• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson kills me sometimes

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think I'd like him quite a lot if he were my team's QB, but sometimes he takes himself way too seriously, and he can come off as trying too hard.

Something about this just rubs me the wrong way.

Russell Wilson's advice for young WRs - NFC West Blog - ESPN

A few things. First, thanks for sharing your incredible insight about what makes or breaks preseason for WRs...after one full preseason. Second,

"When things aren't going well, when you drop one, how can you keep coming back?" Wilson said. "That is what Sidney Rice does well; that is what Doug Baldwin does well; that's what Golden Tate does really well; that's what Percy Harvin does really well when he's here. Those guys are just relentless competitors, and they want the ball again."

Oh, is that what Percy does really well? In the three practices you had with him? Well that's good to know.

Anyway, just found this kind of grating. Up there with him referring to Kap as "a good kid." You know, that guy who's several months older than him.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I even heard some people up here who have voiced some irritation at his robotic answers. His platitude "The separation is in the preparation" is just annoying. These meaningless platitudes are just substitutes for thoughtful answers and to me are signs of a lack of depth more than anything else. Kaepernick was pretty bad in his press conferences last year, but in interviews I think he gives pretty thoughtful and genuine responses.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I even heard some people up here who have voiced some irritation at his robotic answers. His platitude "The separation is in the preparation" is just annoying. These meaningless platitudes are just substitutes for thoughtful answers and to me are signs of a lack of depth more than anything else. Kaepernick was pretty bad in his press conferences last year, but in interviews I think he gives pretty thoughtful and genuine responses.

It seems to be catching among NFC West QBs. Dd you catch kaepernick's soliloquy on Kyle Williams today? WTF?

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Brees is the king of this. He is a really good dude, don't get me wrong. However, he just has to always say the right thing. I was at the ESPYS last year and he won an award. The speech he gave came off as sooooo over the top it was awkward. As annoying as some of these guys are, at least Moss, and TO were honest.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Wilson's interview on ESPN today. He sounds much more articulate than Kaep but he also comes off as a total fraud. Very calculated, almost practiced persona.

It's pretty annoying.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Brees is the king of this. He is a really good dude, don't get me wrong. However, he just has to always say the right thing. I was at the ESPYS last year and he won an award. The speech he gave came off as sooooo over the top it was awkward. As annoying as some of these guys are, at least Moss, and TO were honest.

At least Moss was honest. TO would be honest and then backtrack and blame the media if people took exception to his honesty. I never could stand that about TO.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting really tired of this guy. Every time he opens his mouth he sounds like a rehearsed twit.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Moss was honest. TO would be honest and then backtrack and blame the media if people took exception to his honesty. I never could stand that about TO.

I never could stand that about the media.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think he's killing you now?

Seriously though, I agree that Wilson does always say the right thing and guys like that can get on your nerves. But Moss and TO weren't QBs. A QB cant afford to be as jaded as those dudes were, and if they are, their careers cont last long. In this media driven NFL, you can never be too safe with what you say in an interview, so I guess you could say he's trying to just stay on the safe side and "above reproach"as to not rub anyone the wrong way and be known for anything other than a good football player.

And this one is not even a good comment to get annoyed with, Russell the Robot has said way more stick-up-his-butt type comments. He was just giving his receiving core a thumbs up through the media. :-bd

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What gets me is that from what I understand is he's like that with his teammates and get ribbing from other guys on the team about it.

Even though it drives me nuts when athletes respond to questions like they are running for office or they have a speech writer sitting next to them typing out the answers for them I do understand why they do it.

But man you could let loose a bit when it comes to being around your team. I mean I know you're trying to be a leader but being just one of the guys has it's merits of building bonds as well. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy you would invite over to have some beers or go to the club with unless you need a designated driver.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't much to like about Wilson outside of football. Definitely a top ten candidate for the most boring athlete in professional sports. He seems to really try to be mature and confident when in the spotlight.... perhaps he tries a little too hard.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is laughable.....

