• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RR's future

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The news just came out that Will Muschamp is stepping down at Florida after finishing out the last 2 remaining games.

Personally, I hope that RR stays here for a decade, at least, and establishes a winning tradition here at the UofA of competeing every year for the conference title game...

...but the realist in me knows that a guy like RR, with his offensive style, could have a MUCH easier time recruiting 5-star skill guys to Gainsville than to Tucson... and the thought seems a bit silly seeings as how Anu and Wilson are both freshman, and you can't tell me there is better Freshmen QB/RB combo in the nation to work with and grow over the next 2+ seasons...

and all that said, would it surprise any of us if RR took a job at a traditional FB power school if it was offered? I mean, in many ways, UofA football is not unlike Xavier basketball. Some success, some good pro players who have come through, but no real winning tradition on a national scale, and when coach Miller came to Tucson, it seemed like a no-brainer. Would it be that different for RR-to-Florida?... or some other Football power school?

I guess what I'm saying is, it would be nice to hear coach RR say publicly that he is not accepting any interviews and will be here for the long haul, but that's not how business works. He will likely take some interviews at some point, even if it's only to increase his leverage at the UofA.

So, I guess what I'm asking is... on a scale of 1-10, how worried are you guys that RR leaves Tucson for a traditional FB power school in the next few years?

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think RR at least takes the call and hears him out. It doesn't do us any good that Michigan fell off, because that validates RR that his coaching at UM was much less of the problem.

That being said (and perhaps more being hopeful), I think there is a very strong case that RR stays, and stays a while. He had great success at UWV. He left for greener pastures and I have to believe that regardless of what is happening at UM now, it left a bad taste in his mouth. He can fly under the radar in terms of overwhelming pressure, if he stays here. If he goes to UF, his expectations will be ridiculous at UF.

If he can get another win or two by the time it's all said and done this season, he will have built a great thing at AZ (much like UWV), and has so much to move forward with. I think that another successful year next year, and he can really start getting some of those recruits. I'm not saying that football recruiting at AZ will ever be what it is at other places he could coach, but I think he realizes that he can do more with less, really compete, and not have to worry about a base like UF's constantly wanting playoff-or-bust like years.

Honestly, if I was RR, I would stay just because he knows that he can really build a program here (just like he did at UWV). If he leaves, he has to start all over and still deal with the pressure. He has a lot going for him here with what he has for the next couple-few years.

Of course, no one is going to really be surprised if he goes, but I think he can at least see the potential of what he has if he stays. Think about it. AZ next year will be ranked in the preseason, and it's realistic to think that AZ (with RR) will be better than UF (with RR) for the next 3 years. At that point, RR could have a very very good thing going here, and it might be enough to stay. UF's ceiling is much higher in the future, but it would be such a risk for him to leave, start over, and deal with everything that is UF and SEC football. I just think that in 3 years, he will have been here for 6 years and would have a solid, sturdy, and competing program here. If he leaves, he could have more, or much less.

He put together top ten seasons with 10 and 11 win seasons at UWV. He is knocking on the door to do that in just 3 years, here. And, he really doesn't have any pressure in Tucson. Gainesville is very tempting, but what he has here already should show him that Tucson is a safe bet to at least get back to that point. If he stays, gets 9-10 wins this year, and follows it up with the same next year, he can get the recruits he needs to keep AZ fighting at the top of the Pac and making real noise, nationally.

Guess we'll see. He also has that money waiting for him in like 2019.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... that's the thing, is that the UofA has no brand-recognition when it comes to football recruiting. It's obviously not like the BB program, you can't just walk into a 4-5 stars living room with your UofA gear on and say, we want you... and have that be enough.

However, what with the new football facilities, RR now has a lot to market to top recruits. If the coaching staff stays, and they can build upon their success of the last few years, then down the road they can, and will be landing top-flight HS players.

Right now, the UofA has some very, very good skill players, obviously... especially at WR, RB, QB... but the reality is, a talented coach who is offense-first could step into that job at Florida and could instantly pick up a top-10 recruiting class, based on history alone.

Me, I'm with you, obviously. I hope that RR stays for a decade, at least, and developes this program into something bigger and better... into something that is sustainable year after year. They are so very close to that goal, just need another year or two to keep increasing the depth of the roster and they could (will) be competing for the South title perennially.

Time will tell. I hope that he stays, but the more success he has here and the more "destination" jobs that open up, the more nervous all of us will be that he leaves.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... that's the thing, is that the UofA has no brand-recognition when it comes to football recruiting. It's obviously not like the BB program, you can't just walk into a 4-5 stars living room with your UofA gear on and say, we want you... and have that be enough.

However, what with the new football facilities, RR now has a lot to market to top recruits. If the coaching staff stays, and they can build upon their success of the last few years, then down the road they can, and will be landing top-flight HS players.

Right now, the UofA has some very, very good skill players, obviously... especially at WR, RB, QB... but the reality is, a talented coach who is offense-first could step into that job at Florida and could instantly pick up a top-10 recruiting class, based on history alone.

Me, I'm with you, obviously. I hope that RR stays for a decade, at least, and developes this program into something bigger and better... into something that is sustainable year after year. They are so very close to that goal, just need another year or two to keep increasing the depth of the roster and they could (will) be competing for the South title perennially.

Time will tell. I hope that he stays, but the more success he has here and the more "destination" jobs that open up, the more nervous all of us will be that he leaves.

