• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL ROY should be...

Who should win Rookie of the Year?

• Ben Simmons

• Donovan Mitchell

• I know there's no other real option but I just wanna cause trouble.

Results are only viewable after voting.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. I guess. Seems like that is all stuff that gets sorted out in pre-season but maybe that affects the entire year for rookies.

The advantages to Simmons are being overplayed. As they say, haters are going to hate.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It absolutely does. That's why the "rookie wall" is a real thing. They go from playing 20-30 something games to 82 (more if they are on a playoff team) and travelling regionally to travelling nationally.

Again, doesn't mean that Simmons shouldn't get the award or shouldn't be eligible. Just that he had an advantage beyond his talent.

Simmons didn’t play 82 games last season so that advantage is moot. He also didn’t travel with the team until halfway through the season. The travel rationale would seem to apply to Euroleague players, which you’ve rejected as being comparable.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It absolutely does. That's why the "rookie wall" is a real thing. They go from playing 20-30 something games to 82 (more if they are on a playoff team) and travelling regionally to travelling nationally.

Again, doesn't mean that Simmons shouldn't get the award or shouldn't be eligible. Just that he had an advantage beyond his talent.

But we aren't talking about a playing going beyond 20-30 games to 82. We are talking a player wearing street clothes and, possibly, traveling around with the team as a glorified cheerleader for 82 games.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons didn’t play 82 games last season so that advantage is moot. He also didn’t travel with the team until halfway through the season. The travel rationale would seem to apply to Euroleague players, which you’ve rejected as being comparable.

It doesn't matter if he played 82 games, that's the only thing that isn't an advantage.

He travelled with the team enough to get used to the travel.

He practiced with the team before the injury and after he got better.

He watched and broke down film with the team.

He was coached by NBA coaches.

He was trained by NBA trainers.

He got to see how NBA players, eat sleep, prepare.

He learned his teams system.

He learned how his teammates fit into the system and their strengths and weaknesses.

Which other rookies got that?

The travel doesn't apply the same to the Euroleagues because they don't travel as extensively as the NBA because the countries are smaller. Euroleague travel is more similar to college travel than NBA travel.

These are all fact. It's not about hate.

As I said, Simmons deserves the award and there's no reason to disqualify him. He likely would have won it last year had he played. But there's also no reason to deny that he had an advantage.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly some creative arguments being tossed around.

Including by former NBA players who know a helluva a lot more about it than any of us and are saying the same things, including that it shouldn't disqualify him.

Reggie Miller said essentially the same thing on Dan Patrick this morning.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we aren't talking about a playing going beyond 20-30 games to 82. We are talking a player wearing street clothes and, possibly, traveling around with the team as a glorified cheerleader for 82 games.

If you think that's all it was, read post #45.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter if he played 82 games, that's the only thing that isn't an advantage.

He travelled with the team enough to get used to the travel.

He practiced with the team before the injury and after he got better.

He watched and broke down film with the team.

He was coached by NBA coaches.

He was trained by NBA trainers.

He got to see how NBA players, eat sleep, prepare.

He learned his teams system.

He learned how his teammates fit into the system and their strengths and weaknesses.

Which other rookies got that?

The travel doesn't apply the same to the Euroleagues because they don't travel as extensively as the NBA because the countries are smaller. Euroleague travel is more similar to college travel than NBA travel.

These are all fact. It's not about hate.

As I said, Simmons deserves the award and there's no reason to disqualify him. He likely would have won it last year had he played. But there's also no reason to deny that he had an advantage.

Sooo a G league player is different how?

In 50 years of following sports I have NEVER heard this argument until this year. Sure as shit didn't hear it with Blake Griffin.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooo a G league player is different how?

In 50 years of following sports I have NEVER heard this argument until this year. Sure as shit didn't hear it with Blake Griffin.

We also didn’t hear it last year when Embiid was the obvious front runner, prior to his injury. And he had TWO years of spending time with the team.