"I don't like him b/c he's well spoken"

"I don't like him because he's boring"

"He's a fraud"

lol, I guess being a good guy is bad nowadays?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What gets me is that from what I understand is he's like that with his teammates and get ribbing from other guys on the team about it.

Even though it drives me nuts when athletes respond to questions like they are running for office or they have a speech writer sitting next to them typing out the answers for them I do understand why they do it.

But man you could let loose a bit when it comes to being around your team. I mean I know you're trying to be a leader but being just one of the guys has it's merits of building bonds as well. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy you would invite over to have some beers or go to the club with unless you need a designated driver.

That is a bit strange. Maybe he's still figuring out how to be the leader of the team, which is a challenge for a young player, and as a result, he's coming off a bit forced. It will be interesting to see how he develops in that area.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

"He's a fraud"

No, but being fake is. A couple people have said they don't like him because he's boring. I don't have any problem with that. Peyton Manning is pretty darn boring off the field at the end of the day. So is Drew Brees. It's the sense that he is forcing himself to play a particular role that rubs me the wrong way. And I feel that many of his answers are not just stock answers, but are disingenuous.

It's certainly better than a guy who is causing problems, but it's still odd. And it's one thing to be that way in front of the press, but if he also comes off as aloof in the locker room, I think that's potentially a problem. All is good when you're winning, but if guys think yo have a superior attitude and you start to struggle, there is a potential for it to go downhill fast. Especially on a young team.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he comes across as having a superior attitude, but I do think he comes across as really robotic. I've heard that one thing that his teammates rally to about him is that in the huddle if you just looked at him, you couldn't tell if they were up by 50, down by 50, or driving for the winning score with one play left. His teammates have said that's a huge leadership plus for them. He also works harder than anyone else on the team, on that score he and Kaepernick have a lot in common. I just think that he's a strong leader even if they're losing, but he may not be the type of qb leader that the team feels really warm about -- unless he's a lot different in private, but in all the interviews his teammates have said he's the same not in front of the camera.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think he comes across as having a superior attitude, but I do think he comes across as really robotic. I've heard that one thing that his teammates rally to about him is that in the huddle if you just looked at him, you couldn't tell if they were up by 50, down by 50, or driving for the winning score with one play left. His teammates have said that's a huge leadership plus for them. He also works harder than anyone else on the team, on that score he and Kaepernick have a lot in common. I just think that he's a strong leader even if they're losing, but he may not be the type of qb leader that the team feels really warm about -- unless he's a lot different in private, but in all the interviews his teammates have said he's the same not in front of the camera.

Yeah, as said, on balance I'd take steady over bad passionate. But my preference is for good passionate.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's not a case of him being a bad guy, uppity or disingenuous but just having answers soooooo stock that it makes you roll your eyes when you hear them and think "Seriously dude?"

It's the same reaction you would get if someone told you a lame knock knock joke or gave you some really cheesy pun or line.

As long as he performs it's doesn't mean a single thing. The guys on the field respond to performance on the field and as long as he performs he can spout all the cheesy platitudes and PC PR speak he wants and nobody will care.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"He's a fraud"

Don't get us started on Aaron Rodgers. He might be more of an asshat than Wilson is. Actually, he is more of an asshat than Wilson is. Went to the media to complain when the niners benched Alex Smith in favor of Kaepernick and made a bet with boys II men that if they did the half time show in Green Bay and SF won he would wear a Smith Jersey... Niners won and he welched.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get us started on Aaron Rodgers. He might be more of an asshat than Wilson is. Actually, he is more of an asshat than Wilson is. Went to the media to complain when the niners benched Alex Smith in favor of Kaepernick and made a bet with boys II men that if they did the half time show in Green Bay and SF won he would wear a Smith Jersey... Niners won and he welched.

Damn, Niner fans are touchy I guess...lol.

I didn't bring ARodg into this discussion, I'm just backing Wilson against unwarranted hatred.