And that's a great point. Bottom line is that UF will not even be the only suitor to come knocking, this year. And even if he does turn it down, with more good seasons, the more people will knock, and the louder it will get. So with success will come some insecurity. I do think that if he goes, it won't be long, given another successful year, next year. If he turns down UF though, that's a pretty big statement about his will to stay. There are only a handful of other schools that could match or raise what UF will offer.

Hahaha, hopefully they go after Graham? :noidea::suds:

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate him for beating Oregon, but he makes the pac better.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's a great point. Bottom line is that UF will not even be the only suitor to come knocking, this year. And even if he does turn it down, with more good seasons, the more people will knock, and the louder it will get. So with success will come some insecurity. I do think that if he goes, it won't be long, given another successful year, next year. If he turns down UF though, that's a pretty big statement about his will to stay. There are only a handful of other schools that could match or raise what UF will offer.

Hahaha, hopefully they go after Graham? :noidea::suds:

Yes, exactly and that is why I brought it up now. It seems to me like RR to Florida rumors have been going on for months now... not a new thing... and... If he is asked pointedly about it, and says "no, I have no interest in the Florida job", then that will be a huge statement to the process here at Arizona and how much he believes in it.

... and, obviously this will not be the first, or the last major FB school opening that he is rumored for. The more wins he has here, the more viable he will be for a top-10 FB school job.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't thing Rich Rod wants to relive the Michigan days with all the pressures that comes with it. I think he realizes that he has a good thing going on here. Expectations are fairly low, pac 12 is a solid conference, and the fans absolutely love him! I know I'm being an optimist but I think he stays! Plus we have a secret weapon in Greg Byrne.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope Florida gets scared of how things went in Michigan for RR and decides to look another way because it would be difficult to turn down an offer from Florida even with how great the future is here.

Todd Graham has also came up as a potential option for Florida and that would be great if he left Tempe that quickly.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope Florida gets scared of how things went in Michigan for RR and decides to look another way because it would be difficult to turn down an offer from Florida even with how great the future is here.

Todd Graham has also came up as a potential option for Florida and that would be great if he left Tempe that quickly.

It would be his "dream job."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure I just heard an espn insider say that Rich Rod will NOT be considered for the job at Flordia. Hope he's right :yahoo:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure I just heard an espn insider say that Rich Rod will NOT be considered for the job at Flordia. Hope he's right :yahoo:

Let's hope so. Florida fans don't want him either. Imagine how Solomon would feel if he just bolted considering Rich Rods style and the direction of the program was the main reason he committed to us.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports Center just confirmed Rodriguez is not in the running.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good time for RR to come out say he's not interested in Florida, lol.

I'm not sure RR has done quite enough to tempt Florida just yet. If the Cats drop the next two and lose a bowl game to BYU or something, they won't be that impressed. If he wins out and they end up in the CFP conversation after beating Oregon twice...well, that's different.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good time for RR to come out say he's not interested in Florida, lol.

I'm not sure RR has done quite enough to tempt Florida just yet. If the Cats drop the next two and lose a bowl game to BYU or something, they won't be that impressed. If he wins out and they end up in the CFP conversation after beating Oregon twice...well, that's different.

That won't happen....... If any team from the Pac 12 south goes to a low bowl game they will blow that team out, people will see how underrated the South is and how its a freaking blood bath. But you guys won't lose to Utah.... You match up well with your ability to run, Solomon just needs to protect the ball and you guys just need to load the box. There a good physical team with a great defense but there offense is crap, just don't turn it over and be solid against the run and you guys should win.

Rich Rod likes the job where he is under the radar but still gets national attention because of what he's doing at UA, and the fact that he has good job security, and is in a good conference, in a location where his family can settle down. I don't see him leaving for a long time. Especially with what happened at Michigan he should of never been fired.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham won't leave unless its a Texas job, he doesn't want to be known as a job hopper. He will only settle for a good texas gig.

azchamps

Hoopla Cash
$ 84.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say (admit it) but, unfortunately, Arizona football is nothing more than a stepping stone for head coaches.
We will never get a good to great coach to stay here.
That is why I take our football program with a grain of salt. The only coach that could have gotten us to the Rose Bowl, (12 and 1 Tomey) was fired!
I'm a homer and a realist....I accept that Tucson is a basketball town.

GO CATS! BEAR DOWN!

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say (admit it) but, unfortunately, Arizona football is nothing more than a stepping stone for head coaches.
We will never get a good to great coach to stay here.
That is why I take our football program with a grain of salt. The only coach that could have gotten us to the Rose Bowl, (12 and 1 Tomey) was fired!
I'm a homer and a realist....I accept that Tucson is a basketball town.

GO CATS! BEAR DOWN!

Rich rod won't leave he has a nice little gig an he is at a school where he has great job security.

After what happened at Michigan he won't take a big time job.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham is still underrated IMO........ And we are thankful, Graham would be a 10x better coach than strong wut a dumb hire by Texas, strong brings no toughness, defense, discipline all the things Texas was lacking with Brown but Graham preaches that stuff.

azchamps

Hoopla Cash
$ 84.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Graham and RR stay in the State of Arizona, I believe the State of Arizona is the place no one will want to bring their team to play.
Sorry asWHO,
GO CATS! BEAR DOWN!

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RR is officially off the list to coach UF.

Fuck yeah.