch have each put up a clunker this year (with the offensive line not providing much help for them in their respective clunkers), but the defense has dominated twice, so it hasn't been a problem. What should be encouraging about this is that the defense isn't even at full strength yet and they're already dominant. What's it gonna be like when we get Clemons, Irvin and Browner back in the next 1-3 weeks? With the defense already dominant and those guys' returns on the horizon, the offense doesn't have to be clicking right now for the Seahawks to win. That isn't to say that I wouldn't feel better if they worked out the kinks and started playing like they're capable of playing on offense, but it's reassuring to know that if they're having a bad day, the defense is going to have their back.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to hammer home the point, the Seahawks are #1 in points allowed and went into the Monday Night game at #2 in yards allowed this year and now we're #1 in that category too. We also have the #1 turnover differential in the league so far. About the only thing this defense doesn't do well is avoid penalties. We have the 4th most defensive penalties in the league and the 2nd most defensive penalty yardage in the league. They clean that up and their job gets even easier. I know it's early, but we have the best defense in the league. When you have the best defense in the league, you can afford to have off nights on offense as long as you don't have too many of them.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Niners defense get's credit for making life difficult that first half...They were really playing solid and guy's were just NOT getting open downfield... You could see on replay's how there was just nothing there for Wilson... Not to mention the heat upfront they were bringing... I thought Wilson did a good job as the game rolled along... That's not and easy defense for sure and I expected some struggles ...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They put San Fran's defense into submission in the second half and that isn't easy to do against those guys.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth is the offense will get better ...much better..and the defense is already lights outs, God help the rest of the NFL!

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They put San Fran's defense into submission in the second half and that isn't easy to do against those guys.

The ankle injury to our NT Williams in I think the 2nd quarter was the difference maker defensively for us. Soon after he was hurt, Turbin and Lynch started ripping off 4+ yard runs with regularity. Once that started happening, the 3rd and longs that Wilson was seeing turned into 2nd and 5 and, if it got to that point, 3rd and 2, all situations that are much easier to manage. Losing Reid at FS didn't help as he has been VERY good in the small sample size he has shown.

France_Steve

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The ankle injury to our NT Williams in I think the 2nd quarter was the difference maker defensively for us. Soon after he was hurt, Turbin and Lynch started ripping off 4+ yard runs with regularity. Once that started happening, the 3rd and longs that Wilson was seeing turned into 2nd and 5 and, if it got to that point, 3rd and 2, all situations that are much easier to manage. Losing Reid at FS didn't help as he has been VERY good in the small sample size he has shown.

I think it was a combination of losing the NT and the defense getting worn out. The plan for the offense is to wear the defense out, and it was working. And I agree about Reid, he laid some big hits against GB.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a combination of losing the NT and the defense getting worn out. The plan for the offense is to wear the defense out, and it was working. And I agree about Reid, he laid some big hits against GB.

It's a lot easier to wear the defense out when the offense is doing absolutely nothing to keep them off the field. The defense looked dominant in the first half but mistakes on offense and lack of any sustained drives helped wear the defense out as well.

Losing Williams was a huge blow and will continue to be one.

France_Steve

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's a lot easier to wear the defense out when the offense is doing absolutely nothing to keep them off the field. The defense looked dominant in the first half but mistakes on offense and lack of any sustained drives helped wear the defense out as well.

Losing Williams was a huge blow and will continue to be one.

Let's not get too far off track here though. Tell us what you thought of Wilson's performance.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you injuries played a roll but Seattle's offense was finally clicking in the second half and wore out SF defense which rarely happens.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a week in which Wilson had his best regular season game of his career (yardage-wise), I'm not worried about his performance against San Francisco. I'm more worried about the offensive line, to be honest. Wilson was getting chased or having to hurry throws all night and it got worse immediately after Okung went out. With Okung out for who knows how long, the offensive line is really going to have to step up and if they can't, it's incumbent upon Bevell to find a way to get Wilson more time. Whether it's getting opposing defenses fixated on the run to open up play-action or rolling Wilson out more often, something's going to have to be done if the offensive line can't pull it together.